Wild turkey, not so wild... [Cooking]

2012 Apr 27
I heard last night, just a few hours after I saw this fellow sauntering across my front lawn, that wild turkey season was open. Maybe that's why he's been hanging around on his own around here this week (they're usually seen in "flocks," gaggles or whatever groups are called around here); this is the second time I've seen him wander past the mailbox and across the lawn - he's getting awfully close to my firepit in the background - wonder how they are to roast and eat?

2012 Apr 27
I hear the wild ones are pretty tough, also it isn't legal to discharge a firearm within the limits of the city!

2012 Apr 27
I think you are better off buying a young day old or two and raise them on grain for a nice flavor as they wander the yard by day. I have found them to be very social creatures and will spend the day with me following me in the yard.

Oh and it is perfectly legal to discharge firearms within the city of Ottawa. Remember 90% area of the city is rural property!

2012 Apr 28
Actually Patricia there are areas within city limits you can discharge a shotgun during hunting season.

2012 Apr 28
Wild Turkey ....deep fry those babies !!!

2012 Apr 28
I usually bag my limit both spring and fall every year. They taste great! All I can say is other than the breasts I have not found much use for the rest of the bird. The drumsticks have way too much sinew. Get in touch with your hunting heritage and go out and bag a couple. They have to be one of the hardest animals to call in I've hunted for yet.

2012 Apr 29
We always see wild turkeys wander thru our farm on Thanksgiving. It's kinda funny.

I agree with smoker guy, the wild turkeys are pretty tough, as they are hardly spring chickens.

Most folks we know who hunt them take the breast out, and give the rest to their dogs. I'd be inclined to keep some for making turkey stock though. We've always slow-cooked the breast, and it's just packed with flavour.