strawberries [General]

2015 Jun 19
The Dragonlady needs information. She says that she tried sending an email to Shouldice, but they haven't gotten back to her.

She wants to know how much a flat of strawberries will cost at a roadside stand versus doing a U-Pick. No pricing information is available on their site, and there is no phone number.

Strawberries are supposed to be at their peak this weekend and we'd like to freeze a bunch.

2015 Jun 19
Saw them at a stall in Stittsville yesterday - $11 for 1 litre and $16 for 1.5 or 2 litre (I don't recall the second size). I can't be certain of the sizes but they were the prices for small and larger.

2015 Jun 19
I know Rochon is 9 dollars U pick or 14 for a quart. 3 quarts to a flat, so 27 vs 42 for a flat. The Rochon U pick is in Edwards, just opened yesterday.

2015 Jun 19
Earlier today I bought a quart of strawberries from Shouldice at the Experimental Farm location. This is no fault of theirs, but I found them to be not very sweet. I'd be interested in hearing if others are finding them a bit on the tart side. Earlier this week before the local ones were actually being sold, I bought a quart at Loblaws which were from somewhere else in Ontario, I forget where, and they were even more tart than the ones I got today.

2015 Jun 20
I bought some Quebec strawberries last week and they were mostly tart.

2015 Jun 20
I had some this week from Avonmore Berry Farm and they wer not too sour, not too sweet, just right! And the size was just right too. Goldilocks would have loved them. We sure did.
www.avonmoreberryfarm.com

2015 Jun 20
Andy, did you buy them at the farm stand or somewhere in/near Ottawa?

2015 Jun 20
I had some Ontario grown (not sure where) ones from Loblaws last week and they were almost too sweet. I think it's just been a weird season for berries. Too much rain in waves.

2015 Jun 20
felinefan mine came from the Saturday morning Chesterville Farmer's Market, so no, not Ottawa, and nearness is for you to judge.

2015 Jun 20
Is it possible to pick organic strawberries . . . or no such thing ?

2015 Jun 20
Rizak, I stopped at Shouldice on Richmond Road this afternoon and thought to ask the question. The girl didn't know what a flat was, and therefore couldn't tell me anything about pricing, but she "thought" the difference on 4 liters to be around $6.00. Not very helpful, I know, but I thought I'd let you know I asked.

2015 Jun 20
Feline Fan- I bought strawberries from the same stand and found a few sweet ones but most were very tart.

2015 Jun 21
Trying to remember how much it was at the Rouchon stand at Parkdale market on Friday. Maybe $5 or 6 for a small container and 12 or 15$ for a litre basket?

I bought some huskap (sp?) which looked a bit like honey berries or oblong blueberries and some ground cherry jam.. was in more an unusual kick on Friday when I went shopping. Actually just checked and it was honey berry which my mom grows.

2015 Jul 6
The Dragonlady just got back from Foster Family Farm with a couple of baskets she picked this morning. I can't wait to get home! They're so sweet right now with all this sun to convert the sugars.

EDIT: That's $50 worth of berries, at $12.50 for 4 liter basket.