Taste of Wellington Sat Sept 15, 2012 [General]

2012 Jul 23
www.wellingtonwest.ca

Wellington West Village will be a bustle of activity on Sept 15th, the first day of our tour, with their third annual ‘Taste of Wellington’. This day-long street festival offers tasty free samples of food, sidewalk sales, kids activities and of course, our tour. Many of our artist are in the Wellington West area. Come join the fun.

www.wellingtonwest.ca

If there is enough interest, maybe we can try to get up a mini food crawl in addition to the taste of Wellington.

2012 Jul 24
Dang, I'll be camping at Algonquin. I suspect I won't miss it too much :-)

2012 Jul 24
You mean, Taste of Hintonburg? ;) The samples are always tasty and meeting the restaurant owners and chefs is a fun experience.

2012 Jul 24
Yes It is also called Taste of Wellington and Hintonburg.. They don't have this years program up yet but I saw last years and they have samples and entertainment.

2012 Jul 24
Yeah, it's not Taste of Wellington Village. It's Taste of Wellington, which, if memory serves me right, is the main street that extends pretty much all the way through Hintonburg. ;) It's everyone's party, not just "Wellington Village's".. ;)

2012 Aug 28
More information is posted..

links
wellingtonwest.ca/?p=182
wellingtonwest.ca

Some great lineups in terms of restaurants

Good news everyone! Your favourite neighbourhood event is back. Taste of Wellington West will be taking place Saturday, September 15, 2012, from 11 am to 5 pm.

We want to share all of the day’s details with you, but we’re still working out some of the kinks with our brand spankin’ new website. So we’re giving you the run down here, on our blog. You can also download a PDF version of our program by clicking here: Taste of Wellington West 2012 Program

During Taste of Wellington West, all our great restaurants, shops, and services will be showing off all day, offering demos and tasty treats, and taking part in a massive, street-long sidewalk sales.

We’ve also got some great entertainment lined up, starting off with popular kids’ band Hey Buster! at 11 am in the Elmdale/Hintonburger parking lot. Throughout the day, bands including Reverb Syndicate, Crown Vic, Still Dangerous, Tall Trees, and The Fenton Brothers Band (featuring Uncle Bob from FabGear 64!) will be playing, alongside a great group of street performers. There will also be two Pop-Up Playgrounds (in the lots at Rosemount and Wellington St W, and Mayfair and Wellington St W), offering a great place to bring your little ones to play.

Over 80 area businesses are participating in the day’s event. You can see a full list of them in the event’s program. As a special note, there are two businesses that have just confirmed their participation. Welcome to Petit Bill’s Bistro and ListenUP Canada!

Schedule du Jour

11 am: Hey Buster! Pop-Up Playgrounds and Sidewalk Sales open
1:30 pm: Food Sampling (while supplies last)
5:00 pm: sidewalk sales and Pop-Up Playgrounds close
5:00 pm – 7:00 pm: after party featuring the Bill Jupp Sextet at The Elmdale House Tavern

Activity and Events Areas

Irving Stage (1000 Wellington St W) musical acts at 12 pm, 2 pm and 4 pm

Hintonburger/Elmdale Stage (1096 Wellington St W) musical acts at 11 pm, 1 pm and 3 pm

Art & Soul Sidewalk Stage (1207 Wellington St W) acoustic musical acts

BMO/Huron Stage (1247 Wellington St W) entertainment

Rosemount Pop-Up Playground (1134 Wellington St W)

Mayfair Pop-Up Playground (1380 Wellington St W)

Cube Gallery’s Rooftop Patio (1285 Wellington St W) presents Tall Trees at 12pm (Click here for more details.)

2012 Sep 14
Was around Wellington after my dentist appointment at Holland Cross.

If the weather holds up tomorrow, it should be a fun day...

2012 Sep 15
Was at taste of wellington and parked near wellington gastropub. got one of the white chocalate cashew cookie ice cream sandwiche.

2012 Sep 15
Here is a picture of the ice cream sandwiche ad it was excellent

2012 Sep 15
Closeup on the cookie part. Apparently they ran out in something like 18 or 20 some minutes.

2012 Sep 16
Other items sampled that were good:

1. creamy seafood chowder from Petit Bill's bistro
2. Pumpkin spice frozen custard from Merry Dairy
3. Warm donut holes with sugar at Suzy Q
4. Beef Skewer with mushroom sauce from AlphaSoul Cafe
5. Pulled Pork shepards pie from Wellington Diner
6. Spicy Thai slaw from Simply Raw Express
6. Major Craig cranberry chutney

Since I started on one end of the fest, by the time the half way point was reached many ran out of food..

In this respect I found the Tribeca food festival I went to many years ago much better. The tasting plates were reasonably priced and the restaurants prepared enough food for the crowd since they don't loose money.

Things purchased that were good
1. Amazon Acai Juice 93%
2. Suzy Q donuts (but I preferred the warm donut holes even though I liked the maple bacon and the pina colada donuts lol)
3. creamy sweet potato soup from Raw Express
4. some veggies from producers at the Parkdale market
5. drink and maple bacon scallop at Petit Bill Bistro.

2012 Sep 17
It certainly was a beautiful Saturday afternoon!

I still wish it were more along the lines of West Fest; close the streets, everyone could open there own Patio, contests, more things for the little ones, more buskers, more live entertainment; just more of a party.

In my opinion the BIA does a terrible job of promoting the event, I can't tell how many people had no idea what was going on. There's nothing on the posters (which weren't received until 12 days before the event) about the times for food samples (1:30-3:30) or any mention of the charity involved.

Instead of line ups of people finding out that a particular place has run out I would prefer to see something like a themed 'cook off' with local ingredients.
We could sell tickets & those proceeds could go to a designated charity & with the talent that we have in the neighborhood wouldn't that be worth lining up for?

Terry