lcbo [General]

2013 Jan 15
just a reminder, the food and drink is supposed to be out tomorrow.

2013 Jan 15
I don't really understand this phenomena but something someone mentioned a few weeks ago (months ago?) got me thinking.

Apparently they don't give out soft copies of this, but do you figure you could get PDFs of it via the access to information act?

It seems pretty ridiculous to me that the would not give out soft copies readily.

2013 Jan 16
zymurgist The LCBO does in fact give out hard copies of Food and Drink but they fly off the shelves pretty fast. I have two beefs about this: they never seem to have enough paper copies and they charge for back issues. I assume the fee is for postage, or maybe I'm cheap, but I think it's a rip-off they are charging for something that was initially free. Your idea of offering a pdf copy is a good one though. Hopefully someone from the LCBO is listening...

2013 Jan 16
Soft copies. I was talking about soft copies. PDFs.

Then everyone who wanted a copy could get one, and it would be better for the environment.

2013 Jan 16
Oops! Thanks for the correction. Off to top up my coffee mug...

2013 Jan 16
I do not think that the ATI legistlation applies to recipes and wine reviews. And an ATI request for soft copies of Food and Drink is a waste of resources. It takes time and money (that we as taxpayers foot the bill)for these requests to be processed.

I think offering a PDF version is an excellent idea.

2013 Jan 16
No, you cannot get a copy of Food & Drink by making an FOI request.

While a PDF would be nice, the whole point of the thing is to get people into stores. No better way to do that than by requiring people to physically go in to the store to get one. And while you're there, you might as well buy something, right?

2013 Jan 16
They could give out free scan codes or passwords in store to accomplish.

2013 Jan 16
Why not get in touch with publisher and ask about this?

2013 Jan 16
i doubt they will give soft copies out. They do sell subscriptions online for people who really really want them.

hellolcbo.com

2013 Jan 16
this probably dates me, but I like to look at a magazine in my comfy chair or at the table with a coffee and go through articles and recipes.
I don't get the same vibe from the computer.

clicking on pages, the computer is running slow, oops i picked up a virus

It probably would be nice to have the pdf option, but just like the paper they would leave articles out.

btw, they leave our copies at the door. If I'm not buying anything I can just grab a copy. Makes up for the times I do buy, and no magazine.

2013 Jan 17
... or some crazy fool could scan the pages and create an illegal underground subculture of Food&Drink softies (starting 2013).

Just a thought. Who do I know who has a scanner? Oh, me. Who do I know who has PDF software? Oh, also me. Webspace? Check. Now I just need someone who has a copy of the magazine ...

2013 Jan 17
Soft copies would also help visually impaired folks who use screen readers. Which is the kind of argument that can convince/force the government to do something that is just a good idea anyways.

2013 Jan 17
Considering any ads in the print copy would still be present in a .pdf, i can't see any down side to offering free digital versions of a magazine they give away for free in store. If anything it would prompt wider circulation.

I suppose they could be trying to preserve the income from selling back issues, but how much green could that seriously generate when food and drink recipes, pairings, comments, reviews etc are available, for free, in the millions on line?