Cracklin' [Cooking]

2011 Jan 10
Happy new year all,

Looking for some good tips on creating some better Cracklin on my pork. I had some good success over the holiday with some great belly from the Manotick Village Butcher (Thanks Guys!!) but I feel there is better cracklin’ to be had out there. In this particular situation I brined the belly, braised it and then roasted it on a hot oven to finish it off and create the cracklin. Pork had great flavour but I think I could have done better on the crackling.

Any hints, tips or tricks

Cheers,

2011 Jan 10
Hmmm, my experiences are make sure that the skin is as dry as possible (i.e. let it sit a bit in the fridge or even outside after it has been taken out of the brine), start in a hot oven (450ish) and lower to proper temperature once door is closed, occasionally baste with a bit of fat during roasting and I also find slashing pork skin in a diamond pattern can help release fat and allow the diamond shaped chunks of skin to crisp up. I would never pierce poultry skin however.

If all else fails a quick broil at the very end tends to crisp up skin, if not always in a perfectly uniform manner.

I'm particularly thinking WRT roasted pork shoulders, chickens, ducks, turkeys and pork hocks...

2011 Jan 10
Whenever we do a ham, it is a shoulder and has plenty of fat for making the crackling. Mmmmmmmm. Fat.

I do much the same as Tracinho, above. I peel off the skin and score the fat in a diamond pattern, but I also like to put whole cloves into the fat as well. I just take a handful and start poking them into every other diamond. It looks pretty and adds a nice dimension to the flavour. When it is done, pull the cloves out because they aren't really all that tasty when whole. I suppose you could get away with rubbing ground cloves into the scored top and down into the cuts before putting it into the oven, but I haven't tried that.

BTW, this is also related to my definition of ETERNITY: two people and a ham.

2011 Jan 12
Interesting, Rizak, our shoulder roasts always look much leaner than our butt roasts, which is probably why I prefer the butt roast to the shoulder roasts!

Our pigs don't get scalded, so there is no true craklins as the skin has been removed, but to get the fat crispy, we put the roast in the oven then turn the heat to about 425 (we don't preheat the oven) and leave it there for about 20 - 30 minutes. Then I turn the temp down to about 300, maybe 250 depending on how much time before supper. Roast until the juices run clear, and we always have crisy fat on the outside, and tender juicy pork on the inside, and dark gravy that would rival any roast of beef.

Doesn't seem to matter if we brine or not, we tend to look at brine as more of a flavour option. Or what to do if I thaw a roast and then realize I have no time to cook it for a few days.

And we do often add a spice rub. My husband will add a bit of honey to the rub from time to time, but it's then easy to burn.

2011 Jan 12
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

Now I want to run out and buy a picnic shoulder!

;)

BTW, I've never brined a ham. What's the point, really?

2013 Aug 5
OK folks, bumping this one.

What's the fool-proof method for making pig skin crackling? Been some time since I've done it, and I never did have a good system down.

Right now I'm dealing with the skin from the head so no big thick layer of fat

2013 Aug 5
I will post some photos of the next batch of lard. I would just toss skin in when you are rendering the fat itself. It should float to the top when it is ready.

2013 Aug 5
Well my problem with this skin is that there is no fat to render ... it is off the head

2015 Apr 5
Bam!