How not to throw away bad booze [Booze]

2015 Jul 8
This conversation got me thinking about ways to make undrinkable booze drinkable: Forum - Shine On

As I mentioned there, my favourite way to use up nasty spirits is in a sour. You can take any beverage, shake it up with an egg white, citrus, sugar and ice, and ta-dah it's pretty good! Mostly because the egg white mellows any harshness and the rest makes it taste like lemonade. I use pisco and amaretto in my sours because I find both of them to be undrinkable pretty much any other way. I love a good bourbon sour, but frankly find it to be a waste of whisky. Give me an amaretto sour and a bourbon straight up over two bourbon sours any day of the week! Except Tuesdays—those often demand nothing less than a bourbon sour. :P

I've dabbled in home wine making in the past, which left me with cases upon cases of wine that doesn't really age well. It's hit or miss when I uncork one. Lately, I've been enjoying the not-so-great bottles by pouring the room temperature wine over a glass half-full of frozen wild blueberries. This turns out to be a fantastic trick as dark berries enhance the best parts of red wine and the chilling effect of the fruit tones down any nastiness in the wine. The wine ends up delicious and the berries make a fantastic and healthy treat afterwards!

What tricks do you use to rescue bad booze?

2015 Jul 8
Yeah, sangria. Any kind of wine with fruit added is palatable. I remember you turning around a mediocre glass of red wine with a couple of drops of bitters. You can use anything that has a really strong flavour to help mask the badness of some booze.

Honestly, who enjoys the taste of tequila? Nobody, that's who. Add limes and it's a whole other story. Fruit to the rescue.

2015 Jul 9
Food grade vegetable glycerine mellows harshness. Some wines have awful "teenage" years, sunlight actually helps accelerate them past it. Hydrogen peroxide 1/4 tsp per liter can help.

2015 Jul 9
I find for cheap vodka, the old britta filter trick works for me (Did mythbusters do an episode on this?)

Also, infusing flavours tends to work for me. I have had good results with Jim Bean, Apples, cinamon and vanilla.