Where to buy Cannelini or Great Northern Beans [General]

2008 Oct 29
Hello,

I am looking to buy either some Cannelini or Great Northern beans. I have not had much success. I looked at the beans entry here at the site and still no luck.

I believe that Great Northern beans are one form of navy beans. However, the navy beans I have seen in Ottawa appear to be smaller and are not navy beans.

I haven't seen Cannelini beans at all.

Any ideas where to buy them, and in smaller quantities? (i.e. I am not looking to buy 5-10 lbs!)

Cheers!

2008 Oct 29
Coincidentally I have my Mountain Path price list open right now.

They do not ahve Cannelini, but do have Great Northern.

1 kg == $5.21

If you cannot find them at a retailer who carries Mountain Path I'll put some on my order and try them out, and sell you what you need. LMK. Do you have a link to what the look like? A photo? And what they'd be used for?

2008 Oct 29
I have a picture in a book.... look its right beside me! The best description would be that in both case they resemble a lima bean to my eye. They are very close to the navy bean I have seen in some stores... just bigger.

I am actually using them to make a bean dip for this weekend. I am sure the typical navy beans would work, and very well might not make any difference... but I tend to follow recipes to letter especially when its with products/recipes I don't use a lot/new to me and dried beans is something I have been meaning to start using but never have.

Thanks for the offer to get some for me zymurgist with your next order, but I am only looking to buy for this coming weekend. I have emailed Mountain path and hopefully they will get back to me and if they don't I suspect the navy beans will be just fine.

cheers

2008 Oct 29
zymurgist and medicinejar if you are looking for pictures you can take a look at the dried bean page on foodsubs: www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html

Cannelini beans are about kidney bean size and the great northern beans are similar in shape but quite abit smaller. Honestly I can't tell the difference in flavour or texture so you could probably use them interchangeably.

medicinejar I am pretty sure both beans are available at Market Organics on York and the Natural Food Pantry stores. The Wheatberry store on Main Street might have them too. I know the Bulk Barn carries both but I have generally found their dried beans don't look very "fresh".

2008 Oct 29
They are pretty terrible with email. Most natural food stores in town carry their stuff, so you might be better off calling Herb and Spice or one of the other places

2008 Oct 29
I always thought of the cannellini bean as a white (Italian) kidney bean. You can find them canned in any grocery store. I know I have seen them dried in Farmers Pick and I an pretty sure that I've seen them in the dried bean section of most grocery store.

The tinned ones will make a fine dip.

2008 Oct 30
Checked as I was in and, yes (and no surprise), Market Organics www.ottawafoodies.com has both Great Northern beans (dried 3.99/kg or canned 1.49) and Cannellini beans (canned only 1.49).
A white bean comparison: www.cookthink.com
The brand they have is Eden Organic with no salt added. I picked up a can to try too as I am fan of that company's products.

2008 Oct 31
...and I made this last evening. It is super quick & fantastic. Are you hummused-out? Try this. :)

Cannellini beans have a really nice delicate flavor and texture ~ you could pare this down to just the Cannellinis with sea salt, garlic, and a great olive oil.

Cannellini Bean Dip/Spread

Ingredients
3 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
250g tinned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
dash Tabasco sauce
1 tsp white wine vinegar
toasted sliced ciabatta to serve (I also had an Oh! Petits Plats Français baguette - Superb!)

Method
1. Heat the oil in a pan; add the garlic and rosemary and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
2. Pour into a food processor and add the beans, salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, Tabasco sauce and vinegar. Blend together to form a smooth paste, adding extra olive oil, if necessary.
3. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and serve the toasted bread alongside.

From this original:
www.bbc.co.uk

2008 Oct 31
Sounds delicious. Bean dip is great if you're all hummused-out, similar to how warmed white bean purée is great if you're all mashed-potatoed-out.

Speaking of finding beans, has anybody seen Tarbais beans anywhere? They're the "go-to" bean for making cassoulet. I'm keeping this out of "desperately seeking" because I'm nowhere near desperate but am definitely curious.

2008 Oct 31
"Tarbais" does not show up in the Mountain Path price list when I search on it

2008 Oct 31
momomoto Could you tell us a little what Tarbais beans would look like? A quick search on foodsubs, epicurious food dictionary, and Ontario bean producers turns up nothing. If these beans are used in French cooking maybe you could find them at Made in France or Belle de Provence?

2008 Oct 31
Tarbais are the French equivalent of Italy's Cannellinis. Side by side I can't see a difference. Can YOU? :)
But (true) Tarbais might be considered the holy grail of beans as their production in France is (surprise!) tightly regulated. Only members of a small, closed cooperative in Tarbais (southwest region near the Spanish border) are allowed to grow beans as "Tarbais" and a single variety, Alaric, is used to produce the coveted "Label Rouge" designation that denotes a true product. 
Also, true Tarbais grow on tall trellises or on corn stalks so require hand-picking.  
Phrased another way: Tarbai$
Non! Ce n'est pas Tarbais!

I'll go Cannellini. :)
Pasta Lover's recommendation for finding them sounds right...or online.
Photos/history here:
www.haricot-tarbais.com

2008 Oct 31
AMR - You're a life-saver. Thanks for the history lesson.

Also: FIFTY-FIVE EURO for a five-kilo bag? Holy schnikies! I do love how they're quality-controlled for taste every year, though. You know, so you can be sure you get your money's worth.

2008 Oct 31
How interesting!
My first thought after a brief look was Canneloni, and not being a pasta lover, I was wondering why Medicinejar was looking for them OR Great Northern Beans, when I noticed it was 'Cannellini'!

Being a bean lover in general, this gave me much more information than I expected!

The 'Cannellini Bean Dip/Spread' sounds wonderful, AMR.

Cindy H
www.jbkpottery.com