Skin-on (but boneless) duck breasts? [Food/Vendor]

2014 Nov 24
So I'm planning on doing some duck sous vide sometime next week, and am looking for skin-on breasts. Best I can tell, the skin fat won't render at the medium-rare temp I'll be bathing at, which means I'll have a nice cushion to sear it down afterwards to get a crispy skin without cooking the breast itself. Problem is, the last couple I've seen (before I got my circulator) were skinless.

Anyone know where I should look? Saslove? Chinatown? Somewhere that sells duck fat would also be a huge bonus.

2014 Nov 25
I've seen boneless skin on organic duck breasts at the IGA on the Quebec side. It's fairly expensive, but it was pretty high quality. Chinatown would probably be another spot to try, or T&T.

If you are going to try the sous vide duck from "Chef John" I do not recommend scouring the skin with a knife (as you can cut too deep). Just take a kabob skewer, or good toothpick, and start poking holes in the skin, until you are tired of doing it. It will create channels for the fat to render out and the skin to become crispy.

2014 Nov 25
LAc Brome duck is available at a number of places inc Farm Boy and Sazloves.

2014 Nov 26
You can find them at Costco in Gatineau at a reasonable price.

2014 Nov 26
Sasloves on Wellington usually has them. Pretty sure they sell duck fat too.

2014 Nov 26
Thanks for the tips, everyone. Sasloves is easy.

Francis, I wasn't planning on trying that specific one, but am I not just as likely to poke into the meat as I am to score too deeply?

2014 Nov 29
go to Mariposa & get the fatty ones much bigger and they cook more evenly