Mustard Pickle [General]

2012 Apr 3
Hello, I am looking to pick up some mustard pickle for the Easter weekend. I know it can go by different names so I've included a picture as a general guide. For myself it is the perfect compliment to a ham dinner and I find a ham dinner without to be lacking.

Typically it's something that can be bought at a farmers market but since I'm heading out of town on Friday that's probably not an option. I come from the Maritimes where it seems to be more readily available there and more foreign in Ontario(the in-laws definitely weren't familiar).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2012 Apr 3
You can buy it commercially at any grocery store. Habitant makes it. Their's is chunks of cucumber, cauliflower and pearl onions in a sweet mustard sauce. I grew up eating this with a down east boiled corn beef and cabbage dinner.

2012 Apr 3
I need to get rid of some - PM me and I'll give you some of my 2009 batch if you can come by near the Parkdale Market to pick it up. It is still fine - I made way too much in 2009 and again in 2010 and need to start giving some away.

EDIT : Forum - Mustard PIckles

2012 Apr 3
It's known in the UK as piccalilli. It's one of those things that I've tried so hard to like, but I just can't get on with it. You can buy it in pretty much every supermarket in England, although that's of approximately zero help to you.

2012 Apr 3
Goes great with ham, baked beans, and meat pie!

2012 Apr 3
Actually, the Loblaws website says that it sells piccalilli under the PC Black Label brand, which is usually pretty good.

www.pc.ca

2012 Apr 3
I'm with Zym. My mother loads me down with the stuff (and dill beans and pickles and relishes of all sorts) every summer and we have to give it all away. Well, most of it. The Million Dollar Relish is mine.

2012 Apr 5
The Grobe - looks like you found the package I left for you on the front step - let me know what you think. I was not very happy with the sauce that year as it did not thicken very well. Too bad I could not find my 2010 batch afterall :-(