Fake scallops at buffets? anyone notice and how to be sure? [General]

2014 Jun 15
I ate at a couple of the newer all you can eat (or shovel) "asian buffet" restaurants in the past few weeks and also at a reputable Japanese sit down resto.

At the two buffet places I am somewhat suspicious that what is being passed off as "tempura scallop" is some other fish item.

-the breaded scallops were all the exact same shape and size, has pre-made breading and seemed to be from frozen most likely (no issues w frozen fish).

-what kind of tipped me off was that when I took a bite the texture was more spongy and when I took some of the breadding off the "scallop had a kind of a look with small holes like it was some other kind of processed fish.

This was at Ten Sushi on Bank St and also at 168 Sushi.

What exactly am I eating? I did not take a pic, but next time I go for lunch I will try and sneak a pic.

Also a couple days ago I ate at Suisha and had the scallops in "house sauce" (some kind of soy/ginger base) and the texture of the scallops is more what it is supposed to be and was super good and fresh!
-this was not a breaded dish,but a dish they cook in a shell at your table and you can obviously see they are scallops too.

I also just remembered I had some sweet and sour scallop "balls" from a Chinese take-out a month ago and while my combination plate was well priced they did use real scallops and these were not anything like the buffet ones.
I did notice that for my meal the place had cut regular scallops into quarters and used a ton of breading-but at least those were real scallops.

Has anyone else noticed this when eating at 168 or Ten Sushi??

2014 Jun 16
I've had those at buffets like Panda Garden Buffet but I'm a little surprised that they sell them at the à la carte places. It's one thing to throw a "Breaded Scallop" label over the trough where diners can clearly see they're factory manufactured breaded pucks of starchy protein paste, but I'd sure be disappointed to receive factory pucks after ticking off "tempura scallop" on an order form!

P.S. re: frozen fish. Living in Ottawa, the only never-frozen seafood you would probably want to eat is that which has been kept alive during shipping (e.g. lobster).

2014 Jun 16
Think of it like ordering a California Roll....the don't explicitly tell you they use imitation crab now do they!

2014 Jun 16
I thought most scallops at the grocery store were frozen before?
or at least sometimes I've seen them in a bucket of phosphate solution.

Usually I get frozen scallops at the grocery store, as I prefer the ones with no preservatives.
Quite a few of the fish stores (Pelican) sell shrimp and scallops that are defrosted and w preservatives.

Now I have not bought fish from Whalesbone, but plan to soon (I have eaten it while out often).

@Krusty I actually have a menu here where they specify some sushi is made w Crabstick and some places do differentiate and put if it is soft shell crab.

I used to eat quite a few California rolls, but kind of got tired of eating them so often....lol!

Next time I go to Ten Sushi for lunch, I will just take the scallops with me, much easier than a pic!

*Actually I see Ten Sushi does take out and I might be tempted to do that one evening for a snack.
Tempura scallop is #11 on the online menu someone posted and is $3.99 for 6pc.
-then I could do my pics at home w decent light!
Maybe they could call it "McScallop" at that price (well if McD offered it that is.

*Also wanted to add, the Chinese take out place I get sweet sour or pineapple scallop from they DO use real scallop, but I think since it is breaded they can get away w cutting them in half...now I feel like some fake asian food with colored sauce for dinner, lol

What is this mystery thing that is being passed off as scallops?
I really want to know what I ate.

2014 Jun 25
so,
I had someone look into Ten Sushi for me (As I had a few other cleanliness concerns there before from a couple earlier visits).

But also was somewhat wondering what is this "thing" I ate.

So, the person that looked into this for me said Ten Sushi uses "nugget flavored scallop" and it is from a authorized source".

Looking online I did not see scallop nuggets, but then did a search on scallop flavored nuggets and there is some Malaysian companies on Alibaba that sell exactly what it is I ate and seems to be more a fish product.

Now I know to get more bang for my buck at Ten Sushi if I eat there, get shrimps, salmon or other stuff...

Here is what my food looked like:

www.21food.com

2014 Jun 25
Pretty sure they are from this company:
www.thongsiek.com

Good to know, I always wondered how they could afford to do breaded scallop at AYCE sushi places.

2014 Jun 25
Hmmm, 'fish meat' first and 'scallop flavour' second to last on the ingredients. Sounds tasty

2014 Jun 25
... and 'fish meat' with 'crab flavour'.

2014 Jun 26
I don't mind those Crab or is it Krab? sticks.
Just that I like to know what I am eating.

I do not really go to AYCE "Asian" food that much (just been 3 times this year).
But I do not think it is really right for the restaurant to be selling the scallops on the take out menu as Tempura Scallops or maybe they think most people can not tell when you stuff yourself and top everything with sauces?

Also, tried those crab sticks tempura style and they were pretty good...

2014 Jun 26
Another misleading label is how most Sushi restaurants call Escolar "White Tuna" and Tilapia "Red Snapper." Very misleading as I would have no problem eating raw snapper but raw Tilapia is very unappetizing, as anyone who's ever seen a Tilapia hatchery will tell you.

2014 Jun 28
I did not know this about Tilapia and Red Snapper- I do not usually order much raw fish, my mother and sister usually do.

What kind of ticks me off is that Ten Sushi is also selling the same "scallops" in their "A la Cart" (as english people say...) menu and calling then Tempura Scallops , under #11 for their take-out and delivery menu.

6pc. for $3.99

I spoke to someone at the city and they told me that they only do food inspections (I had another issue with the same place...). and to contact the Trade Bureau or something like that who is responsible for the labeling laws.

I know it is not the end of the world to have a restaurant item that is sort of misleading and with buffet I'm not surprised too much.

But with take-out and how many people do not realize they are eating something else? That's not really right.

If they were just serving these scallop fish nugget "puck things" only in the buffet and not a separate item, it would not be that bad as you are paying one price to stuff yourself with crap and truckloads of food.

Also,I know if this annoys me so much I can just either avoid the restaurant or not order the item.

2014 Jun 28
Expecting 6 deep-fried scallops for four bucks is like expecting a real fish fillet in McD's 'Fillet-o-Fish'.

2014 Jun 28
I know that...!

Fillet O fish you know it is made from real fish and McD actually tells you what kind of fish. I have no issue w that.

(and BTW...Harvey's has a Wild North Atlantic Cod sandwich made w a real fish fillet for around $6 or so (or less w coupons you print online).

www.harveys.ca

Also if the take-out menu at Ten sushi has Tempura Shrimp listed at 6pc for $7 and scallop is half of that price for same quantity you gotta question that.

But I have had breaded scallops at a chinese take out in a combo plate with 4 or 5pc scallop for $9.50 w rice, veg and egg roll.
And they did use real scallops, but the scallops were cut in half or thirds-but were at least real.

So, you could prob get real scallops breaded somewhat cheaply if they were to use a ton of batter like on most tempura items.

Those fake scallops what exactly are they made from. Fish is an ingredient....but FISH??
No listing at all of what kind. Anyone have any idea?

At least w Crabstick you know it is pollock of whatever on the package.

But when the ingredient list is just....."FISH".....??

Fish when it is ground up.....could be anything I guess.