Good beer near Sparks st? [General]

2014 Dec 31
Is there a good place to get local beers near Spark st? We have friends coming to visit and they'll be keen to try beer from the local scene. They are staying at Lyon/Albert and will have kids, so kid friendly and walkable.

I know the Bier Markt and 3 Brewers, but those are bigger chains.

Thanks in advance.

2014 Dec 31
Darcy McGee's, also a chain, has a few good local beers on tap. Southern Cross at the other end does a full line up of Craft beers. Brixton's has a few...

2014 Dec 31
Bier Markt just open on Sparks where Zellers' used to be. Haven't been yet tho. . . . . . .

2014 Dec 31
I asked this very question recently on the brewers' list ... answers included :

- not much right on sparks
- Sir John A Pub at Elgin and MacLaren
- Deacon Brodies across from aforementioned
- Fox and Feathers
- Lt Pump has a few micros on tap
- El Camino

Then in the market :
- Lunenburg Pub
- Black Tomato
- Beer Bros

2014 Dec 31
At Somersert and Bronson is Pour Boy wtih $5 craft pints

2014 Dec 31
Pour Boy is Somerset and Lyon, and be prepared that it is cash only.

Kinda illustrative of the desolation of Sparks Street when only a few places can be named near there that serve local beer.

2014 Dec 31
But dammit the NCC will protect that desolation until its dying breath!

2015 Jan 1
Right on Sparks, Parliament pub has Broadhead and I believe a few other micros. Carmellos restaurant also has 10 micros on tap, I assume a few locals. Also Pep and Ninos is licensed and has Broadhead.

2015 Jan 2
Parliament Pub is closed for renos until the spring.

2015 Jan 2
This isn't a pub but thought I'd mention that I was pleasantly surprised to find 3 great local beers on tap at the East India Company (just looked up their website and I stand corrected, they bill themselves as a pub & eatery). In either case, a nice Indian restaurant considering it's a buffet. I find the food to be quite authentic (North) Indian, lots of people of Indian origin go there. We had the choice of broadhead (lager, I think), beyond the pale (rye guy) and an amber ale that I think was also local (can't remember, maybe this was the broadhead and the lager was creamore). I think you get my point ...
location is Somerset Street between O'Connor and Metcalfe streets. Kids were having a good time on New Years eve. They make fresh naan bread. I know my kids (5 yr/old) would like this.

Speaking of Somerset street, what about Union 613?

2015 Jan 5
Once you're on Sparks, Mill Street Brewery isn't far and does a great variety of their own beers.

Food isn't bad.