Simple recipes for a crowd [General]

2013 Oct 6
I need some simple recipes for a crowd. There will be 12 people, night before Thanksgiving, and a mix of vegetarians and meat eaters. We will eat a lot on Thanksgiving dinner, so the night before is usually more casual. However, I had planned on 8 and now there will be 12 :)

Any quick & easy recipes that people can recommend? I don't usually have a lot of success expanding my usual go-to recipes from 4 servings to 12....

2013 Oct 6
How about a soup or chili, salad, cheese and bread.
I would make the soup or chili vegetarian, so you only have to make one.

Soup ideas
Lentil
Roasted sweet potato
Curry squash
Potato (leek & potato)
Mixed Mushroom
Veggie Barley

Let me know of you want any recipes

2013 Oct 6
Chili is always good. Easy to make 2 pots with same base for chili and one eith meat and one without.

Moroccan stew with couscous. Either cook chicken and lamb sausages separately to add to stew later when serving or split it after 30 mins and add meat to one part.

2013 Oct 7
You can do a simple search online and find hundreds of thousands of them with conditions like 'potluck recipe', or 'church recipe'. I've got probably 6 full cookbooks with that type of recipe alone.

We don't often cook for more than 2, so they go unused most of the time so I can't offer one up for you as a favourite.

2013 Oct 7
Bean salad is an easy one to make in large amounts.

We do one with mixed beans (garbonzo, kidney, pinto, etc, etc) then add some chopped onion, sweet peppers, olive oil, balsamic, and sometimes a tin of tuna. I tried this salad at someones cottage, and it was awesome! They floored me when they told me there was tuna in it. Not something I'd think to add to a bean salad. Because I think I'm the most boring cook in the world.

I also found the bean salad leftovers kept a surprisingly long time in a jar in the fridge.

Cracker and cheese platter is another one that's easy to serve 2 people or 12. I find I feed more snacky type finger foods when I serve a crowd. Various veg, dips, crackers, cheese, salads seem to me the easiest way to feed large numbers. Not as good if you are having a sit down formal meal though.

2013 Oct 7
I second Bean Salad!

But Also - Fajitas! You can usualy prepare everything in advance, and everyone kinda makes their own so even picky eaters can be satisfied.

2013 Oct 7
Another good idea is a colourful pasta salad, like this one. You'd need to make a triple batch (roughly) using 1400 or 1500 g of fresh tortellini (cheese for vegetarians). It could also be served with a green salad or a bean salad or a quinoa salad...We like this salad a lot, and make the dressing on its own for salad greens sometimes because it's really good. You can make the salad, add the dressing, the day of use and refrigerate, adding the spinach just prior to serving. btw we like the leftovers. Very colourful (especially if using added veggies) and difficult not to like (says the guy who's somewhat averse to pasta salads, especially ones with mayo).

FESTIVE PASTA SALAD

VINAIGRETTE:
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

SALAD:
1 (1-pound) package frozen tortellini, cooked, drained and cooled to room temperature
1 (6-ounce) can black olives, drained and sliced
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cups spinach leaves, cleaned, stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces

1. PREPARE VINAIGRETTE: Place 1 tbsp olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, oregano, garlic powder and black pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend on high for 5 seconds. While machine is still running, slowly drizzle the remaining oil through he feed hole of the blender cover or the processor feed tube, and blend until well combined, 15 to 20 seconds. Set aside.

2. PREPARE SALAD: In a large bowl, combine tortellini, olives, feta, scallions, red pepper and spinach. Toss with dressing and serve. If preparing salad in advance, chill and toss spinach into the bowl just before serving to prevent it from wilting.

NUTRITION INFO (per serving): Calories 164, Total Fat 13g, Sat Fat 4g, Cholesterol 14mg, Carb 10g, Fiber 0, Protein 4g.

NOTES: 1. This would work with any pasta other than tortellini. Cheese tortellini is best.
2. Spinach could be omitted or sorrel could be subbed.

Andy’s notes: Very tasty salad. I often make it with 750 g fresh tricolour cheese tortellini, cooked and cooled, and increase the dressing by about ˝ and add extra salad ingredients - it serves 6 to 8; made with a pound of pasta it serves 4 or 5. I have used other tortellini, like bacon, Itaian sausage, etc. I add other ingredients at times, such as some diced cucumber, sliced mushrooms, grated carrot, yellow pepper, tomatillos, peas, celery, etc. Can be served on a bed of spinach if you have a lot of spinach or sub lettuces and other salad greens. I always use lots of sliced, pitted Kalamatas. It's also nice with a bit of grilled garlic lemon chicken or Italian sausages on the side and maybe some garlic bread.
And for dessert this: www.food.com, which I have made with apples, or mangoes, or pears, and used different flavourings in the whipped cream.

2013 Oct 10
Saw this recipe on the Lucky Peach Tumblr (lky.ph/), and it looks both wholly delicious and infinitely scalable:

Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Onion with Tahini and Za’atar

INGREDIENTS

1 large butternut squash (2 1/4 lb. in total), cut into 3/4 by 2 1/2-inch wedges
2 red onions, cut into 1 1/4-inch wedges
3 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 1/2 Tbsp. light tahini paste
1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. water
1 small clove garlic, crushed
3 1/2 Tbsp. pine nuts
1 Tbsp. za’atar
1 Tbsp. coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

PREPARATION
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.

Put the squash and onion in a large mixing bowl, add 3 tablespoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and some black pepper and toss well. Spread on a baking sheet with the skin facing down and roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the vegetables have taken on some color and are cooked through. Keep an eye on the onions as they might cook faster than the squash and need to be removed earlier. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.To make the sauce, place the tahini in a small bowl along with the lemon juice, water, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Whisk until the sauce is the consistency of honey, adding more water or tahini if necessary.

Pour the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil into a small frying pan and place over medium-low heat. Add the pine nuts along with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often, until the nuts are golden brown. Remove from the heat and transfer the nuts and oil to a small bowl to stop the cooking.

To serve, spread the vegetables out on a large serving platter and drizzle over the tahini. Sprinkle the pine nuts and their oil on top, followed by the za’atar and parsley.

Propriety requires me to tell you: this was reprinted with generous permission from Jerusalem: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi & Sami Tamimi, © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.

2013 Oct 10
I'd go for chili for sure. One vegetarian and one regular. Toppings like sour cream, onions, nacho chips, cheeses, etc.

Or, a seasonal one dish like butternut squash lasagna - www.foodnetwork.com

2013 Oct 10
I cook a lot for large gatherings. I have made a quadruple batch of Jamie Oliver's 'pasta al forno' for 20+ people. It tastes fantastic, you can make it ahead of time and just pop it into the oven, plus it will taste completely different than your thanksgiving fare. You'd probably only need to double or triple the batch for your gathering.

2013 Oct 16
Hey Kitchenhog does that Pasta al forno freeze well? I am moving at the end of November but have friends and family coming in from out of town to help so I'm also looking for quick and easy stuff to warm up for both breakfast, lunch and dinner for 2 days since I have to feed everyone and utensils/cooking stuff will all be in boxes