Best Sports Bar in Downtown/Urban area? [General]

2012 Feb 8
Just generally looking for a place that has a great beer list, decent food, and lots and lots of TV's to watch sports.

Suggestions?

Would also love to find a similar venue to watch Premier league soccer early Saturday and Sunday Mornings.

2012 Feb 8
www.georgetownpub.ca/

I haven't tried much of the food there, but it's a pretty good atmosphere for soccer and sports in general and has a pretty large beer selection.

2012 Feb 8
For watching premiership I'd suggest Lieut's Pump on Elgin, it's always on during weekend mornings. However, the Upper Canada Dark in a frozen glass at McClaren's is pretty delicious. James St. is always accommodating to all types of sports fans and has a good atmosphere for big games.

2012 Feb 8
I'm not a sports fan but the Wood on Wellington has lots of nice big screens and good bar grub

2012 Feb 8
My favourite sports bar in Ottawa is St Louis on Elgin, but the food is fairly typical bar food and I don't think the beer list is that extensive - I love the Mill St beers so it's fine with me.

The best food/sports combo in Ottawa is almost certainly the Prescott on Preston Street. The Lieutenant's Pump does pretty good food, but the TVs are fairly limited.

2012 Feb 8
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was also looking for a good sport bar in town where I can watch Sens games

2012 Feb 8
I like the Prescott.

2012 Feb 9
Good suggestions overall, cnosidering I lvie at Elgin and Gladstone I'm a little ashamed I never thought of the Pump for Premiership soccer, their TV placement is less than ideal but in the moroning it shouldn't be too packed..

There's an ulterior motive to this thread but I need to wait a few more days before I say anything...Something's coming to Ottawa...

2012 Feb 9
Hmm. You've not been to the Pump for breakfast before, have you?

You'd need to get there early to be sure of a table well placed for a TV. They're regularly queueing out of the door in the morning, especially Sundays.

2012 Feb 9
EnglishFood - is this the news about the huge new place going into the Byward Market?

2012 Feb 10
For watching soccer in the mornings, the Georgetown is your best bet.

I would also like to single out Gracie O'Malleys East for being a 100% supporter of the Canadian Mens National Team. All CMNT games are there on the big screen (unlike at the Georgetown) with drink specials and a big crowd of soccer fans.

And yes, I am shilling for them, but only because I appreciate the effort they make for the CMNT

2012 Feb 10
I don't know about the food, although it couldn't be any worse than the stuff they serve at MacLarens, but the Sir John A on Elgin has as good a beer selection as you'll find on Elgin and a decent number of TV's.

2012 Mar 1
The Sir John A was my regular late-night spot when I was living downtown. Great craft/import beer selection and the pub fare is quite decent. It's pretty quiet in the winter, and I've had more than a handful of business lunches there with prospective clients and partners. The TVs are small and in the corners, and I don't know if they pipe the TV sound over the speakers. I don't think I would recommend this place for sports, really.

MacLaren's also has a respectable beer assortment, and I find their apps quite nice (real bruschetta!), but they are so flippin' expensive. Huge TVs though, as you've surely seen through the windows. If you get in early enough to score a table, they will tune it to any sports game of your choosing.

As others have mentioned, The Georgetown is really your go-to place for soccer. It's your typical dirty student bar and I think the least offensive thing on-tap is Moosehead, but they have cheap pitchers, and if you're going in early enough, you probably won't run into the falling-over-drunk crowd.

St Louis was my sunday afternoon home for a long time. Sit at the bar and you have 4-5 TVs in your field of vision, but I only ever went there for NFL football. They do have Tankhouse, Moosehead and I believe Guinness on-tap, which is better than 99% of all sports bars in the city. Wings are great, burgers are OK, prices are a tiny bit high for what it is, but it's a solid sports experience and they have quite a few organised events and contests all the time.

2012 Mar 1
I'll throw in another vote for Maclarens for the best *quality* sports viewing, what with all the hi-def enormous TVs, but I find the food quite sub-par. On the other hand, St. Louis has better food but the viewing conditions aren't always ideal depending on where you sit.

I like the cosier atmosphere at St. Louis, but Maclarens is great for pool.

So for me, I vascillate between the two based on what I'm more in the mood for.

I've also just recently discovered the pretty new Berryman pub, and so far so good!