New Openings 2016 (continued) (continued) [General]

2016 Jun 20
TOPIC continued from Forum - New Openings 2016 (continued)

Prohibition House has opened up on that infamous strip of Somerset St. West. Stopped by Friday night and the layout and attention to detail of the decor is quite impressive. Only drank, (99% of the beer is Ontario or local) but the menu didnt look to be too extensive. Poutine Tacos though!!!!

www.facebook.com

2016 Jun 20
POUTINE TACOS?????!!!!????

2016 Jun 21
Farm Boy in Westboro is opening up this Thursday!

2016 Jun 21
I am super excited about Farm Boy opening in Westboro. I live a very short walk from there which is a good thing because there does not seem to be a lot of outdoor parking and the indoor parking is marked as being for employees only.

2016 Jun 21
yes yes Farmboy yay can we please get back to these intriguing POUTINE TACOS!!!!????!!! I need details.
Also, samples.

2016 Jun 21
THe menu is here OSoloMeal

media.wix.com

It appears to be "POUTINE TACOS / WAFER FRIES / CHEESE CURDS / CHICKEN DEMI-SAUCE / SOFT SHELL TACO / PULLED BROWN CHICKEN"

2016 Jun 23
Tnx James. Am all over it.

Sign on the non-shawarma place side of the old Tommy Lefevre store on Bank says THREE TARTS is moving in (Ha! Suck it, Westboro! :) ).

2016 Jun 23
From my understanding the landlord raised the rent for the 3 Tarts space. Seems to happen a lot in the area.

And correction 3 Tarts is not in Westboro. They are in Wellington West or Wellington Village. But not Westboro

2016 Jun 23
East Westboro?

2016 Jun 23
West Hintonburg more like.

2016 Jun 23
West Easrboro. Whatevs. I live in Lower Rockcliffe and know little of these places. 😀

2016 Jun 23
you mean vanier?

2016 Jun 23
East Vanier or West Vanier On The River?

2016 Jun 24
Westboro ends at Island Park.
Just not on this site ...

2016 Jun 27
You are all downtown. eom

2016 Jun 27
But posting "suck it, Hintonburg!" would feel like kicking a puppy.

2016 Jun 28
A growler-filling station will open at the Lansdowne LCBO on July 7. Not sure what breweries are involved.

2016 Jun 29
That is cool. It would be great to see bulk wine purchases as well. I saw that in the Manitoba version of the LCBO.

2016 Jun 29
Hmmmm perhaps I can fill my water bottle with beer instead of tap water from the bathroom;) I know I will not be able to get away with it but there is nothing wrong with dreaming...

2016 Jul 1
Margo's Caribbean, replacing Flavours of the Caribbean, which replaced Pixie's, a Caribbean restaurant. Here's hoping. . . . . .

2016 Jul 3
Sign up at Lansdowne between Teriyaki and the Fury box office for QUESADA BURRITOS AND TACOS.

2016 Jul 6

PURE GELATO going in the old Roast n Brew location on Bank in the Glebe.

New cartoon good luck cat sign on Bank at Flora for something called MOOSHU ICE CREAM AND KITCHEN.

2016 Jul 7
It looks like there is progress being made in the store where the Sausage Kitchen used to be. There is signage in the window that says "Weidel" and banners in front of the store saying "Weidel : a taste of Europe" advertising they will be selling deli meat, cheeses, bakery products etc. No indication of when it will open.

2016 Jul 7
I am hoping beyond hope it is the re-incarnation of the German Town Deli now.

2016 Jul 7
We will never see sandwiches that good, that cheap, ever again.

...this saddens me.

2016 Jul 8
Is Mooshu the same person/people who were at the lansdowne farmers market in the winter selling ice cream something that was quite expensive??

For Gelato I usually go to Malak on Bank- the prices are good and there is a lot of sorbet (and often they will give you a cookie w your order).

Nicastro's still has well priced sandwiches or Cedar's grocery.

Tim Horton's has some kind of chicken wrap for $2 for a couple years now-but the chicken is quite processed. But for $2 it is quite large and filling.

2016 Jul 8
I too fear the decline of the cheap sandwiches. I was really enjoying eating my way through the Sausage Kitchen lunch counter as well as the German Town deli. The only place I can think of offhand in the downtown area is La Bottega. There are great food trucks around town but a little pricier.

2016 Jul 13
MooShu on Bank... confirmed it's the people from last year at the Farmer's Market. They're doing some funky ice cream flavors... black seasame!. The kitchen side will eventually do Asian influenced snack food, but not rolling yet.

Something called PLAYA DEL POPSICLE truck behind Tiggy Winkle's in the Glebe. Pic on their twitter feed looks like something I want in my face stat.

2016 Jul 13
Playa del Popsicle I am guessing is flapjacks rebranding the truck because of the resto now. Turned it from a sugar shack in Ottawa to a beach in Ottawa. Probably will check it out soon.

2016 Jul 13
Bar laurel is scheduled to open in a couple of weeks

2016 Jul 13
Morning Owl expanding yet again, this time into the Glebe between Ernesto's and Rosie's.

2016 Jul 15
Black sesame ice cream is supposed to be "exiting"??
I thought it was a kind of common Asian and Japanese thing.
Maybe I used to eat too many black sesame bars- but now I need a break from Sesame anything.

I do like trying all kinds of desserts and frozen things-but I do not think I have seen anything too exiting lately.
I know for sure I really dislike savory ice creams- no frozen blue cheese desserts for me.

2016 Jul 15
No poutine taco icecream for you.

2016 Jul 18
Hi all -- I've been a lurker for years and appreciate all the great advice and recommendations I've scooped from the site. I even met Rizak when I bought some lemon bitters at the Winter Market earlier this year. But now I have to comment ... on Weidel: A Taste of Europe. This Eastern European deli used to be located on Bell Street, first in an old house that was destroyed years ago in a fire and then in Bell Towers. When Bell Towers started renovating a few years back, all the retail businesses closed. I am very glad to hear that Weidel will finally be re-opening. I used to frequent the store at least once every two weeks. They carried a large selection of mostly Polish and Czech candies and chocolates, many Eastern European breads, canned goods, snacks and a large selection of deil meats and cheeses. Edward, the owner, always gave excellent, friendly service and there was always a couple of extra Vienna wieners or smoked sausages in the bag when I got home "for the dogs"! His Sunday morning business was booming from the Polish Catholic church goers. This is good news and I hope this new location is a success.

2016 Jul 18
Dreamofeating, welcome to this forum! Is that the place that used to bring in the special donuts on the weekend? Someone used to bring them in from Montreal. Where is he re-opening? Same place?

2016 Jul 19
You can get those Montreal doughnuts at Polka deli on Walkley rd- they get them in twice a week, along w other pastries from a couple other places.

-Polka Deli is closed on Sunday and Monday- and they also carry Becking's eggs.
Staff there is nice,they are not open very late.

2016 Jul 27
'TenSushi' going in in OOS, Belmont at Bank behind the laundromat.
With Sushi Go sushi gone from the Glebe, i hope this place can nail it.

2016 Jul 29
Ten Sushi??

For a minute I thought you meant Ten Sushi is moving from Bank st to further up?

I saw at Bank and Belmont there is a sign that says Ten Fish Sushi....I think.

Sushi Go- in the Glebe I am kind of not surprized.
They were expensive and did not seem to care if they messed up your order too much.
I used to like the Inari sushi they had with mushrooms inside-until a couple times they forgot to add the filling.

I think I would rather get takeout sushi from Ten Sushi buffet over Sushi Go and also over Farm Boy .

The new sushi place at Bank and Belmont seems quite small, but I will definitely try it soon...

2016 Jul 29
Ten Sushi = the large buffet place close to Blue Heron Mall on Bank

Ten Fish Sushi = the new place in OOS (tenfish.ca/index.html)

Probably aren't doing themselves any favours by naming themselves so similarly. Hope they do well, but they are kind of tucked out of the way and you kind of need to know it's there. Haven't tried it yet - I wanted to get some sushi for lunch but they only open in the evenings.

Ratty.

2016 Jul 29
'Ten FISH Sushi - I stand corrected and agree w Ratty re the name. :)

Menu isn't wildly original - which, sadly, is a standard Ottawa sushi complaint - but if they can do that list well, I'm happy.

2016 Jul 30
Bar Laurel on Wellington (old Back Lane Café location) is now open - sister restaurant to Fauna.

2016 Aug 2
What places or what would be considered original or different for sushi?

I eat at Miso that is at Bank and Slater and they have some very unusual sushi rolls.
Really not ingredients I would think to put together.
Miso also used to have an appetizer that was tempura shrimp with almond. I tried it last year, it was fine.
I'm not really a fan of combining nuts and fish,but will eat it if it is there.

I have the menu for Miso here..

Smoke salmon and grapefruit roll?

Lobster temptation roll: deep fried, avocado,spicy crab layered with lobster sauce.

Sweet potato roll: tempura yam, banana, mango and avocado.

2016 Aug 2
Heard the people behind Zak's and The Grand are opening a Mexican restaurant in the vacant spot near Zaks Byward. More Mexican!

2016 Aug 3
Look at it this way, it could have been a pub or a shawarma place.

2016 Aug 4
There is a new food truck at Bank and Walkley.
I could not find anything online about it.
I've eaten there twice, Saturday had a poutine and it was good-but kind of small for the price.

Was also given a printed copy of their menu and that is helpful as the sign outside does not have full descriptions of every dish.
The truck is called MEXIGO CABANA and they will be there at least till fall- there is now a picnic table and umbrella- so they seem like a permanent fixture in the Mr. Lube parking lot.

Today I had an order of flautas with chicken in them and some guacamole- the food was great. I will be back to try the whole menu.

The hours are Mon-Fri 11-7 and Sat 11-5, Sunday closed.

*They have deep fried ice cream also,but did not try it yet. Will do that soon...

2016 Aug 4
I can only post 1 pic at a time.
This was my food today...from Mexigo Cantina

2016 Aug 5
@warby any chance of clicking on a photo to enlarge them? would be helpful to see the above menu.

2016 Aug 5
It's a good idea, in general, although in this case the original doesn't seem any more legible. :) I originally downscaled photos to save on server space but that isn't really a concern anymore. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it to my list!

2016 Aug 6
Riviera is open on Sparks Street - third restaurant of Matthew Carmichael and Jordan Holley (El Camino and Datsun on Elgin) - in a renovated CIBC.

2016 Aug 6
Have you been there lemontart? I heard it opened last weekend..

2016 Aug 7
i had friends who went. said everything was amazing.

2016 Aug 7
Love the idea of a converted bank and having lived in France for 2 years French is fairly high on my list of favourite type of cuisine.

I need to check this out soon..

2016 Aug 7
Yes FoodTravel, we were there on Friday. Renovation is amazing, it was packed. Unfortunately I am mixed on the food (and it was expensive). More extensive review to come.

2016 Aug 7
thanks lemontart... do you think it is more teething issues or ?

2016 Aug 9
There is a sign up at the old Derringer's on Montreal Rd for a Pizza and Kabab shop. I like those two things. A lot.

2016 Aug 10
I too like those two things.

Unfortunately places that do both of those things together tend to excel at neither.

2016 Aug 10
For you cat, I will try both and report back😀

2016 Aug 23
See that you do. :)

Something called 'The Fry' just opened on Elgin, sign says Korean fried chicken. Anyone know anything?

2016 Aug 24
its the real deal www.facebook.com

their website lists 280 Elgin as new location...is it open for business if so I am going tonight!

2016 Aug 24
I was hoping the Fry was the same as the Toronto locations eeek

2016 Aug 24
The word on Reddit today is that a Popeye's Chicken is set to open at College Square and a 24 hour Kettlemans will be next door. From the pictures posted it looks like they'll be going into the space formerly occupied by Jacob clothing.

2016 Aug 25
A couple weeks ago there was a little sign outside, on the fence of the construction zone at Shopper City East for Crust and Crate opening soon but it came down after a few days. So not sure if they are opening there or not..

2016 Sep 9
Margo's is now open in the Flavours of the Caribbean space. I stopped in to get a menu and it sure smelled good. . . . . . . Didn't eat tho, but soon.