RIP Ron Eade [Events]

2015 Aug 14
I heard today, through twitter, that Ron Eade, former Ottawa Citizen Food editor, and blogger of some renown here, has passed away suddenly from cancer. I do not have more details, but I am sure more will come shortly. The Obit on the Citizen will be posted soon.

2015 Aug 14
This is incredibly sad. :(

2015 Aug 14
I am saddened to hear this. Ron was such an amicable man and a staunch supporter of the local food scene.

2015 Aug 14
:-(

2015 Aug 14
ottawacitizen.com

(Note: They say he "retired' from the Citizen in 2003)

2015 Aug 14
It is always sad when one of Ottawa's food community passes on but the loss of Ron Eade is particularly devastating. Champion of Ottawa's dining scene, famously cantankerous yet endearingly genuine, he was nothing if not devoted.

I last spent time with Ron when he invited me to breakfast at John's Family Diner on May 6 of 2014. We chatted about the fantastic progress of Ottawa's food scene over the past couple of decades and professed admiration for the many dedicated chef/owners in the community.

Heartfelt condolences to Nancy and Graeme and to everyone who was touched by his presence and many contributions. I encourage toasting Ron and his memory at your dinner table tonight. I know I'll think of him every time I fire up my Big Green Egg. Here's to you, Ron!

2015 Aug 14
I attended a few of his Omnivore's Ottawa dinner club outings and admired how he gave our business to local restaurants. I recall him attending one of our ottawafoodies potlucks and he arrived bearing some homemade rillettes that were probably the best I've ever tasted.

2015 Aug 28
Sad to read this. I found many great places because of his writing.

2015 Aug 28
It was sad to hear of his passing. He always made a point of supporting my parent's breweries before they retired. I remember him always showing up at special events and putting his own twist on things.

I made a point to visit some personal favorite restaurants and enjoy my meals with company from out of town, as I am sure he would have wanted.

Ottawa has changed a lot, and Ron Eade certainly had a hand, and an opinion on it.

Eat on!