Where to buy different flours? [General]

2012 Jun 26
Hi all,

I am moving to Ottawa in the fall and I'm wondering if there's a grocer/shop where I can buy flours like teff, amaranth, Kamut, spelt, buckwheat, millet, etc.

In Edmonton, we have Planet Organic, and they sell a whole range of flours in a variety of bag sizes. Is there anything similar in Ottawa that's not solely online? I've gotten quite used to using most of them, and I'm wondering if I should stock up.

Thanks!

2012 Jun 26
The Herb & Spice carries most (if not all) of these. I buy a lot of mine directly from mountainpath.com -- though they don't carry all of these. Mountain Path is a local company and supplies many of the organics stores in the city. I find the pricing is much better buying from them directly.

2012 Jun 26
If you prefer to shop in person you can try some of the ethnic grocery stores. It might involve running around abit. I could recommend Mid-East Food Centre in the east end, Nasa Food Centre (Indian grocer in Chinatown), Al-Kalaa Mini Market in the west end, or even Al Jazeerah in Hintonburg. There is also a middle eastern grocery store in South Keys in the same mall as Produce Depot that might have the flours you are looking for. I'm hoping someone can help me remember the name of it-;)

2012 Jun 26
I think Pasta lover is talking about Sultan Supermarket in the Towngate Shopping Mall in South Keys.

2012 Jun 26
**The Egg Princess" Yes that's the place!

rafjel The store I am referring to is in the south end of the city. As I mentioned it is in a mall which also houses Produce Depot which sells mostly fruits and veggies and worth a visit if you are ever in the neighbourhood. Happy shopping!

2012 Jun 26
Thanks a lot, everyone! This is all very helpful. I look forward to learning a lot more in the coming weeks...

2012 Jun 26
I buy spelt and buckwheat flour from Castor River Farm at the Brewer Park farmers' market on Sundays. He brings tubs of grain and grinds it to order. He also has oats, wheat and rye and possibly amaranth too. castorriverfarm.ca/

2012 Jun 26
Bulk Barn is also a good choice for a lot of different flours. I don't know if they have all of those, but I know they definitely have teff, spelt and buckwheat.

There are a few locations: www.bulkbarn.ca

2012 Jun 26
Rafjel - Ottawa is a fairly large city, along the same size of Edmonton if not larger. We have a number of "health food" stores like the Herb and Spice mentioned above. Others include: Market Organics, Kardish Bulk Food & Nutrition Centres, Rainbow Natural Foods, Natural Food Pantry. I'm sure there's lots more, depends what end of the city you're in, etc. You'll develop your favourites once you arrive here and browse their shelves, compare quality and prices, etc.

2012 Jun 26
Rainbow Natural Foods definitely has what your looking for .... and more.

I've never seen so many Birkenstock wearing chicks with underarm hair, in one place before.

The Captain does have a soft spot for a peasant skirt !