Best Egg Nog [General]

2015 Nov 28
'tis the season!

What is your fave egg nog and why?

I tried a handful last year and found a couple faves...but many of the pricey ones weren't that good. Help me narrow my search please!

I liked Harmony Organics and Mac's...

2015 Nov 29
heard cochrane's is good i think

2015 Nov 29
Cochrane's is out of business - no egg nog this year :-(

It was our favorite.

But they did say that Reid's is taking over and will be doing a run of egg nog under their name.

www.facebook.com

2015 Nov 29
Followup. Best places to get a nutmeg nut so I can fresh grind into my eggnog ?(I assume bulk barn)

Also, Rum or Bourbon? And if so, which brand? (Personally, I am a fan of North of 7 Rum)

2015 Nov 29
I second Harmony.

Reid's Dairy is also very good, and is what is being re-sold under the Cochrane's name (why, I'm not sure, as I would have thought Cochrane's brand was damaged after their legal troubles).

2015 Nov 29
Family recipe
Milk, whipped egg, vanilla and Tia Maria yum:)

2015 Nov 29
My favorites last year were Harmony and Cochrane's. With Sailor Jerry's rum.

2015 Nov 30
My favourite is the Farm Boy Egg Nog. Comes in a glass bottle like Cochrane's and only has "good" ingredients.

After consuming two wonderful bottles of it last Christmas, my M-I-L gave me a carton of a mass produced brand (black carton with - I think - yellow writing) that she bought at another grocery store.

I took one sip and poured it down the sink. It tasted so artificial - like liquid plastic - LOL

Did not even compare to Farm Boys egg nog.

2015 Dec 1
I became quite fond of Limestone Creamery's egg nog last year. I was picking it up whenever I passed through Perth. It is also being sold in the glass bottles. Now that Limestone Creamery products are available at Herb and Spice (I shop the Wellington store), I'll be looking for egg nog there.

2015 Dec 6
Thyme and Again also sells the Limestone Creamery egg nog, but it's a bit cheaper at Herb and Spice.

2015 Dec 7
We tried the (pricey at $8/L!) Limestone Creamery product and found it too sweet and not creamy enough. The label says natural flavours, but honestly it tastes a bit like a Butter Rum Lifesaver candy to me. Still better than the usual grocery store stuff though. We wanted to get the Farm Boy egg nog to compare as we loved it last year, but haven't had the chance yet.

Just discovered today that the Natrel egg nog ($6/2L) at Costco is really quite good!

2015 Dec 7
Whole foods has some eggnog in a glass bottle.
I have to go there Tuesday,so will remember to buy some.

The Farmboy one is good with Brandy or Cointreau in it-I hate Rum.
Any recipe that calls for Rum,I add Cointreau,Amaretto,Brandy anything but rum.

I want to make eggnog, but do not eat raw eggs. I will remember to buy the pasteurized eggs in a carton, those are ok to consume raw.

I've been very sick from some eggs in a quiche,so no raw egg,fish or meats for me.

2015 Dec 8

2015 Dec 9
I picked up a carton of the Reids Egg Nog, I could barely get a small cup down. No amount of brandy or rum or bourbon could make it drinkable (for me) It is being repurposed for bread pudding.

2015 Dec 11
Good lord! It's December 11th and I haven't had any egg nog yet! My contract stipulates a certain minimum amount, so I'd better get started or it's going to be a sickening week between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

2015 Dec 30
For reference when this question comes up again next December, we did a head to head comparison of Limestone Creamery and Harmony Organics. It was close, but two out of two judges marginally preferred Limestone Creamery. The deciding factor was that the Limestone Creamery one was a bit less sweet. Maybe next year we'll see how the the Farm Boy eggnog stacks up.