beef jerky..the stuff little boys dreams are made of [General]

2009 Mar 22
while my gf may hate it there's nothing that please me more than a giant bag of hickory smoked beef jerky and a cold brew.

whats your favorite kind/flavor?
do you make your own and how?
where do you find the best deals?

2009 Mar 22
Some of the guys at work were recently in Cold Lake (Alberta) and one (hi Stephane) brought back buffalo jerky from Hamels Meats (www.hamelsmeats.com).

I was blown away, as it was the best jerky I've tasted: full of flavour and not too sweet (the most heinous crime of jerky). We'll be putting in a group order sometime and I've pretty much decided on 1 lb of Buffalo Original, 1/2 lb of Pork Mesquite, and 1/2 of Turkey Santa Fe. The Buffalo Original is amazing enough that I'll happily order the others untasted and untested.

I'd love to hear recommendations for jerky sources in Ottawa. Most of the grocery store stuff I've tried is either too sweet or it just tastes like dried blood. Erggh!

2009 Mar 22
I was at a wedding in NS last summer and one of the groom's family had come down from Nunavut for it. She brought a whole bunch of muskox jerky which absolutely fantastic! Without question the best jerky I'd ever had. Too bad I have no way to ever get some again :-(

2009 Mar 22
I have loved the taste and texture of beef jerky since I was a young boy. However, once I became a vegetarian seven years ago, I sadly had to say good-bye to this favourite treat. That is, until I discovered the vegetarian's alternative to the animal source.

They're called "Primal Strips" and can be found at Herb & Spice. Available in at least six or seven flavours, they are packed with protein and iron but very low in fat.

What amazes me most is how absolutely authentic these things are. I sometimes forget that I'm not actually eating real meat. Great stuff and not too expensive, considering what a niche market they serve.

2009 Mar 22
fresh foodie -definitely let me know when you do a group order, id be in for sure.

I hear alot of internet chatter about www.bigjohnsbeefjerky.com/
and they have always have really good deals and sometimes free shipping to Canada. My gf bought and shipped some to her brother who said it was pretty good but I have yet to personally try it but he lives in Brandon, Manitoba so I am sure he knows his jerky.

ive seen those primal strips but just havent had the courage to buy them yet..what if i like them more than real meat!

ive also heard alot of ppl rave about asian style jerky, anyone have any experience with that?

2009 Mar 22
I'm also a big fan of the Primal Strips or Sticks (at the Herb & Spice on Bank).
Soy or wheat protein or shiitake mushrooms are the main ingredient. They're great for long bike rides. A little hit of salt & protein, they're super light and in a waterproof package.

Here's the ingredient list from the mesquite lime:
INGREDIENTS: Non-GMO vital gluten (wheat protein), water, unrefined evaporated cane juice, naturally brewed soy sauce (water, non-GMO soybeans, wheat, sea salt), expeller pressed canola oil, fresh lime juice, diced dill pickles, citric acid, chili, sea salt, natural vegetarian spices. No MSG.
www.primalspiritfoods.com

2009 Mar 22
anyone have any luck using a dehydrator and making their own?

2009 Mar 23
Sharif
the only Asian ones I've tried were made by the aunt of an exGF of mine
a sweet Lao woman that was excited to see I wanted to learn Lao food

she mari'd her's in a mix of Thai light soy (less salty than most others), Golden Mountain seasoning (akin to Maggi seasoning), palm sugar, white pepper, copious amounts of garlic (I wasn't complaining), abit of chopped lemongrass

then hung the thin strips up to air dry using towels and hooks and a fan

then after a day she put them over some smoldering coals briefly for the smokey flavour which she seems to like with alot of her meats

it was da BOMB!
chewy, not overly salty, not as sweet as I expected from SE Asian foods, with a rich smokiness I now love and a unique bit of heat being it was all around the lips

2009 Mar 23
that sounds amazing.

2009 Mar 24
FF let us know when you are putting in that order - I'd be in for a pound of something something ....

2009 Mar 27
I just bought one box from Costco (see photo). About $11.99 per one box. They are made in Canada.

Those are not the best I've tried. But at least it can soothe my craving for the Taiwanese/Singapore style beef jerky.

If you visit Vancouver, don't forget to bring back some Singapore Style Beef & Pork Jerky from the following store (they make the best beef jerky in Canada in my opinion):

Bee Kim Heng Beef & Pork Jerky Ltd. 美金香牛肉乾
4194 Fraser St.,
Vancouver, B.C. V5V 4E8
(Fraser & 26th Ave.)

The flavour is both sweet and smokey. My friend brought me the spicy version from her trip to Vancouver. The first time I tried it, I continued to eat it until my jaw hurt so much that I couldn't chew any more.

It's not cheap at all and it's cash only. People give this as Christmas present too.

Check out this blog:
www.vancouverslop.com

2009 Mar 27
Sharif: I've made beef jerky before canoe trips...my buddies battled over who got to carry the incredibly heavy food pack with the stash of jerky in it. It was all gone before the trip was half-way over! It is one of the easiest and quickest cured meats to prepare.

I used very lean inside round roast (anything lean works, no fat to go rancid once it is cured), sliced it into strips (against the grain of the meat) and marinated over night in a salt, brown sugar, cider vinegar, soy sauce, various spices and liquid smoke (mad nitrates...my cured meat techniques weren't as refined back then ;) marinade. Then dehydrated for around 6-8 hours in one of the tray-type dehydrators, until the flesh wasn't spongy anymore. Turned out excellent. You could also do it on a rack in a very, very, very low oven.

The book 'Charcuterie' by Michael Ruhlman/Brian Polcyn, is an excellent cured meat resource which we have discussed a few time on this site that has a recipe in the "cowboy" style, done on a very low smoker I believe. I'll check it out and get back to you, I think the recipe started with a dry rub.

2009 Mar 27
I checked the Ruhlman recipe, it was a dry rub of onion/garlic powder, salt and adobo chilies, left overnight in the fridge and then the meat is dried in a sub 90 degree C oven for around 20ish hours.

2009 Mar 29
Tracinho..thanks for the recipe I am definitely going to try this..i ve also seen a tutorial online for making a dehydrator using a cardboard box in the summer..ill have to wait for august to probably try that one tho.

man liquid smoke is amazing. lol