Rib racks: useful? [Cooking]

2011 Jun 27
All this talk about Ribfest, and all this talk about BBQ, has gotten me thinking about doing some ribs on my grill.

I've seen these crazy rib racks for sale and I'm not sure if they're worth buying (as much as I love BBQ gadgets). For those who haven't seen it, the picture says it all: you place it on your grill, and it holds the ribs upright as they cook.

What are your thoughts, folks? I have this vague notion that their true value is in letting you fit more ribs on the grill at once, so I'm not sure if it's worth buying if you're only (gasp!) cooking ribs for two people.

2011 Jun 27
I've wondered this too Momo - they look gimmicky to me and the only benefit I could think of as well was the one you noted. Actually they would also help more fat drip away if that is important to you.

Interested to hear any first hand accounts ...

2011 Jun 27
I have one that looks pretty much like this photo.

As Momomoto surmised, it's probably pretty useless if you never cook ribs for more than 2 people. But if you do, then it's indispensable!

The nifty thing about this design is that you flip it upside down and it serves to support a roast beautifully as it cooks.

2011 Jun 28
FF that looks like the roasting rack I use for turkey, only inverted. I will have to try it for ribs.

2011 Jun 28
Zymurgist: Good call. I can see how having them upright would cause the fat to drip away more. I guess it isn't that bad a problem if you have a pan underneath to catch it, but even then why not put them with the cap facing upwards so that it at least melts down into the meat?

Fresh Foodie and Blubarry: Well how about that? I got that very same rack with the Paderno roasting pan I have. Looks like I can have my cake and eat it, too! Only the cakes are ribs.

You guys are awesome. Thanks.

2011 Jun 28
FF ..Thats the exact same rack I use with my BGE -works great, easy to clean and I have used it inverted to do Roasted chicken

2011 Jun 28
Group hug!

2011 Jul 19
I'm wondering if the smoke will penetrate the meat less if you put the rib membrane (well, where there used to be a membrane!) down on the grill? My guess is that in a ceramic cooker or any decent smoker, it won't change anything, but the cheap smokers might be a different story?

Anyways, I've always used one and my ribs are delicious; and you can find a cheap one for $10 at Wal-Mart.