Red meat and processed meat cause cancer : WHO study [Food/Vendor]

2015 Oct 27
According to a new WHO study red meat and processed meat causes cancer: www.ottawacitizen.com I am NOT giving up my bacon....

2015 Oct 27
The WHO is just restating old science with a 'SO WE'RE DECLARING IT EVIL' byline, perhaps because post-Ebola most of the world forgot that the WHO exists or something and no new plagues were developing anywhere.

There is nothing new to anything they're relying on as far as i can be bothered looking.

Also, they can have my bacon when they can pry it from my cold dead salty greasy fingers.

2015 Oct 27
Does that also apply to bacon and processed meats that are all natural and have no preservatives?

I have some organic bacon, from a place in Quebec and it has no phosphates or nitrites in the ingredients.

What about smoked salmon and smoked chicken? or those natural dried sausages from Whole Foods? are those bad for you too??

I try to avoid most food that has preservatives like phosphates,nitrites and artificial colour/flavor...if possible.
Not because of any media report,but I have some health issues and those ingredients make it much worse.

2015 Oct 27
Here's an excellent, balanced, article on the topic: scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org

The TL;DR version:

Of the general public (in the UK), 61 out of 1000 will develop bowel cancer.
Of those who eat the least processed meat, 56 out of 1000 will develop bowel cancer.
Of those who eat the most processed meat, 66 out of 1000 will develop bowel cancer.

So it sucks for the 10 out of 1000 people who could have avoided bowel cancer by eating less meat. The problem is that you can't tell if you're in that 1% or the 99% where it wouldn't have made a difference...

My suggestion: use processed meat like any other sometimes treat. Cut it from your daily habits but continue to enjoy it.

2015 Oct 27
"Of those who eat the most processed meat, 66 out of 1000 will develop bowel cancer"

If they eat the most processed meat, what other bowel cancer foods are they eating?

Is it like saying, Those who carry a BIC lighter with them everywhere are more prone to getting lung cancer?

Damn bacon ... and those BIC lighters.

2015 Oct 28
The BBC is reporting that processed meat has been put in the same category by WHO for causing cancer with alcohol and plutonium.

2015 Oct 30
Processed meat, well there is so many preservatives and other crap in food.

Some people say aluminium in cans is bad, and also in cosmetics.
Some medications are made with toxic metals and colours-a doctor was trying to tell me to try a calcium tablet that was made with aluminium in it. Don't think I will.

Let's see you can get diabetes,heart disease,heart problems, liver problems, kidney problems, injuries. Car accidents,bike accidents- sports injuries.
My sister's friend was at a circus school and fell on her neck- she is quadriplegic now.

Your own family member could burn you to death to kill you too.
My aunt (Lucie Goudreau) from Ottawa- she was burned to death by her crazy son.
Ok, that will not happen to 99% of people,but this is in the news again this week...

2015 Oct 30
Does this mean i can resume eating plutonium as long as i keep it down to once a week or so?

2015 Oct 30
In moderation, yes.
I've been working on a plutonium and bacon cocktail for some time now: the Irradiant Pig.

2015 Oct 30
Can you whip up some plutonian infused bitters?
My cocktails need some more kick.

2015 Oct 30
I think you are ok unless you light your plutonium with a bic. That really seems to be the problem.