Flaked coconut? [Cooking]

2014 Apr 6
Anyone know where to buy unsweetened coconut flakes? I'm sure they aren't to hard to find but I haven't been looking very hard.

2014 Apr 6
After seeing the coconut bacon recipe here, I just went out and bought the last bag at Kardish (Blossom Park) to make it at home. I would assume the other locations carry it too?

2014 Apr 6
Yeah that's what I want it for as well! I have shredded coconut on hand but I'm not sure how that would turn out.

2014 Apr 6
I believe Bulk Barn has flaked coconut.

2014 Apr 6
Makelikehands, I followed most of the directions (except I replaced the Tamari with coconut aminos). It doesn't really taste like bacon, but it is absolutely delicious! It kind of has a salty caramel taste to it.

I dot see why you couldn't use shredded coconut, but you would have to be more watchful about burning. Maybe check on it every couple minutes instead of every 5 min while baking?

Good luck!

2014 Apr 6
I checked bulk barn and they did have coconut flakes but they are sweetened unfortunately. I think I'll try a batch with shredded and if I don't like the outcome buy the flakes next time I'm out. Thanks!

2014 Apr 6
I bought some large flake unsweetened coconut at Mid-East Food Centre a month ago.

2014 Apr 7
Would have said Bulk Barn but for the un/sweetened thing...
Have seen them at the Billing Bridge organic place but would call to confirm.

2014 Apr 7
I've seen them at Rainbow in the bulk bins, if you're in that area. They're the big curl pieces if that's what you mean?

2014 Apr 19
nuts.com has some.

I would say natural food pantry- but they refuse to label their own bulk and I've asked them several times over the years by email about that and was told "they would consider it....".

Staff there at least at the Billings store do not really know the ingredients of the bulk either... (and it is not that fresh from stuff I have tried).

2014 Apr 21
I saw Unsweetened Coconut Chips at Rainbow Foods on April 10. On sale until the end of the month.

2014 Apr 22
I think they sell bags of them at Vaishali's, probably other Indian food grocery stores.