Artisanal ice cubes + $1 [General]

2014 Oct 21
Sadly, its finally happened.... Thankfully, not in Ottawa (yet).

www.washingtoncitypaper.com

Ice is supplied from a specialized ice company : favouriteice.com/

www.washingtoncitypaper.com

“Ice is the soul of a cocktail,” says Barmini “cocktail innovator” Juan Coronado. “You have your spirits, you have your ingredients—your organs, basically, in a body—that give shape and texture and aroma and flavor to the cocktail. But without ice, you have nothing.”

2014 Oct 21
Best reply to the second article:

Ben • 2 years ago
But what about the glass my drink is served in?! Was it hand-blown in Italy? It fucking better be. And how about that olive you're about to place in my artisanal martini? Was it grown organically in a 1000-year old olive grove in Greece in soil fertilized with the feces of grass-fed cattle? If not, I'm afraid I'll have to take my business elsewhere! I deserve the best!
1 • Reply•Share ›

2014 Oct 21
This stuff makes us laugh, but is it really that different from any of our other perceived luxuries? We're all snobby about something.

The nice thing is, nobody's forcing you to pay for this ice. And the free market takes care of this kind of thing. If customers value it, it will persist!

In 2014, cheap ice is for dumping on your head. If it goes in your drink it better be artisanal. :D

2014 Oct 21
I don't know, what's the tap water like in DC? We're lucky to have some pretty good water here in Ottawa, and most cities are the same, but some places the tap water is pretty bad tasting. If I lived in such a place, I could conceive that I would not want to pay, say, $100 for a bottle of whisky and have it be contaminated by my ice-made-from-local-tap-water.

Perhaps 'artisinal' ice is over-the-top but as FF says, people will vote with wallets.

Weren't "glacier ice cubes" a 'thing' back a few years ago?

2014 Oct 22
The first fancy-pant ice company I heard of was this one: www.glaceice.net If I was so rich that I had money to blow, I might buy this ice.

Elvira Kurt was taking the piss out of them on Q. It was pretty funny: www.cbc.ca

I was fortunate enough once to harvest some of my own glacier ice from the arctic, back when I had fewer kids and farm animals. In the arctic, people take chunks off the glaciers all the time to take back to their homes use for their tea water. I carefully wrapped and brought south some of my own glacier ice and used it for drinks.

2014 Oct 22
My first taste of glacier ice was in this Quidi Vidi beer.
Of course they had to melt it to make the beer. I found it a bit watery (too much ice?) but refreshing on a hot summer day. Best and worst thing about it was that the broken bottle will make for a great beach glass find in the years to come.

2014 Nov 5
Philistines. All of you. :P

I'd say the Aviary in Chicago is legitimately making "artisanal" ice.

I want to go here so badly.