Water kefir grains? [General]

2013 Jul 27
I've been looking online for months for a local source of kefir grains that have not been used in milk. I don't know why I didn't think to ask here before!

I am looking for a non-milk bred kefir grain, as I'm really, really allergic to dairy. Like...not-even-worth-the-risk allergy.

Does anyone know of a local who would have some? I could order them online, I guess, but I'd prefer to find someone in the area who I could go back to in case I kill the colony.

2013 Jul 29
I make water and milk kefir all the time, and never do the two types touch! Even stored in different areas of my home, one in the kitchen, and the other in my milk kitchen.

I got my milk kefir grains from a woman near Kingston, and my water kefir grains a year or two after from this old european dude. No idea how or where to find him.

I often bring water kefir kits to sell at the market (www.oofmarket.ca) for $5 each: a jar with enough grains to last forever (if you take care of 'em) and instructions. And, I'll usually replace a kit free of charge if you mess it up in the first few weeks. ;-)

Love making mine with figs and oranges. Yum!

2013 Jul 30
Oh my god, you are a peach. I will do my damndest to make my way down there.

I want to make some with strawberries and cherries while the season's good.

2013 Jul 30
Happy to help! I'll bring a few kits this Saturday, and if you can't make it, send me a message through our farms facebook page and let me know when you are heading to the market, and I'll make sure I bring some along for you then. :-)

hope this link works: www.facebook.com

2013 Aug 3
I've made it with soy milk, using some live store kefir as a starter. It was excellent.

2013 Aug 3
Sorry I couldn't make it today Organicgirl! I'm hoping I'll be able to come around in a few weeks. I'll send you a message beforehand!

2013 Aug 4
No worries, as long as I know a day or two before, I can put some aside for you. :-)

2013 Nov 4
Free Water Kefir Grains
ottawa.kijiji.ca

2016 Jan 28
I'm get an email about once a week from people looking for kefir grains, and I couldn't figure out why. Then I remembered this post!

Our farm no longer attends any farmers markets (we are now a CSA only farm), but there are some other vendors at the Ottawa Organic Farmers Market that should be able to help find what you need. As well, you can try contacting Agape Gardens for grains.

Here's the farmers market website: www.oofmarket.ca

Here's the site for Agape Gardens: www.agapegardens.ca

And of course, never hurts to take a peek on Kijiji!