Greek Yogurt [Food/Vendor]

2008 Feb 27

Does anybody know where to get Greek Yogurt other than the Liberte Mediterranean stuff?

2008 Feb 27
Hiya Martha,

The closest thing to Liberté Méditerranée Yogurt, that I know of, is Astro's Balkan Plain yogurt. See it here www.astro.ca

The Liberté has 8% Milk fat and the Astro 6%, so the Liberté is richer.

According to Wiki: Strained yoghurts, which include Greek Yoghurt, Dahi and Bulgarian Yoghurt are types of yoghurt which are strained through a cloth or paper filter, to remove the whey, giving a much thicker consistency, and a distinctive, slightly tangy, taste.

Looks like neither the Liberté or the Astro products are not true Greek or strained yogurts. More like Greek-Style yogurts.

I have been very happy with the Astro product. I make both Tzatziki and the Indian curry Korma (usually with lamb) with it.

To make the Tzatziki, I strain the Astro Balkan Style through a cheese cloth (over night) and add cucumber, olive oil, garlic, salt and some dill.

Hope this helps.

2008 Feb 27
You could try the International Cheese store in the Byward Market. It's on the block where the fruit and veggie stands are usually located and it is closest to Irving Rivers. They have all sorts of Middle Eastern delicacies there and I *think* I saw some Greek cheese sold in bulk on my last visit there.

2008 Feb 27
Sorry I meant the Greek yogurt is available in bulk. But they have some Greek cheese too especially my favourite kefalotyri.

2008 Feb 27
Hey Pasta Lover,

Did you ever have Saganaki ?, which is Kefalotyri fried or broiled in olive oil.

2008 Feb 27
No but it looks delicious! Where can one get it? Now if you'll excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard...

2008 Feb 27
D'oh! It just occurred to me I could probably do it myself!

2008 Feb 27
I made my own, but looks like A'roma Meze A'roma Meze and Theo's Theo's have it on their menus.

Here is A'roma Mezes description: Saganaki flambée of Kefalograviera cheese with Metaxa brandy and a squeeze of fresh lemon (OPA)

and Theo's Flambee it at you table !!!