Moroccan Spices [General]

2008 Jan 22
Hi Folks:

Long time no visit, but I plan to visit more often in the New Year!

Does anyone know where I can get ras-el-hanout and harissa?

Thanks,

and Happy New Year,

Glinda

2008 Jan 22
Hey Glinda! Welcome back!

You can find both at most middle eastern groceries. Harissa comes in a tube sometimes and doesn't take up a lot of shelf space, thus making it hard to find. I've been able to find harissa at the Loblaws/RCSS at College Square, from time to time as well.

2008 Jan 24
I recommend you make your own ras-el-hanout. It is a 10x better than prepackaged. I use the ras-el-hanout recipe from this b'stilla recipe, and mix it in a 'dedicated' spice (coffee) grinder. ( www.epicurious.com ) And a second.. Welcome Back Glinda!

2008 Jan 27
La Botega in the market sells Harissa right next to the tomato paste tubes.

2008 Jan 28
Thanks, all. I wonder if there is a shop that specializes in "all ingredients international and interesting". Or maybe there should be?

2008 Jan 28
I would say, there should be! ;) Would be hard to cater everyone, but hey, would make for a veritable foodie haven!

2008 Jan 29
Speaking of "all ingredients international and interesting", I finally found some blue cornmeal that I've been looking for forever. I got the last package of it at Foodsmith's in Perth.

2008 Jan 29
I don't know of a single shop that specializes in all ingredients that are hard to find, but I do know of a website that does! ;-)

Harissa
Blue Cornmeal

Thanks for the contributions!

2008 Jan 29
If downtown is more convenient for you, Boushey's on Elgin Street has a small selection of spices near the deli section and I've bought harissa there. The jarred version is better than the tube version which tastes a bit too metallic to me.

"All things international" = Grace food market on Bank street. Or at least it's as close as you're going to get.