WANTED: Moritz Icy Squares [General]

2018 Apr 17
These just popped into my head today. It has been years since I've even thought about them.
I always used to have a clear plastic cylinder of Moritz Icy Squares in the freezer ready for a quick snack.

Does anyone have any idea where I could find a carton of these?

2018 Apr 17
Usually find the cartons around Christmas at various retailers. It’s our families tradition to get for my father.

But pretty sure I have seen them at the dollar store. Smaller packages.

2018 Apr 17
Various dollar stores. Pretty sure most recently on Merivale.

2018 Apr 17
Thanks. I've never actually been into a dollar store before. This should be fun.

2018 Apr 17
I mentioned the same nostalgic pang last fall to my family and ended up getting some Icy Squares at xmas. They turned out to be awful to my chocolate-tuned adult palate. The hydrogenated coconut oil is nice in small amounts but the chocolateyness just doesn't keep up.

They taste like dollar store chocolate so that's appropriate. :P Let us know what you think!

2018 Apr 17
Maybe I'll just go down to the market and get a bunch of truffles from Stubbe's.

2018 Apr 18
I was going to make the same point about how awful they are. Cloying, no real chocolate flavour, and they make you feel a little sick. It is either a changed palate thing, or maybe they are made with worse ingredients than they used to be. Hydrogenated coconut oil is the first ingredient. A Zero bar (or Lindor chocolates, also available in small packages at Dollarama) will give you the 'icy' experience you are looking for (at a much higher quality level), caused by the different melting temperatures of the chocolate used in the filling and the covering.

2018 Apr 18
Why did you have to bring up Zero bars? Damn you. . . . .

2018 Apr 18
Damn. Zero bars.
Curse you, eight!

Also, I no longer have to go to a dollar store thus retaining my record.

2018 Apr 18
Dollar stores have the Zero bars too. Usually 2/$1.
And they are totally better than Moritz.

2018 Apr 18
Icy Cups / Icy Squares were my major candy as a kid, and I had them within the last couple of years and am happy to report they taste exactly as they always did, and they are still AWESOME!!!

2018 Apr 22
I have also seen them at bulk barn

2018 Apr 23
Dollar stores often have Zero bars in the silver and also gold wrappers.

Dollar Tree had BACI chocolate bars- the large ones for $1.25 and i only bought 2 :(
must go back.

Dollarama also often has some nice european candy like Nestle Fruitips.

There are also quite a few nice foodie finds at Dollarama- like that fancy balsamic syrup/sauce in a smaller bottle for cheap!

2018 Apr 23
I unironically love their knock off bounty bars and mars bars. Dollarama is surprisingly good for candy.

2018 Apr 23
Those knock-off Bounty are unironically almost identical to the real thing!

2018 Apr 23
A great source of iron, lead, and other good stuff?

2018 Apr 24
The knock-off Bounty are delicious (and dirt cheap!), the knock-off Mars doesn't quite get it (still edible). I'd like to see more higher end 100g bars (Dollar Tree has good Perugina bars for $1.25).

2018 Apr 24
A great source of iron, lead, and other good stuff?

2018 Apr 24
Don't knock the dollar store candy section until you try it! LOL I love good food but I also love my candy! High end or absolute junk :)

But in all seriousness they have lots of candy that is name brand for cheap, as well as weird random candy like neon sour worms and a Mars bar knock off called Meteor. The Dollarama on somerset had icy squares a couple weekends ago but might have been an Easter thing. If you are a gum chewer they also sell Excel brand for under 1$.

Dollarama also has 1$ Gatorade and weirdly enough vacuum sealed corn on the cob.

2018 Apr 24
Also vacuum sealed baby beets.

2018 May 18
Bulk barn!

2018 May 18
Bulk Barn would be the ideal place to buy Icy Squares because you can buy just one if you want. I love Bulk Barn — both for its great selection of food items and because it offers customers the complete opposite of bulk purchasing. The less you buy the more you save!

2018 May 19
Buy one Icy Square.

Yah, right.

2018 May 23
Craving satisfied.
Thank you all.

2018 May 26
How many did it take?

2018 May 26
Craving SATISFIED, okay?

;)

I bought 4, but ate one. The others are still in the freezer awaiting their turn.

It was pretty much exactly what I remembered. A bit chocolatey, soft and smooth in the mouth. Not the best chocolate in the world, but pleasant. About what you'd expect for what you paid for it.