Favourite Thanksgiving dish? [General]

2013 Oct 13
I'm always interested in what other people have for Thanksgiving be cause, like many holidays, there are so many regional differences and family traditions at play. What's your favourite dish to serve on Turkey Day? :)

(Personally, I'm torn to pick just one but I'd have to say potato savoury dressing, with boiled onions being a close second!)

2013 Oct 13
My mother always served candied sweet potatoes with the turkey on Thanksgiving. That's probably my favourite, although homemade stuffing is a close second.

2013 Oct 13

2013 Oct 13
Scalloped turnips and apples...yum!

2013 Oct 14
My dad's sage stuffing. Bread crumbs, potato, butter, onion, s&p and sage. No fruit bits, nothing fancy. I could eat a whole plate of it.

2013 Oct 15
post thankgiving turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy on a soft white bun. I've come to the conclusion that Thankgiving dinner is better the next day, especially when you are working all day on prep, and then clean up. Also pumpkin pie for breakfast rocks.

2013 Oct 15
^^ That's the biggest reason I did almost all my veggie/sides prep ahead of time this year. Potato and summer savoury dressing was made the day before and just needed to bake, boiled onions needed to be reheated, squash mashed the day before, etc.

Yesterday all we had left was to roast the turkey, do carrots and parsnips, gravy, and make the Gravenstein pie and squash pie. :) Easy-peasy!

2013 Oct 15
I find there are always way more drippings than we need for the gravy. The morning after Thanksgiving I make or extend the gravy for Christmas and freeze it. I have even made the gravy at Christmas and frozen it for 10 months for Thanksgiving. Freezes perfectly. When you do this you never have to make gravy when you should be swilling wine with your family/guests...

2013 Oct 15
southshoregirl, clearly you are not eating enough gravy!

2013 Oct 15
corn pudding and sweet potato biscuits are my two favorite thanksgiving sides.

2013 Oct 15
gravy cocktails

2013 Oct 15
I could get behind that.. ;)

2013 Oct 16
Smoked chicken from the Sausage Kitchen and whatever veggies from the Rochon stall piques my curiousity that day. Since I'm on my own over the holidays there is minimal clean-up and not too many leftovers - yay!

2013 Oct 21
my favourite Thanksgiving dish is turkey sandwiches the next day. With miracle whip and cranberry sauce.
I also love the fact that we are lucky enough to get together with family. this year we did an oven turkey and also tried a deep fried turkey.
I couldn't pass up this photo op that showed what newbies we were, or that the men were at trying to figure out if it reached the right temperature.
Turkey was good, moist, but the clean up is a hassle.

2013 Oct 21
Great photo, solstice! I'm trying to figure out which guy is the expert - I'm thinking it's the fella on the right with hands in his pockets, while the young fella on the left with hands in his pockets is the future expert!

I'm also for post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches - on bread with mayo, white and dark meat, dressing, cranberry sauce, s&p, all smothered with hot turkey gravy, with extra pepper ground over top of the gravy.

2013 Oct 24
My favourite is chestnut stuffing made with chestnut, bacon, dried breadcrumb, etc.

Did a homemade cranberry sauce this year with fresh cranberries and some dried ones and stevia rather than sugar. It was pretty decent in the turkey and brie panini the next day.

2013 Oct 24
Oven roasted acorn squash with butter and brown sugar.

2013 Oct 28
Turkey cooked like this. Honestly, I just got a new LG Gas stove with convection and when I told everyone I was making the bird inside cuz I was excited to use the convection they said they'd skip on the turkey if I didn't do it over charcoal.