mmmmmaple sugar [Cooking]

2014 Jun 13
First batch of maple sugar went off without an issue. I was surprised how easy it was to make! Might try a larger batch next time.

2014 Jun 13
Krusty, how did you make it?

2014 Jun 13
Nice !

Now I've always believed that if you can sell bottled water for $2 / liter, and maple sap is delicious (slight maple flavor and slightly sweet), it may make more sense to sell the sap, rather than boiling it down 50:1 to sell one liter of syrup for $10. Sap is rather transparent, so it would be easy to sterilize it for bottling by using UV light, or extreme pressure, without any change in the taste.

2014 Jun 14
Treewell is already doing that with their new saperatif product. A lightly carbonated birch sap.

I can't make this shit up.

It's actually quite good. I like to use it as a mix for whisky.

2014 Jun 14
It is quite good (maple sap). One guy at work told me it would give me a stomach ache, but it did not. Another guy I know, with a sugar bush, drinks it all the time, because there is no water out at the sugar shack, so he drinks the raw sap when thirsty. It's perfectly ok.

But for commercial operations, sterilizing by UV light before bottling is probably a good idea.

2014 Jun 16
Felinefan I will make another batch this week and show the whole process.

K,

2014 Jun 16
YAY! Another krusty tutorial!

2014 Jun 16
You can buy the maple sap in 1l "juice boxes" online under the Sev brand.
Bought some on Montreal and it was $6 and tasted good.

I think you can also get a 3x 250 ml in juice boxes from some other brand online.

Would buy again,but not too often as it is expensive. They also had some maple water with the sugar taken out in a nice glass bottle.
I did not buy that, but apparently it is like water, but from the maple tree.
-not sure what the brand was.

2014 Jun 18
Rizak if only MsKrusty did share the same level of enthusiasm when I am experimenting in the kitchen :)

Here goes....

First batch was 1.5L of syrup in the kitchenaid. Worked just fine. This batch is 6" of syrup in the hobart.

Boil syrup until 45F above the boiling point of water. 155F in my case.

2014 Jun 18
Thanks to StuartS for getting me addicted to PIDs....target temp hit

2014 Jun 18
Into the hobart it goes. Stir it on med - high speed with paddle until it is done. Took me about 5 mins and had to stop it a couple times to scoop down the side of the basin for continued stirring. At about 2:20 in the video you can see the image blur due to a huge release of steam from it. Sorry the lighting is not better. But it goes from this syrup to crystals to a fine crystal with no moisture.

2014 Jun 18
and the finished product. 8# from 6 liters of syrup.

2014 Jun 18
And of course a scene of Toni Montana in "Sugarface" after snorting a huge mound of maple sugar.

2014 Jun 18
Krusty, thanks for posting this. I assume you mean 155 CELCIUS rather than F? If I were to try, say, a liter in the Kitchenaid, how long do you think the Kitchenaid would have to work to turn it into sugar?

2014 Jun 18
Actually good catch! 255F is the target temp.

In our kitchenaid it only took a couple of minutes. 5 tops. It goes through a couple stages.....thick and gooey as it cools, then forms into crystals but with some goo, then will let off a huge burst of steam, and then becomes sugarlike. I beat it for 2 minutes after that point. I doubt it would hurt to go longer as it is just driving moisture out. It is pretty self evident and I dont think you could get it wrong.

2014 Jun 18
Great, thank you. I am going to try this sometime this week and will post my results. Good ones, I hope.

2014 Jun 18
Ya just make sure you use a pot to boil it with a thick bottom so you do not scorch it. If it was a month earlier I would have planted sugar beets for some fall sugar making.

2014 Jun 18
VERTICAL VIDEO FOUL

Your license to use the internet is now under review.

2014 Jun 18
Rizak..... technology puts me to sleep on a good day and maybe this winter when i have some free time i could figure out how to make nice interweb videos :)

Time to load up the smoker before bed as the pulled pork should be ready for lunch tomorrow.