Fat back pork in Ottawa? [Cooking]

2008 Apr 17
Hi all;
I have been looking for pork fatback in Ottawa but cannot find it anywhere. Pickled pork belly is available almost everywhere, but what I am looking for is dry salted or not salted at all, contains no meat whatsoever, and usually has the skin attached. People from the deep south of the U.S. and Newfoundlanders would definitely know what I mean. Can anyone advise please? I'm looking forward to making a variation of turnip kraut but it doesn't turn out the way I like it if I try to substitute pickled pork belly. Thanks!

2008 Apr 18
The large market on Sommerset (321 Market? 136 Market? What the heck is it called again???) sells pork belly, non-pickled, fresh in the butcher case. Not sure if that would work for what you need...

Also, there are some fine butchers in Ottawa that can cut you just about whatever cut of meat you want off the carcasses they have hanging in the back. Have you tried asking at, say, Saslove's for example, for what you need?

2008 Apr 18
Food is HOT: New 168 Market, I love that place!

Darwinsmom: I have seen fat back pork (salted) at the La Pointe in the Byward market. I would call ahead to see if they still carry it as this was some time ago. Not sure if you know this but fat back pieces in Newfoundland are commonly refered to as "scrunchions" in case the fat back at La Pointe is moonlighting under another name!

I have had the pork belly (unpickled) from New 168 market as well and it's very good quality.

2008 Apr 19
They also have it at UniMart in the plaza on Montreal Rd and Selkirk, so you could probably get it at Kowloon as well.