Localized Fast Food [Travel]

2008 Oct 16
Looks like the fast food chains like to localize their products for foriegn markets.

Here is an example. A non-beef Maharaja Mac targeted at Hindu's in India. They also have a McAloo Tikki for vegetarians.

In Canada we have the McDonald's McHomard sandwich.

Anybody see anything interesting on their travels ? Maybe Kentucky fried dog in Guangzhou ? or maybe Paris' Kelsey's ecargot poppers ?

2008 Oct 16
Here is another example ... from the Pizza Hut in Kuwait ... Shawarma Pizza.

The Chicken Shawarma Pizza has long slices of pickled mid-east cucumbers. Yeesh.

2008 Oct 16
Here is what a real (non-promo picture) of a Kuwaiti Pizza Hut Chicken Shawarma Pizza looks like. Those cucumber pickles look nastey.

2008 Oct 16
BF was just telling me about a place in Kingston - Kings Pizza perhaps...that makes a delicious donair pizza!

Shawarma pizza doesn't seem that odd to me..

2008 Oct 16
Donair Pizza was popular at Louis Pizza in Wolfville when I was going to Acadia

2008 Oct 16
And what about McLobster, Captain?

2008 Oct 16
Didn't I already mention the McHomard Sandwich ... Well, that's what they call it in Shediac, New Brunswick.

.... and that's where I tried one. I think it cost double that of a Bic Mac at that time (circa 1985). I never bought another one because of the pastey 'foam bun' and wayyyy tooo much mayo.

Then again, I was tempted a number of times to bring in my own bread roll and say "Please make a McLobster Sandwich in this delicious bun and go easy on the mayo".

2008 Oct 16
CaptainC - Ok, I'll pass (EDIT - on the Shawarma Pizza).... but then again I guess it is a big hit with those who live in the region. I mean who can really explain regional favourites?

Think of all the Yanks who visit us Canucks and cringe at the idea of vinegar on our french fries, or dipping them in gravy, or heaven being really crazy and combining cheese, gravy and vinegar. LOL

Me, I can't understand why anyone would take perfectly good french fries and smother them in spagetti sauce... I mean what happened? Did one day Momma Mia run out of Pasta and opted for Potatoes instead? I think that and the reason they are called Coney Island Fries is because some Cone Head spent too many hours riding the Cyclone back in 1927 when it was the largest one in the world!

2008 Oct 16
In Halifax, Subway had a special on the bacon & scallop sandwich. I remember asking the sandwich artist if anyone orders it.
His reply was, "I advise them not to." I never saw the sandwich in any other province. It didn't look like that in the photo either, the scallop was long and thin, like they had cut it into slices.

Donair pizza is still popular at pizza corner in Halifax!

2008 Oct 16
Forgot the photo!

2008 Oct 16
I didn't see a bacon and scallop sandwich in Halifax' Subway, they did have *real* lobster sandwiches though, a foot long ran for about $12-$13 if I recall correctly.

mmmfood, you are thinking of "King of Donair", (they also make pizza) they are based on the east coast but have a Kingston location. I used to work about 3-4 stores over from them when i lived in Kingston. They make Donair Poutine too! (fries, donair meat, sweet donair sauce or tatziki)

2008 Oct 16
Shrimp burgers in Korea were popularized by a local chain called Lotteria, but soon made their way onto McD and BK menus.

And it didn't end with shrimp burgers. Check out this list from Wikipedia:
"Lotteria offers 14 different kinds of burgers for sale: Chun-Cheon Chicken Rib Burger, Cheong-Yang Chilly Pepper Burger, European Frico Cheese Burger, Paprika Bacon Beef Burger, Kimchi Burger, Korean Beef Bulgogi Burger, Burning Squid Burger, Shrimp Burger, Bulgalbi Burger, Bulgogi Burger, Chicken Burger, Cheese Burger, Rib Sandwich, and Teriyaki Burger."

One burning squid burger, please!

2008 Oct 16
the McD's in Hong Kong have a seasonal promotion of "beef/chicken/fish FAN-tastic"
where "fan" means rice.
where the bun is made of 2 rice patties. a bit like portable stir-fry.

also azuki/lychee milkshakes, taro/azuki pies, "shake'em" fries with japanese curry, seaweed, honey mustard, and bbq flavours... they're really big on the pork burgers as well!

not that i've had any of those... the advertising is IN-YO-FACE, as well my flat was near a 24-hr location =/

2008 Oct 16
on the guangzhou front:
the menus are surprisingly lame.

although there's no such thing as low-fat, low-sugar, or sugar-free.
it's awful trying to find plain yogourt.

2008 Oct 16
A friend snapped this photo of a KFC in Penang, Malaysia. The fried chicken comes in two flavours: regular and spice crunch! For breakfast, you can have a Nasi Lemak wrap (www.kfc.com.my).

And don't forget the little bowl of chicken meatball soup! (www.kfc.com.my)