Help! Hate fish, need a good salmon recipe! [Cooking]

2012 Jul 10
Ok, so I'm 26, and I haven't tasted fish since I was about 15... Hated it then, haven't bothered to try it since...

Im looking for an excellent salmon recipe for the smoker... looking in the maple range in the interest of making something I can eat... Im going to buy a reasonable size piece, for maybe 4 people... Any ideas from a few fish lovers?

2012 Jul 10
Hey, I'll provide a simple plank recipe (sorry I dont have a smoker recipe)

Soak Cedar plank in water
Mix Melted butter, Maple Syrup, Lemon juice. (I dont usually measure, just ususally mix to taste :P)
Grill salmon on cedar plank basting FREQUENTLY until cooked. (do not flip salmon)

Serve with some fresh Dill on top.

Sounds too easy - but a few tastebuds/minds have been blown away by this in the past.

2012 Jul 10
There are thousands of smoking salmon recipe guides online. Usually just a wet brine with whatever you like, then into the smoker after drying. Use a lighter wood like apple.

I like to serve it (after smoking) on pasta with butter, capers and some green and red onion, s&p to taste.

2012 Jul 10
Im not exactly looking for a smoked salmon final product either though, im looking to cook it in the smoker with maple smoke and maple syrup... i've heard good things from family out east, but they wont share a recipe... (some family lol) i think i may just have to giv'er a go and try something out... if i can make it edible for me, i'll let you know what i did to it.... im making that my next saturday project.... figureing out the brine for friday so it can go in on sat.... any tips would be very appreciated... haven't even looked up internal temp for done fish yet either, so im flying blind right now... lazy, a bit, but with as much homework as i've got... thx guys!

2012 Jul 10
Whatever you do, make sure you do not overcook it. Overcooked fish tastes VILE!

2012 Jul 12
Decided to try the bradley recipe for maple smoked salmon... Here's hoping it's good... Trying that out on this coming Sunday

2012 Jul 13
Meant to add this recipe for Pistachio-Crusted Salmon from Chateleine. food.chatelaine.com

It has maple syrup, curry and dijon. Great sweet but not too sweet combo with nice flavourful spice combination.

In the winter we normally bake it in the over. I don't have any experience with smokers and smoking.

I'm going to try to BBQ it tonight on a cedar plank (wish me luck).

Requires only minutes of prep time and recipe serves 6.

Pistachio-Crusted Salmon

Ingredients
6 skinless salmon fillets
Pinches of salt and ground pepper
1/4 cup (50 mL) maple syrup
1 tsp (5 mL) each curry powder and Dijon mustard
1/2 cup (125 mL) shelled pistachios

1.Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with oil. Place fillets on foil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a bowl, stir maple syrup with curry powder and Dijon. Coarsely chop pistachios. Spoon half of maple mixture over fillets, then sprinkle with pistachios. Spoon remaining maple mixture over nuts.

2.Bake in centre of preheated oven until a knife tip inserted in thickest part of fish comes out warm, 14 to 16 min. Excellent with steamed baby bok choy and basmati rice.

Tastes good served cold as well.

2012 Jul 14
Lime and sweet chili salmon parceLs (good grilled as well)

www.taste.com.au

If grilled, 6 min for abou 1 inch thickness in oven in broil mode.

2012 Jul 17
Simple recipe for my wife and I.

Heat BBQ to medium heat (350-400) and place salmon skin-side down in a ceramic dish. Ceramic is key, as it'll stop the fish from burning

Pour 1/2cup of maple syrup and a teaspoon of chilli flakes (or diced fresh chillis, if you have them)
*add a tablespoon or two of syrup as the fish keeps cooking

When fish begins to flake, cooked medium-rare, pull from heat and allow to rest for 2-3min and serve.

Super-simple.

(I'm attempting applewood smoked salmon this weekend, will report back on how tasty I can make home-smoked salmon)

2012 Jul 19
Made some apple smoked high heat salmon last night. Simple seasoning of SnP and then cooked indirect to 130, then over the fire on tin foil with grapeseed oil to crisp the skin. Served with lemon dill sauce. My wife HATES fish and she cleaned her plate. IMO the apple smoke imparts such a nice flavour to the salmon.

2012 Jul 26
Hi Nukem, I've been meaning to post this for a while. It's not a smoker recipe (never tried smoking myself) but it's a great BBQ/stovetop recipe from Chatelaine magazine years ago. Really delicious and great for entertaining. I often just do it in a pan or, for larger groups, bake it in the oven.

Coconut-basil barbecued salmon

The secret to this tempting salmon recipe is the sauce -- a smooth, flavourful and slightly fiery one made with coconut milk. After marinating the fish, just boil down the liquid.

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk, light or regular
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice, about 1 lime
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 to 2 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce
6 salmon steaks or fillets, each about 6 to 8 oz (180 to 250 g)
2 green onions
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil

Directions
1. In a bowl or measuring cup, stir coconut milk with lime juice, brown sugar and chili-garlic sauce. Place salmon in a large plastic bag. Pour in marinade. Push fish down into marinade. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Seal tightly with an elastic band as close to fish as possible. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to half a day.
2. Lightly oil grill. Heat barbecue to medium-high. Place salmon on grill. Reserve remaining marinade. Grill salmon with lid closed until a knife tip inserted in centre of fish comes out warm, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn halfway through.
3. Meanwhile, pour reserved marinade into a large frying pan set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Stir often, uncovered, until thickened, 7 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice onions diagonally. Remove pan from heat and stir in basil and half of onions. Pour a little sauce in centre of each dinner plate. Place salmon in centre and spoon remaining sauce overtop. Sprinkle each serving of salmon with remaining onions.

2012 Jul 26
Try what I did once ... to surprise and impress my girlfriend,

Steam the salmon on your car engine on the way to a picnic.

(Many recipes exist for steaming salmon).

Open the salmon in front of your guest(s) and place on top of already prepared salad. Add Nice bread and wine.

The 'dessert' will follow ... it certainly did for me !