Where to get good Mango [General]

2012 Feb 13
So after traveling to Asia for a few months recently, i am sadly missing the taste of the amazing Mangos i had in the Philippines and other places. The buttery taste and texture i got from the yellowy fleshed mangos makes me never want to eat one of the terrible supermarket mangos here.

Doing some research, i came across this article about people buying caseloads of Indian Mangos www2.macleans.ca . I need to find something like this, the dried mangos i love simply aren't cutting it.

Does anyone have an in with somewhere or someone who imports good mangos. I'm willing to buy a caseload at any point needed. I believe the season starts in a few months. Help me.

2012 Feb 13
Are you looking for ataulfo mangos? I used to pick them up at Food Basics actually, or Produce Depot. I agree with you, after eating these mangos I will never eat a "regular" mango again.

2012 Feb 13
Slow you should look for and try the Ataulfo mango that FoodMonge speaks of - it is far, far superior to the Kent usually seen, and the sometimes available Haden mangoes. The Ataulfo is green but turns golden yellow when ripe, smooth, virtually fiberless, buttery soft and slippery, with excellent flavour. Sometimes Farm Boy has them too, also Independent. Sadly, the mangoes my wife bought last week at Food Basics looked really good but were blackened on the inside and there is no way to tell that without cutting into them. Our local Food Basics does not yet know how to handle the Ataulfo. Produce Depot is better and odds of good mangoes are higher there but still you get the occasional blackened one. Come June/July the quality improves significantly imo.

2012 Feb 13
I don't know what i am looking for. I'd love to try the Alphonso that they speak of in the article, but will go hunting for Ataulfos for sure. While i was in the Philippines I would pick up bags of them at random places and they were always amazing. The Mandarin Oriental hotel would also make me frech toast with chopped mango for breakfast daily. No idea what varieties other than the yellow skin and buttery texture.

2012 Feb 13
Sounds like Ataulfo for sure. As mentioned above, they do get much tastier (and more available!) closer to the summer months

2012 Feb 17
I'm with Foodmonger on this one: my wife and I usually wait until closer to summer to start seeking these mangoes out.

You can find Ataulfo mangoes right now in Farm Boy, but I don't know if they're any good at this point. Even a bad mango is pretty good, but they're nothing like ones that are really ripe and in-season.

When Ataulfo season comes around, we hit up all the grocery stores in Chinatown looking for "that perfect case" (or something close to it). And then we gorge ourselves on perfect mangoes for a month or two.

Wow, just thinking about how they taste makes me swoon. Hurry up spring!

2012 Feb 17
Freshco has those Ataulfo mangoes on sale - a 2kg case for $5.99. Not sure what the quality is like though.

2012 Feb 17
Awesome, I'll drop by freshco after work.

2012 Feb 17
Ataulfo mangoes I'm eating from Farm Boy right now are pretty delicious. We did have some issues with them a few weeks ago.

2012 Feb 18
T&T sometimes has cases on sale. and if you want to try different varieties, i i think they have a couple.