infused toothpicks [Booze]

2016 Oct 27
I tried to make these this week by covering these toothpicks in scotch whisky for a couple of days. Sure, they smell like whisky. I wouldn't call them 'infused'.

The problem is that I went all out and used the best goddamn toothpicks I could find. I got a sample pack sent to me from a company in Maine that makes woodenware, and they are the best things that I have ever put in my mouth after a meal. I'm not kidding.

Solid birch, they don't get soggy, they stay pointy, they don't get sour after chewing on them for a few hours.

I don't think more time in the whisky bath (which sounds like an awesome idea BTW) is going to help. I may try pressure canning methods. Maybe a quick attempt in my cream charger first.

Does anyone have other suggestions? I think I'll try some over-proof rum next.

DrinkPicks™

2016 Oct 27
I always wished the cinnamon toothpicks were less "hot cassia cinnamon" and more "floral spiced cinnamon."

I like the whisky idea though. I wonder what would happen if you used smoked toothpicks. Too much?

2016 Oct 27
Well, someone I know makes some awesome bitters, so there may be a CANgostura and a cherry/vanilla one if this works. I may also put together a DANGER PACK that has one (only one) that has been sitting in Carolina Reaper juice. Maybe not.

"Rizak the Really Horrible picked a pack of DANGER DrinkPicks ..."
You know the rest.

2016 Oct 27
Ah, the toothpick equivalent of Russian Roulette. Excellent idea.

As for the whiskey, maybe boil the toothpicks first so theyre more porous.

Also, maybe use a bourbon or 'lesser' whiskey. I could see something with an underlying sweetness like JD soaking in better. Because science.

2016 Oct 27
I've been doing research into pressure treated lumber, and it seems like they put it into a vacuum chamber first to open up the pores, then pressure with liquid to about 150 psi, then vacuum again to remove as much liquid as they can.

I'll see if a couple of weeks sitting in the booze makes any difference. That way is a lot easier than making a pressure pot that can withstand 150 psi. I don't know if my house insurance would cover a catastrophic failure.

"Before you try to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you."

Some taste tests have already returned favourable reports, so I may be onto something here.

2016 Oct 27
Yes you can use varying pressure to get the alcohol into the wood. 2L plastic bottles can take a lot of pressure. Try that as your infusion chamber by applying squeeze to the outside ? I haven't tried it myself, just a thought.

2016 Oct 28
Vacuum sealer? Pressure cooker? More time?

2016 Oct 28
Do you have to see Proof of Age before you sell them to young people?
Is there a driving restriction...? Don't pick and drive?

2016 Nov 7
Okay, it isn't working as well as I'd hoped. Apologies to the hundreds of you who put in pre-orders. Your money will not be refunded.

If something is hard to do, it isn't worth doing.

2016 Nov 7
i wonder if you could infuse them in a ISI. give them 1 or 2 charges. might be worth a shot

2016 Nov 8
I think you may have to infuse them before they are kiln dried.

2016 Nov 8
I am ready to invest $20M if we can use my name on them!

Though I think you will want to leave the toothpicks in the oven for 24 - 48 hours at < 200F to remove the/any moisture in them. Then put them in your liquid of choice to rehydrate.

At ambient temps and environments, you will only be able to hold so much liquid in wood. If you want that to be hootch, you need to either drive it in via pressure, or remove what is in there by oven drying.

Also with ethanol you can expect it to evap over time.

signed,
Krusty Trump

2016 Nov 9
Really Horrible Krusty toothpicks.
That might just work.