Glass container with spigot? [General]

2011 Jan 20
Does anyone know where I could find a glass container with a spigot at the bottom?

-I'm looking for something that would hold at least 2L and fit in my fridge

-Has a lid opening at least as big as a wide mouth mason (so I can wash it well!)

-and where the spigot could be taken apart and cleaned properly too

If such a thing can only be found in plastic, I guess I could live with that. I just really don't like plastic.

I need it to separate cream from our milk. Gravity removal of the skim milk keeps the cream line better, and is much better than skimming the cream from the top.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

2011 Jan 20
i had to use google images to see what you were talking about, maybe you could find an image online and post a picture?

i think i have seen lemonade ones at places like homesense in the summer. you can get metal or ceramic ones too - bridgehead uses that type for their free water jugs.

you could call some of the specialty kitchen stores:
c.a. paradiso (near billings)
kitchenalia (westboro)
glebe emporium (glebe)
jd adam (glebe)

2011 Jan 20
I've seen them on the summer at the Bay and at Costco. It may be more of a seasonal item.

2011 Jan 20
There's a 1 litre gravy separator available here: www.preparedpantry.com

I haven't seen gravy separators any larger than that but they might exist for commercial use. I guess you could use a clean garden watering can in a pinch -- they often have spigots at the bottom!

2011 Jan 21
Was about to say, maybe one of those gravy separators, that might work.
Maybe CA Paradis/Chefs Paradise might have something or else a suggestion?

2011 Jan 21
Ok, did a quick Google search of 'glass jar with spigot' and this site came up:
www.infusionjars.com

That's pretty close to what I'm looking for, but less fancy. Doesn't need the big space wasting lid. I'd also prefer not to order online, but actually hold the thing in my hands to make sure it's what I'm looking for.

The gravy separator is an interesting idea, but the less the cream is disturbed the better. Not sure how the tipping would go. But if I can't find a decent glass container, maybe I can Macgiver a gravy separator into what I need.

2011 Jan 21
I understand now. You prefer an actual spigot to a spout because you can drain the milk out without having to tilt the jar.

You said you prefer to avoid plastic, but the easiest solution by far is to get yourself a big food grade plastic bucket and install a spigot into it. These are readily available for use by beer brewers.

Maybe the best compromise is a stainless steel brew pot with spigot. Easier to sterilize than plastic and it should last forever! (see photo)

Either way, it looks like you might find your answer in the home-brew world!

2011 Jan 21
Thanks, Fresh Foodie, I did have thoughts of a wide mouthed carboy with a spigot at one point. I had also thought of the plastic jug with self installed spigot if I can't get glass.

I do like the idea of the brew pot, the difficulty I foresee is not being able to see... the cream line that is. Wonder if I can get one of those with a window? I also like that I should be able to clean it completely & thouroughly. Who sells these? Is this something I might find at Preston Hardware?

The brew pot is very similar to an old fashioned creamer, I can get an antique creamer, but I think the lead solder may be an issue!

I'll also try calling the stores hipfunkyfun suggested. You never know what they might have access too.

2011 Jan 22
this was at homesense? on Merrivale. I think it was $39. only one.
it is glass, but I don't know if the spigot is as sturdy as you would want.

2011 Jan 22
I don't know of anything in the homebrew world that is so small. Not glass anyway. They do make glass carboys 20L with a spigot. You might be able to find a SS container roughly that small with spigot - Preston Hardware might be a place to look. I know they have larger SS ones.

2011 Jan 22
Rather than using a container with a spigot, you might want to try a flexible tube and siphon the milk from the bottom of the container.

2011 Jan 23
Hmmm, I'll look into Homesense & Preston Hardware when I call the others. thanks everyone!

witchypoo & zymurgist, your suggestions are initially what I thought of, carboy with siphon like when we used to make homemade wine... (I think possibilities every time I have to skim all the cream off by hand!)

Might be able to keep that set up cleaner than a spigot. I could also use any glass jar of any size. Easy to wash. Hmmm...

2011 Feb 6
I saw some glass and ceramic drink containers at Pier One on Merivale. They were about 1/2 way long the right side wall on the bottom shelf. Ranged in price from 49.99-79.99