What am I ... [General]

2012 May 30
... chopped liver?

The Dragonlady has requested me to ask y'all to recommend to me the best chopped liver in town. Dunn's is okay, Kettlemans is ghastly. I think they add sugar to it or something.

2012 May 30
At my house on Jewish holidays.
Next holiday is Rosh Hashana, will send you an invite when the time comes.
Just remind me as I am getting forgetful in my senior years!!

2012 May 31
Well, I couldn't say if it's the best one, as it's the only one I've ever had, but Chenoy's in Gatineau has it. Every once in a while, we get the take-out package, which includes a pound of smoked meat, a whole rye bread and a few more things, including a large container of chopped liver. Seems ok to me, for liver.

(I have some Jewish relatives, but I've never seen chopped liver on the table when I get invited... I'm guessing it would mean no dairy products on the table though, so that may be why.)

2012 May 31
Homemade is always best, but I also like the one at Saslove's on Wellington.

2012 May 31
Chenoy's was my favorite for chopped liver growing up. It had a sweetness from the fried onions that made it less "livery".

2012 May 31
Do you have pictures of this stuff? Or a description of what you are looking for?

I guess it is not the same as liverwurst?

2012 May 31
zymurgist Chopped liver is pretty close in texture to liverwurst although chopped liver seems to have a slightly coarser ground. Chopped liver is made with chicken livers and has a slightly more pronounced taste IMO. The picture on the left is what it looks like.

2012 May 31
I love the stuff and like to have it around for breakfast as much as possible. I make it myself (chicken fat, caramelized onions, eggs, thyme, sherry, chicken livers) but the best commercial version I have found is at Ottawa Bagelshop.

Agree with Rizak that Kettleman's version is really sweet.

2012 May 31

My mother's!

(Although I am ironically not a fan of the stuff, but all my friends who do eat it, as well as my parents' friends, appreciate it when she makes the chopped liver for dinner parties)

2012 May 31
I go with Chenoy's or Market Square Loblaws kosher section.
Kettleman's i find inconsistent... sometimes it was awesome and others too sweet and others just bleh.

2012 May 31
You might want to call ahead and ask Chenoy's in Gatineau if they haven't chopped liver available. I didn't, they didn't.

2012 Jun 1
I thought that the traditional recipe was chicken livers, chicken fat, salt, pepper and some kind of secret Jewish ingredient. Maybe guilt. I don't know. Is sherry a regular ingredient? I might think it's the sherry that makes it taste sweet. We're looking for something basic, but awesome. Nothing special added. Just that good old liver taste.

Okay, maybe not 'old'.

Remember Kardish's? That.

2012 Jun 1
You could always just give it up and go to Montreal. :)

2012 Jun 1
Ok Rizak, here is my recipe.
Firstly you need to render down some chicken fat. I keep the fat from the whole chickens I roast. Freeze them in a container and render down when ,you have a fair amount. Add a piece of onion when rendering to give it a nice flavour. The Yiddish term for this is smaltz.
keep in a glass at in the fridge.
Sauté cleaned chicken liver in oil with 1/2 an onion till cooked through. Place in processir with te rest of the onion, couple of teaspoons of smatchz, 1 hard boiled egg, salt and pepper and process till just chopped.
Place in a bowl and stir in a little hit water if it's to thick. Check the seasoning .
Place Saran wrap directly on top of the liver and chill.
We serve with grated boiled egg on top and nice and crsp fried onions.
Yummy on toast or crackers.
As you can see its not a slimming meal but great on special occasions.
If the chicken fat turns you off, butter, oil or margarine will do. But the taste is never the same.!!