Ravioli making supplies (plates) in Ottawa? [Food/Vendor]

2011 Dec 13
I'm trying to find some ravioli making plates like the ones in the following link in Ottawa. I'm going to assume i can find them on Preston St, but since I live in Kanata I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction so I don't have to wander up and down the street shouting out "ravioli plates" with a dazed look on my face.

fantes.com

Thanks!

Stuart

2011 Dec 13
Stuart - the only place I can think that might have them in Little Italy is Preston Hardware. It is closed on Sundays, so you would have to come on Saturday. I'd suggest calling first.

Other options - but call first - are Glebe Emporium (First & Bank), Kichenalia (Richmond Rd - Westboro).

On Preston, you'll find home made ravioli, but not many places sell the hardware.

2011 Dec 13
Grace in the kitchen is out in Kanata now. You can ring them or head over, it's quite the store.

2011 Dec 13
Yup, pretty sure I've seen those at Preston Hardware

2011 Dec 13
I called Grace and Preston Hardware. They both sell plates, but not the size I'm looking for, and the ones they have aren't open like the ones in the picture. I've got a buddy who is coming up here around Xmas, so I'm going to try to ship them to him, if the store will let me. If only I had been thinking in Italy two years ago...

All this came about after trying to make braised lamb and butternut squash ravioli from scratch on the weekend. I was one hour late with dinner and pretty much every ravioli burst in some form since they weren't sealed properly when I used the cutting wheel alone.

2011 Dec 13
Try Russell Equipment in Little Italy

2011 Dec 13
I've never used plates like that, a cutting wheel works just fine for me. Lay out your base sheet of dough, place your filling, prepare the top layer of dough, spray the base layer with a light mist of water, then place the top layer over them and seal them by cupping your hand around one side and rolling it to force the air out the other side (air stuck inside is your worst enemy). I'd wager you could make more ravioli, quicker with the wheel than a plate, though they might not all be identical. It may just be a matter of sealing them with water, avoiding air, using less filling, or thicker dough; you can make them work without buying a gizmo.

2011 Dec 13
Sealed mine with a fork

2011 Dec 13
Grace in the kitchen is out in Kanata now. You can ring them or head over, it's quite the store.

2011 Dec 13
Hatman, good advice. I was making fresh pasta for a lasagna for my wife's birthday dinner so I made a little extra and tried again tonight using your advice. MUCH better result this time. I only rolled the dough out to number 6 and used a little less filling. I also added some EVOO which seemed to make the dough more pliable.

The thing I liked about the plate in the video I saw was that the cavity it creates seems to negate needing to do anything to remove the air. I may still get my buddy to try to get me that plate for bigger ravioli, but for smaller ones I feel confident after trying it with your method.

Thanks a bunch!

2011 Dec 15
Yes. Essential for good seal

1) Expel extra air (noted above)
2) Use sealant--I use an egg yolk diluted with a bit of water--flawless.
3) Don't let the paste get snotty--this happens when you let them sit with a moist filling inside for...6 to 48 hours, depending on how thick the pasta is, how moist the filling is, and the phase of the moon.

Since using the egg yolk thing I have have any problems.