Home Based Business Regulations [General]

2008 Jun 17
Does anyone know what the regulations are for home based food business? Going to be selling to local stores and through a website. Aware of the labelling laws already, just not sure of what I have to make sure my kitchen has and what I'm not allowed to have around as well. Any advise on this would be appreciated!

2008 Jun 17
I would contact the health dept. as they would be who would be inspecting your space I would imagine. Also when you register your business with the city they might be able to direct you further?

2008 Jun 17
Hmmm, just this weekend at BSNBB I was chatting with a guy who sells Salmon Jerky that he makes. If only I could recall what it was he said. I'll email him and ask. Something about the Canadian Food Inspection Agency or something, maybe.

2008 Jun 17
I believe you need a seperate kitchen from the one you use yourself. It must meet both health and fire inspections. The proper business licences are required from the city. These are local regulations and the city by-law office is very helpful on what you need.

I found this out while exploring the setup of a new food cart serving food OTHER than hotdogs and sausages. You see, up until last fall ONLY hotdogs/sausages (pre cooked/cured meat) could be served from carts in Ontario.
I think the downtown employees are ready for fresh alternatives from food carts, like burritos, tamales, chili, empanadas, taco salads etc. And I was looking forward to wearing a real sombrero.

The labelling of food products is covered by the feds. The labels need to be bilingual and list the ingredients in order of quantity in the product, nutrition information etc. It can all be found here ---> www.inspection.gc.ca <---

2008 Jun 17
Also another FYI: Make sure you double check any and all Ottawa Zoning Bylaws. There are strict rules about what is and is not allowed in a home-based business in Ottawa. Chances are they won't affect you too much, but you still want to know. :)

2008 Jun 17
I have also wondered about these things... and about insurance for a home based food related business.

2008 Jun 17
I spoke with the heath department here and is seems they have the same rules as in Peterborough. To certify my kitchen I had to have a minimum of two sinks, plus a seperate hand sink or; one sink, a dishwasher, and a seperate hand sink. The hand sink cannot be in the powder room it must be in the kitchen. The closest washroom must have paper towel. You may even have pets in the house but it is expected they are banished during cooking and you bleach all counters... Appropriate thermometers in refrigeration are required and a knowledge of cooling temps.

I got my safe food handlers certificate from the Health Board right before the inspection showing a perfect score, plus with chef credentials they really didn't give me a hard time. There is a list of questions that they ask about hand washing and food temps that he didn't even bother with. Actually he didn't even open a cupboard. We had just painted everything white it looked like a surgery room.

They do come and reinspect occasionally (every three months in PTBO) but will call first as it is your home and not a restaurant.

2008 Jun 17
... also I suggest you talk to the inspectors. They will provide you with lists of requirements. You can get an impression of how hardassed they are. A little friendliness goes a long way with someone in this occupation.

2008 Jun 18
My catering company is home-based. The people I spoke to at Ottawa Health when I was setting up my business were very helpful. As Olivers mentioned, you will need a handwash sink, thermometers and a way to keep out pets and kids.

Ottawa Health was helpful in directing me to other departments and government agencies that I had to deal with.

Even though amalgamation occurred in 2001, some bylaws remain unchanged in the old townships. Confirm with bylaw that you can set up your business in your home by talking to the City of Ottawa location that is nearest you.

My greatest challenge was dealing with insurance about my cooker since it was custom-built.

Good Luck!

2008 Jun 18
Ed or anyone else, Can you please clarify .... Do need a SEPERATE kitchen from your own ?

I know a lady that started her own catering business and she built her own seperate kitchen in her basement. She was from Gatineau.

2008 Jun 19
Well of course they LIKE it if you have a seperate kitchen, but it is not required. Your regular kitchen just has to meet requirements.

1 hand sink

Papertowels (they are REALLY BIG on paper towels, you must put them in you nearest bathroom and they are to be used when cooking. You don't have to worry about it the rest of the time.)

1 dish sink with dishwasher/ OR 2 dish sinks/ and they really like three but don't expect it in a domestic kitchen

proper refrigeration with thermometers

gates or door to keep out pets (if you don't have pets - no gate required)

Safe food handlers certificate (may not be a strict requirement but get one anyway!)

CC - what is going with that stove in the pic? are those doors ovens? Is it a broiler in between the burners and white doors? I've never seen anything like it?