LF: pre-made roti shells [General]

2016 Jan 10
I made a double batch of my favourite vegetarian curry for rotis, but can't find any pre-made roti shells anymore. I had a large stash from a Loblaws sale last year, but they are done. The only ones I've found are at Whole Foods, but they are 3x the price I used to pay.

I'm in Hintonburg/centertown, if anyone knows where I can easily buy some. I have had no lock at Herb and Spice.

I am using whole wheat tortillas tonight but would like real wraps for future.

Thanks!

Here is the link to recipe I use. I use sweet potatoe in place of 1/2 white potatoes and add extra spinach.
m.thestar.com

2016 Jan 10
Montego Bay or Cool Runnings definitely, but neither of those are near you, Grace International on Bank would be a good bet. You could also go to a Caribean resto and ask them. . . . .I know some Mexican places will sell corn tortillas.

2016 Jan 11
last time I was in the US I brought back a big bag of fresh corn tortillas... Nice to get a a big stack for 2-3$. Tried making some with mesa but was not too successful lol

2016 Jan 11
FWIW you can get corn tortillas at Market Organics. I think the brand name is Tortilla Factory and they are usually on a rack facing the take-out counter.

As for rotis +1 for Grace International. There is also a place on Somerset called Kaashi Foods where Nasa used to be. (It's at the corner of Somerset and Booth.) I think they specialize in Asian foods but it might be worth a shot if you are on your way down Somerset to Bank...

2016 Jan 11
I thought I saw some at that Marche Hintonberg (or what ever it is called) on Wellington near the big church

2016 Jan 11
Just to follow up on Kaashi on somerset - They have roti sometimes, as well as naan, pakoras, samosa, pre-made curries and the usual indian goodies. Everything I've had is good but availability is dependent on what they are making that day. I haven't purchased the Roti but the ones I saw looked nice.

Also I'm pretty sure I saw some in the new ethnic food freezer at the Bank & Somerset Independent grocer but who knows what they are actually like!

2016 Jan 11
Loblaws (at least the one near me on Rideau) has some frozen parathas in the freezer section that could be a good substitute. They're super cheap and come out pretty well.

2016 Jan 11
Foodbasics and freshco.com also has frozen parathas

2016 Jan 12
Was going to say Foodbasics should have tons of frozen roti and ethnic breads.

Also Walmart South Keys has a lot and even has some frozen items from India!
I bought some veg samosa- forget the brand, but really hated the spices they used.

Loblaws Rideau is quite good and a huge store- they should have them there!

2016 Jan 12
produce depot has these Giant really thin "pita" bread. can't remember the name but the come in a plastic bag and look square put then you unfold them. really food.

2016 Jan 14
Thanks all.

No luck at : Grace (does anyone shop here anymore? store shelves bare, freezers empty except for ones at front), Herb & Spice on bank st, & Hartman's. Didn't stop in Caribbean restaurant near Hartman's because I was running late.

I'll keep looking. If anyone actually sees them in a store let me know.

2016 Jul 14
I am looking now for Roti skins. Any luck?

2016 Jul 14
Monte go Bay, Cool Runnings.