Aged beef at Loblaws? [General]

2014 May 21
I was at the Loblaws in Aylmer this week, which is near done a renovation. I noticed that to the right of the "butcher" section there was a display of what looked like aging beef. Does anyone know anything about this? Is this at other Loblaws in the area?

2014 May 21
Probably just holographic images to trick you into thinking they sold good meat ...

2014 May 21
I have seen meat graded "Prime" once in a blue moon at Loblaws but I have never known them to age their meat. You never know, though. Competition among the grocery stores is fierce so maybe they are adding this. Ask them and report back.

2014 May 21
I don't think "prime" has anything to do with aging. I am rusty in my butchery but "prime" has everything (by my recollection) to do with marbeling.

2014 May 21
You are right and It know that. I only mentioned it because it would seem strange that since they carry "Prime grade beef" so seldom, which is quite a step up,from their usual not very good beef, I would be surprised if they went to the expense and bother of aging their beef. Didn't express myself very well.

2014 May 22
Recently I bought AAA Ontario beef rib steaks at Riverside South Independent and they were the best steaks we've had for ages. Better than the local beef I usually buy from Manotick Village Butcher. When I went back the next week I told the Italian butcher at Independent how much we had loved the steaks and he told me he has the meat "hanging out back". I should have asked more details as he's happy to talk about his products.

2014 May 23
:Hanging out back." I love that.

2014 Jun 19
Finally got around to taking a pic of the meat.

2014 Jun 19
And another pic, this time of the cheese:

2014 Jun 19
Thiberius, I have not see that at the two Loblaw's I frequent the most - Merivale & Baseline and the Superstore in Westboro. However, the one on Isabelle has undergone extensive renovations and the next time I am in there, I'll have a look around. It is the nicest Loblaws I have ever been in and they carry a lot of stuff you don't see in some of the others don't carry so I will check out the meat. What are the prices like for the dry aged beef and how long is it aged for?

2014 Jun 19
felinefan I shop at the Isabella Street Loblaws and I don't recall seeing a meat counter like the one in Thiberius's picture - I will have to look for one the next time I'm there. But they have a wall of cheese almost identical to the one in the pic above and it's just to the left of the deli counter. They actually have quite a nice cheese selection. And if that isn't enough cheese for you there is some more to the right of the deli counter - mostly Kraft products but they have Balderson and St. Albert cheeses there too.

The LCBO next door is ready to open any day now - I received a flyer in the mail from them yesterday and I'll be damned if I can remember the opening date-;) But I'm pretty sure it's this weekend so you can buy some meats and cheeses at Loblaws and pick up a bottle of wine after.

2014 Jun 19
Isabella LCBO opens Wednesday the 25th.