Where to buy hominy in Ottawa/Gatineau? [Food/Vendor]

2013 Apr 1
Hi, just reading a recipe of a Mexican Vegetable soup and it calls for hominy which I have never heard of. Any ideas where I can find some? Would Grace on Bank street carry hominy?

OR can I make it myself?

Thanks,
Rice Lover

2013 Apr 2
I've bought canned hominy in Ottawa at Food Basics, but since it is a popular ingredient in Pozole you can probably find it at La Tiendita on Merivale. I haven't found dried hominy as easy to come by, except for hominy grits which are not the same thing.

2013 Apr 2
99.372 % sure I saw dried hominy (not canned) at La Tiendita.

68.427 % sure it was on the lowest shelf.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominy

Pic is from the fridge at La Tiendita, which I never did get around to posting it in the 'Fancy-Pancy Pop' thread.

2013 Apr 2
I found canned hominy at Grace on Bank street. They also have the grits (both yellow and white).

Thank you Captain Caper for the pop info. I am interested too!

2013 Apr 3
Hominy is also called posole - you can also get it at Chilly Chiles in Manotick. They are corn kernels that have the outer husks removed, been treated with lye (before or after?) and then dried. They are used in a lot of stews and soups.

As for the Jarritos pop - yum! I like the tamarind flavour. Can also get the pop at Corazon de Maiz in the market. I wonder if they have hominy?

2013 Apr 3
tamarind flavoured pop?? sounds delicious...is it tart?

2013 Apr 4
You know I can't really remember exactly. I just remember I liked the taste, not too sweet, perhaps a bit more on the sour/tart side. I'm not a big pop drinker as I usually don't like very fizzy drinks (unless they are a champagne style!).

2013 Apr 5
I didn't find the tamarind pop tart. It was lightly sweet with a tinge of sourness. Yum! It got mine at Corazon de Mais. All this talk of it makes me want to go get some tomorrow! :)

2013 Apr 5
I made the Mexican Vegetable soup by the way. it was very yummy. I made it loosely based on the following recipe and threw in other leftover vegetables I had in my fridge: carrots, zucchini, cabbage and topped it all with blue corn chips. Very tasty and the posoles gave it a nice grittiness. Being Chinese, I it reminded me of Chinese soups with beans or lotus seeds.

vegetarian.about.com

2013 Apr 11
I've seen it at Herb and Spice on Wellington.

2013 Apr 13
Update:

La Tiendita

2013 Apr 30
went to aljazeera tonight on wellington street. I saw and bought some white hominy grits, they were the large chunky white corn one. I made them tonight...it was almost like making risotto, but you had to cook them forever. but in the end they were delicious with some fried haloumi on top

2013 May 1
FreshCo in Bells Corners has it.