Izakaya Night back for New Year's Eve [Events]

2012 Dec 19
Hi all,

I noticed the Niall has posted about this already on Suisha's foodie page, but I thought I'd do one here to make it more official. Yes, we are doing it again for New Year's Eve. We thought it might be a nice way to round of the year. Plus it would could make a great holiday gift for a foodie loved one!
Here's the website again:
www.japaninottawa.com/izakaya/
Thanks for your support last time, and hopefully we'll to see you again!

Liz

2012 Dec 19
Oh and for those who may be out of the loop, I am referring to this past post: Forum - Izakaya ŕ Suisha

2012 Dec 19
Could you provide a bit more info on the schedule please? I'm mainly wondering if it's a "normal" dinner time event and / or a late night dinner event (as those are common on December 31st).

Thanks!

2012 Dec 19
Hi Isabelle,

So the first round of seating times are
5pm, 5:30pm, 6pm, and 6:30pm

then the second round of seating times are
8pm, 8:30pm, 9pm. and 9:30pm

Be prepared to only have the table for 2 hours.
We're trying a schedule that's a little different from last time.

As for pricing, there won't be any mark-up or cover.
The prices will reflect the food that we serve, not that the fact that it's on NYE =)

Liz

2012 Dec 20
Thank you Liz! I was just about to fire off an email about this. Good to have confirmation that prices will be similar to the last menu's.

Speaking of which, do you think it's a good idea to either show a link to the previous menu on your website as information of the type of dishes available (and price ranges), or mention a few of the favourites on that izakaya page? A couple of people I know were hesitant as they had no idea what to expect, and when they saw the menu I brought back, salivated and would have definitely gone, now that they had that information.

Or maybe that's what the link to the previous forum site is for. :)

2012 Dec 22
We are still working on the menu right now, but I can say that this time we are going to try to be a bit more adventurous for Canadian standards, and more home-style for Japanese. There will be a lot more braised and grilled dishes than last since that is what is traditional in Japan during winter. There's already two things that the chef has decided on that look and taste amazing.

1. Nagasaki-style Kakune (braised pork belly). Its done in a sweet soy sauce with other ingredients. Just melts in your mouth
2. Probably our most adventurous one would be Beef tongue marinaded in sake kasu and miso. Very unique. I don't think I've seen anyone in Ottawa use sake kasu.

And of course there will be favourites like edamame, agedashi-tofu, kara-age, takoyaki and sushi.

I hope that helps/sounds enticing! We are always open to suggestions or if you have dietary restrictions to be accommodated for.

And we are gradually trying to move more of our updates for the restaurant to the facebook page. We would really appreciate some likes if you all have a chance =)
www.facebook.com

Liz

2012 Dec 22
Oh and just a note on the pricing structure, we wont be organizing dishes by 5 prices. So, probably each dish will be priced on it's own. We are still figuring out whats best so unfortunately you'll have to bear with us for now!

2012 Dec 22
Liz - only b/c you're open to suggestions, some input from self (vegetarian) and 3 (opposite of vegetarian) friends who plan to attend your NYE event:

- kimpira (salad) of some type - e.g., with burdock or lotus root.
- grilled veggies (or meats) served "robatta" style. (I dream of a grilled japanese green onion i tried on a short trip to Japan - sublime experience for something so simple.)
- hijiki - a type of seaweed salad, maybe not importable into Canada?
- shitake mushrooms in some sort of dish.
- dengaku tofu - not the overly sweet kind often found in Canada.

One of our dining companions pines for the following:

- korokke and suggest it would appeal to the mashed potato crowd! :)
- something/anything that includes shiso leaf - maybe a tuna sashimi?

Finally, an occasional request on OF is "where can i get fresh/real wasabi?" Perhaps something to think about for future izakaya nites?

2012 Dec 23
Thanks! I'll pass those comments on.

We had kinpira last izakaya night, and we will do it again if we can find good quality burdock. Not much luck recently. And yes you are correct. It is illegal to serve hijiki seaweed in Canada. As for shiso, it's unfortunately not the season for it. All of Suisha's shiso comes from the chef's garden, so during the winter we only have a very limited supply. I think there may be a couple things on this menu with it, but if you're a shiso lover, come by in the summer!

When you make your reservation, it would be a huge favour to us if you could mention that there will be a vegetarian at the table. =) Its going to be a hectic night so knowing ahead of time always helps everything run smoothly.

Liz

2012 Dec 23
hi Liz - cheers on your reply: friend will def'y return for the shiso options (good to hear its home-grown, btw). And, for our reservation, no worries, the veg'n has been outed/accounted for. :)

Looking forward to a nice culinary start to the NY!

2012 Dec 24
I have made my reservation with friends which will be independent of this group.

Liz, I'm very much looking forward to the new creations!

2012 Dec 24
Hello Liz
I have made my reservation too!
Sakekasu sounds very good! With beef tongue? I am very excited!
I have been looking for sakekasu in Ottawa. I would like to know where I can buy it. I love kasujiru in cold winter months.
Takoyaki will be awesome too.
Kakune, do you mean kakuni ? Please add boiled egg or quail egg and braise with kakuni! (Please tell chef I want omake no tamago)

Would be nice to have toshikoshi soba in small portion.

Thank you so much for this real izakaya night in Ottawa!

2012 Dec 26
Sounds great like last time but will be out of town.

2012 Dec 26
Just made a reservation. Myself, partner and my 82 year old mother who's not sure she likes Japanese food LOL.

2012 Dec 27
@ Niall, yes I saw your reservation! From what I remember from last time, I'm excited for you to try one of our beautiful sakes that we ordered just for this special occasion.

@ Aisu Kurimu, Thanks for the toshikoshi soba suggestion. It is now on our menu. Can't believe we forgot about it! And yes I meant Kakuni =). I just tried the beef tongue today. It is amazingly tender from the sakekasu. Many of our staff commented on how it's been a long time since they've had it. I hope you wil enjoy it as well. As for our sakekasu, I do believe it's from the chef's stash. I have no idea where you can get it. Maybe better luck in Toronto where they just opened a sake brewery??

2012 Dec 27
Will you have that fantastic coconut green tea dessert?

2012 Dec 28
I hope to be able to see/say hi to Aisu Kurimu, but it's a big restaurant.

Liz: special sakés?? Telltelltell! Please, so I can research and pick a favourite? :) If you want to keep it a surprise, I'll have to research it all on my phone, which takes longer...

2012 Dec 28
Niall and C'est Japon a Suisha, all this talk of sake brings up a burning question. At the Izakaya night early this year, the "Sake sampler" with 3 kinds of sake included one cloudy, milky one that I found very enjoyable. Can you tell me what it was? (It's the one on the right here: ottawafoodies.com)

2012 Dec 28
I too have sampled sake that was the milky type at a function last month, and would love to get some. Any info would be welcome.

2012 Dec 28
It seems a few of us will be there NYE. My party is going early - 6pm. If anyone else from OF will be there around that time, would like to say hi.

2012 Dec 28
@ Little foodista, Not this time. We found a sake that pairs so well with vanilla that we are doing a sake affogato instead. Of course we will still have daifuku mochi.

@ Niall, We've bee having a hard time securing sakes that we think are special, so we have a limited number on several sakes. We were able to get only two bottles of Nanbu Bijin Junmai Ginjo. Very well known in Japan! And then only two cases on Kikusui nigori sake, which we have exclusive to us. You had Kikusui's Junmai Ginjo last time, but that has since been sold out. We also have only 8 bottles of a very nice daiginjo, which you know has the highest polish rate. Not sure if you are a Japanese scotch fan, but we are trying out a Nikka Scotch Whisky. (giving away too many secrets here...)

@ Fresh Foodie, that would be the Shochikubai Nigori. As I have told Niall, our unfiltered sake this time will be a Kukisui Nigori instead, which I personally like better (It's much harder to find too!) Have you made a reservation? because I don't think I've seen it!

Liz

2012 Dec 28
P.S. I will be working as bartender instead of server that night so feel free to visit me if you have any questions or need recommendations.

Liz

2012 Dec 28
Oh I will have Nikka whisky without ice!
Do you have sake from Toronto? Izumi is a sake brewery in Toronto.
ontariosake.com/
Some of their sake is available at LCBO...they have nigori sake ,but they sell them in store only.

2012 Dec 30
I highly recommend pretty much everything from Izumi. If anyone from the store was making a stopover in Toronto... well, if it was Pearson, it's nigh-impossible to make to the Distillery district and back in less then 3 hours, but oh, the nice things they have... and yes, their nigori is quite exceptional - unpasteurized for that extra smoothness. Aisu, I have been trying to spread the word about Izumi at a few places here, with little success. Getting the material fresh from the store is the biggest problem as it has to be kept refrigerated as much as possible being mostly unpasteurized (though I've flown back reasonably easily, and even driven back with a cooler to no detriment).

Liz, the Nanbu Bijin Ginjo looks very interesting, semi-sweet - could go interestingly with a number of dishes. I will definitely get a bottle of the daiginjo, that's a given - I trust your judgment. And will want to try Japanese whisky! Never had any, heard lots of things about them. I will make sure to pass by and say hi! Thank you for the sneak peek!

2012 Dec 31
We won't have anything fro Izumi tonight. But we are definitely looking into adding nama-sake to the menu.

@ Niall, Tough choice. Nanbu Bijin is very famous and was tough to get our hands on. We only have two bottles at the restaurant, and no one in at least Ottawa carries it. While the daiginjo is made with the Omachi Bizen rice which is the parent of Yamada Nishiki rice, which is currently the "king of sake rice". Omachi Bizen is much more rare than Yamada because it is a more ancient grain. Though I have seen this at the LCBO so not as elusive as the Nanbu.......

Open invitation to everyone to come by the bar (just a few steps from the reception). I can show you the bottles and full spiel on the sakes we have tonight.

And we are fully reserved tonight. Happy New Year everyone!

2012 Dec 31
Wow, I really hope that al the folks going to this take pictures of the food & drinks! Sounds like it will be amazing!

2012 Dec 31
Yes, lots of photos please for we "shut-ins".

2012 Dec 31
I knew this place would be very busy tonight, so I reserved my table at early evening, and I am so glad I did.
Food came to the table very quickly but after 7:00 P.M. the restro was full and they were really busy.

Food all over was good,Chef uses salt very carefully.
The only one thing I didn't like so much was the sushi rice.
Too mushy and glue like texture. What happened?

Me and my family enjoyed so much.
Thank you very much.

I took pictures and made a file.
Some food I forgot to take picture.
sdrv.ms/WheCG7

Niall: Sorry I overlooked your earlier comment! I was here at 5:30.
I hope I will meet you on the next Izakaya event :)

2013 Jan 1
Many thanks from my family to Suisha Gardens. It brought back so many fond childhood memories of our family New Year's celebrations. In particular, somewhere in the many dishes we had tonight there were tastes that I have not experienced in so many years.
Ending 2012 on an up beat. And plenty of good luck dishes to get 2013 off to a good start!

2013 Jan 1
We enjoyed Izakaya last night too. By fortunate coincidence we were seated next to Niall and got to say hello. Would like to have met Aisu as well but sadly did not.

Pictured is the Perfect Snow sake that we enjoyed so much! It had a bit of sweetness that really offset the spicier dishes nicely, especially complementing the pickled ginger.

2013 Jan 1
Aisu's photos of the food at the link above are much better than mine, so I will only post the fish cakes here. Our favorite dishes of the night were the Agedashi Dofu, Kanpachi Nigiri, gyu beef tongue and the kakuni braised pork belly. I also really liked the ratio of red bean to Mochi in the Daifuku mochi. I normally find that there is too much mochi and not enough red bean, but the balance on this one was reversed, and it was coated with nicely toasted sesame seeds. A perfect way to end this special meal.

2013 Jan 1
i came w/ a later booking, we were there until last call. Boisterous, inexpensive (by NYE standards), varied and delicious ... kudos to Suisha, it was a blast. Highlights:

- nice sake selection. Liz, great work on your explanations! Our table quaffed several bottles + a several follow-up sampler flights. Everyone had their prefs (choice is good!) w/ the overall group favs leaning toward the Nambu Bijin Junmai Ginjo (720ml) and the Hakkaisan Junmai (320ml). Even the sake neophyte at our table was impressed w/ how nuanced these were. (Sadly, i was DD for the eve, so i restrained myself to thimble size portions ... sniff.)

- food-wise, think we ordered everything in Aisu's photos & more. Group favs inc. the pork belly, grilled salmon, the chicken karaage and takoyaki. My personal underdog fav was the slow braised taro & daikon combo (Nimono): simple presentation, modest ingredients ... sooo tasty with a slather of mustard. Also had the "tofu steak" (Atsu-age - the one salvageable photo i took) - slightly charred bottom and a ginger/soy marinade, it was quite nice. The Bean Curd pockets (shiso!, soba noodles) were yet another hit at the table. And, it seemed the rice issue had been corrected, at least on the nigiri's ordered at our table.

- service - amiable and hustling. At one point, I began to think several of our orders had been missed, but this simply reflected different preparation times. The restaurant did a good job in managing the pace w/ the 5-dish per order limit. We also went off-menu a couple times - our server accommodated deftly. Likewise, the owner was an ever-present figure, greeting, patiently helping servers-in-training (talk about trial by fire ... nye + izakaya!), bidding guests farewells out the door, etc. The kitchen chef also made an entrance toward the end of the evening, humble and politely making his way around tables to ensure everyone enjoyed their meals and to extend NY greetings - nice touch. :)

Nice to see a restaurant staffed by Japanese chefs branching out like this. Nothing was left uneaten and the Japanese expat @ our table shared the same overall sentiments Dawgjin speaks of.

@BB, I noticed a small group leaving, led by a young-looking elder woman. Presume it was your group ... hope your mother enjoyed?

2013 Jan 1
itchy feet, here we are between courses. Mom is 82 so if she is the one you described as young looking she'll be very flattered :) and sorry we missed you too! Ran into 2 other friends on the way in as we were leaving, so it appears that this dinner was the place to be last night for my foodie friends.

2013 Jan 1
Can I possibly add to this? Fantastic night, fantastic food. Between four of us, we had 12 orders plus dessert, a bottle of cold saké (Kikusui Nigori), warm saké (which, as someone in my group pointed out, is the Hakutsuru Junmai, not the regular lower-quality Hakutsuru), I had to try the Nikka whisky, and Takara umeshu all around. Let's just say I was glad I only had to walk a few blocks home. (there awaited Moniack mead and a Bleu du québec to sample-share.)

Excellent service, nice to see Liz, and blubarry!

Highlights were getting everyone to foodgasm on the Aburi salmon nigiri (I was the 6:30 seating and the rice seemed fine), and we all were delighted with the kanpachi as well - an almost al dente texture to the fish. The Gyu tongue and Doteyaki were quickly decided we had to try, and exceeded expectations. Kakuni was also very worth it.

This ended up nearly double the bill than my first time, but I both sampled far more dishes, and drank far more, so it makes sense, and was still entirely worth it for such a superb meal in an excellent location. Even with the restaurant full (we were seated upstairs this time, at the back corner), we never felt it was noisy or overbearing. A perfect balance, as befits a Japanese restaurant of this calibre.

2013 Jan 3
It was a very enjoyable evening. I was by myself, but I guess I'm a bit strange, I actually like an evening spent by myself in a good restaurant... very relaxing, and lets me fully appreciate the food. And that food certainly deserved attention, everything I tried was delicious. So I decided to be totally unreasonable and try more, and more... Well, I finished everything I ordered, but I was glad I had not eaten that day, and I certainly wasn't hungry before late evening the following day ;-p

The takoyaki stands out in my memory. Really not what I expected from the description. Soft, creamy, very tasty. The dancing fish flakes were almost hypnotic... and added a nice smokyness.

I had to be reasonable on the drinks, having to drive back home, so only went for the sake sampler and switched to tea after. The unfiltered sake was still my favorite. Too bad few varieties are available in stores here.

This meal certainly convinced me that I should try to cook more japanese food.
Now, I have a beef tongue in the freezer, and some miso paste in the fridge. If I can get a result even close to the gyu tongue dish, I'll be very happy...

2013 Jan 4
I'd just like to thank everyone for coming! What a crazy night. I really wish I had more time to chat but working the bar was so busy.

@itchyfeet, Sorry your group had to wait so long for a table! I hope the overall experience was well worth it. I'm so glad you enjoyed the Nanbu Bijin. The second bottle sold almost immediately after you took the first.

I think this Izakaya was so good for Suisha. Yama-san (head chef) was so happy at the end of the evening. He was exhausted but just astounded at how many people enjoyed the more traditional/adventurous dishes that he had been a little worried about putting on the menu. He put a lot of work into each dish. Even something as simple as Nimono. The daikon is cooked in a shittake and kombu broth made over a slow simmer for 3 days. By the end we had sold out of things like doteyaki, beef tongue, takoyaki, and monkfish foie gras. I hope we can do these events more often or even incorporate them into our regular menu!

Liz

2013 Jan 4
Liz: Yes, Nimono was great, it was my favourite. We also loved agedashi tofu so much, we ordered twice. Our server was great too.
Next Izakaya event, I would like to have Yaki-onigiri! Tai chazuke to finish the meal?
Please say hello to Chef Yama-san. I don't know if he remember me, but I had an opportunity to meet him at a retirement party at Chinese restaurant last year.

2013 Jan 4
Oh yes, did I forget the takoyaki? The biggest hit at our table, round eyes of surprise, and then just savoured. Didn't want it to end. Never had it before, any other will have to work hard to compare.

Liz, if ever some of these dishes are incorporated in the menu, let us know! You already have two kinds of natto on the appetizer list, I'm sure a couple more fully-traditional dishes could be slipped in. We'll help spread the word. :)