Fenugreek [Cooking]

2018 Apr 22
Hi, can anyone tell me where I can find fenugreek, either whole or ground in Ottawa?

Thanks.

2018 Apr 22
I've bought it at the Westboro Superstore before. It's in the international foods aisle.

2018 Apr 22
George’s on Innes in Orleans. Be careful, it’s potent stuff!

2018 Apr 23
I know some natural food stores sell it ground up in caplets and it is powder inside.
Apparently good for sore throats??

So maybe that or try well.ca or amazon online sells a lot of herbs.

2018 Apr 23
Herb and Spice on Wellington West, spice drawers almost hidden in the back.

2018 Apr 23
Shiraz Market on Somerset has a great spice selection!

2018 Apr 30
I was at the Westboro Superstore and could not find it. They had other Sura brand slices but not fenugreek. Aube they were out? I would like to where for sure sells it as well.

I have recipe from Vij’s I want to make. 😋

2018 May 1
Bulk Barn had it in their spice section when I went yesterday.

2018 May 1
MidEast Food Market on St. Laurent has it. In fact any shop specializing in middle eastern grocery should also have it.

2018 May 4
I get mine at Vaishali Super Store Ltd on Wylie off of Carling (Britannia area)

2018 May 4
You can get fenugreek seed at any Indian market. Most will also have kasoori methi, which are dried fenugreek leaves. Used in different applications. You can also get fresh fenugreek (methi) at some Indian stores (like Vaishalli’s) and at the Produce Depot.

2018 May 5
Ground fenugreek at Herbs and Spice on Wellington West.

2018 May 6
Thank you, i found it at Vaishalli's.

2018 May 6
I am still looking for fenugreek leaves. Are those at Vaishalli’s?

2018 May 7
Saw fresh fenugreek at the hunt club produce depot yesterday

2018 May 12
Vaishalli’s usually has fresh fenugreek leaves (methi), though it can look a bit worse for wear. They definitely have dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi), as well as whole and (usually) ground fenugreek seeds. Grinding whole seeds is unusually easy—they very quickly turn into a fine powder.

Produce Depot on Carling generally has the freshest looking methi, in my experience.

2018 May 12
Cardamon and Cloves has dried but it's mail order.

2018 May 13
I saw fresh Methi at Produce Depot Carling yesterday and it looked pretty fresh.

2018 May 19
Silk Road has dried fenugreek leaves in their spice bins. It's fantastically fragrant.

2018 Jun 3
I found this today at an Asian supermarket in Brossard. A quick google search suggests it is the same as dried fenugreek leaves. Is that so?

2018 Jun 4
No. Those are curry leaves—different plant entirely. Dried curry leaves are pretty feeble—some Indian stores stock fresh ones—including Vaishalli’s. Also, usually found at produce depot on Carling—they are with the other exotic items in the display just to the left as you enter.

Curry leaves are used a lot in southern Indian cuisine—they have a singlular flavour—similar to asafoetida to me.

2018 Jun 15
So, if I make the trip to Vaishailli’s to buy fenugreek leaves, what else should I get there that is central to making good Indian dishes?

2018 Jun 16
Spices! They are cheap there—not exceptional quality but they do the trick.

2018 Jul 6
I just thought of a couple of things! (Surprising I hadn't thought of them before, given how much Indian we cook...disclaimer that we skew Goan, though, so a lot of my suggestions are in that vein)

1. Amchoor (mango powder). It, along with asafoetida, is a great way to zazz up certain dishes. It's tart, so it provides a great counterpoint without adding liquid like lemon would.
2. Palm vinegar. Used a lot in Goan and south Indian dishes. I wish I could explain the difference in flavour compared to regular vinegar, but I'm at a loss. It's...smoother? More slightly coconutty?
3. Frozen, ground coconut. Unsweetened. Fantastic flavouring and texturizing agent.
4. Achar Gosht masala. This is the only boxed spice mix we buy. This stuff is frigging fantastic. It's got a great mix of savoury, spicy, and acid. You can use pretty much any meat with it (chicken is our favourite), and you stuff whole chilis with the masala mix to add to the curry. Lots of nigella, red chili, and fenugreek notes. Shan's a pretty good brand, and likely to be there (shop.khanapakana.com)