Toronto: Restaurant recommendation [Travel]

2007 Apr 14
We went to Toronto for the Easter long weekend. Spent most of the time eating in Scarborough and Markham area.

I tried to write down my restaurant experience last Monday. But stupid me must have hit the wrong button (probably back arrow) and I lost all I have typed. So, I was very mad and signed out.

Now, see if I remember what we ate. I didn't bring my camera. My son took few pictures using his cell phone.

#1 recommendation is Royal Teahouse (君皇茶坊) located in a small strip mall at Woodbine and Appliecreek. The address is 10 Applecreek Blvd., Markham. (Applecreek is on the north side of Hwy #7 and East of Woodbine.)

This place offers Dim-Sum for lunch and traditional Cantonese dishes for dinner. We went to this place for Dim-Sum last time we were in Toronto. This time we went to Royal Teahouse for dinner.

This restaurant is very “unconventional” for a Chinese restaurant (actually the trend for Chinese restaurants in Toronto has changed to very modern decor). You will find a lot of square tables instead of round ones.

You will find many dim-sum dishes that are not offered in Ottawa. For those who like dim-sum very much, this is a place that you must try when you go to Toronto. But be reminded to arrive before 11:30 AM to avoid the line-up.

The photo shows the outside of the restaurant so that you can recognize it and easy to spot it when you go to Markham area.

I have more in a separate submission since I don't want to lose what I typed again.

2007 Apr 14
Here is the photo showing what we ordered for dinner:

- soup: ordered our favourite real Crab meat & fish foam soup (蟹肉魚肚羹). This soup is very authentic and is so different than those I tried in Ottawa. I always wonder why this soup tastes the same in most of Ottawa's Chinese restaurants. I wonder if the kitchens use the same supplier for the soup (this is a myth to be solved one day). But the "crab meat & fish foam soup" there tasted so different and I can taste the real crab. This soup was very very delicious.

- Peking duck (2-course meal, second dish is the stir-fried duck meat with lettuce wraps)
- Steaming hot Tofu pot (highly recommended),
- Drunken chicken,
- Steamed fish
- Sizzling beef on hot plate,
- Stir-fried baby Bok Choy,
- Pork with lemon grass and fish sauce
- Scallops and snowpeas in bird’s nest

Complimentary red bean soup as dessert was included.

We enjoyed the dinner very much and highly recommended this place to every one.

2007 Apr 14
Oh! I forgot to mention that the restaurant is very elegant and clean. The photo gives you an idea of how it is decorated. I wish Ottawa's Chinese restaurant can learn from Roayl Teahouse. Who knows? Maybe one day.

2007 Apr 14
iCook Buffet 喜涮涮火鍋
------------
Address: 7030 Warden Ave (Warden & Steeles Ave. E), Markham

We went to iCook Buffer for Lunch Dim Sum. $1.88 per dish regardless of size. Very good value. They charge $1 for tea per person. The dim sum is okay. I prefer the dim sum at Royal Teahouse.

For dinner, this place offers AYCE hotpot buffet ($14.99 per person). We didn't try this. Should be a good place in the winter time.

NB. The restaurant has a big circular TV in the middle of the restaurant. I haven't seen this in Ottawa yet. I think it will be a good to watch hocky in the pub.

2007 Apr 14
Great, thanks for that Ashley! Now we know where to go next time we visit Toronto!

One tip: if you're writing something long, just type CTRL-A CTRL-C once in a while -- that will select-all and then copy what you typed to the clipboard. This guarantees you won't lose everything because you can always paste (CTRL-V) the stored text again. Since the clipboard is handled by the operating system, this works even if your browser crashes.

If you're on a Mac (like me) use the Command (⌘) key instead of CTRL.

2007 Apr 14
Something else to try when you accidentally delete your text is to perform a CTRL-Z keyboard combination. This is the keyboard shortcut for "undo".

2007 Apr 15
Thanks for the tips, Mark and ollie!

I have more to write.

After the Dim Sum lunch at iCook Buffet, we walked to T & T Supermarket (大統華) to do some Chinese grocery shopping. (T&T is located in the same strip mall where Shoppers Drug Mart and other Chinese or Japanese restaurants reside.)

T&T differs from other supermarkets by featuring many Asian food products. You can find freshly made sushi for take-out (just like those you find at Loblaws), freshly steamed Chinese white buns, daily baked bread and cakes, and many dishes for take-out. You can also find Bubble Tea corner inside the store.

This place was packed on Saturday. Many people from other cites came here to load their cars with Chinese grocery. My son told me that their friends bought $800 worth of food products back to Ottawa two weeks ago. But I don't like to do grocery in this store since the place is too over-crowded on the weekend. If you have kids, don't bring them along unless you go there after 4:30 PM. We saw one customer having a quarrel with another couple since her cart got pushed.

My friend told me that the price at T&T is 20% more expensive than other Chinese supermarkets. He likes to shop at Oriental Food Mart (華盛) at 1661 Dension St, Markham (Kennedy & Denison) or Food Fair Supermarket (富華) at Market Village, 4394 Steeles Ave E, Markham (Kennedy & Steeles).

Anyway, if you haven't been to T&T, visit once to see the difference. But don't go during the peak hours such as lunch hours where many people do their grocery after lunch.

T&T website: www.tnt-supermarket.com/

2007 Apr 15
Keung Kee Restaurant (強記雞粥)

This is the place for Hong Kong style wonton noodle in soup and congee with dough fritters.

I normally go to Kenny’s Noodles (聯記麵家) in First Markham Place for wonton noodle. But my sister asked me to try Keung Kee. So, we went to this place for lunch before we drove back home to Ottawa.

We tried the following:
- shrimp wonton noodle in soup ($3.95 per one big bowl)
- shrimp wonton rice noodle in soup
- beef tendon rice vermicelli in soup
- preserved egg & lean pork congee ($3.95 per one big bowl)
- dough fritters for congee
- Plain rice noodle roll in seasme sauce ($3.455 per plate)
- Fried rice noodle with sliced beef & soya sauce ($7.45 per plate)
- Hong Kong style Tea & Coffee mixed ($1.50 per cup)

The food were all good. But I would prefer to have a separate bowl for the sesame sauce for the rice noodle roll.

Good food and good price! Can you believe a wonton noodle soup only costs you $3.95+tax?

Because of the low price, I guess that they do expect you to "order and eat and leave" so that they can have the table for other customers.

One note: In Ottawa, you can find Caucasian customers inside most of the Chinese restaurants. In Scarborough/Markam areas, I hardly find any Caucasian customers in most of the Chinese restaurants we went to. So, don't get overwhelmed by this. I won't be surprised that the servers didn't speak good English. Oh well.

Address:
Keung Kee Restaurant
Unit #41
3300 Midland Ave (North of Finch E. and south of Silver Star Blvd.)

2007 Apr 15
Aromaz Cake & Pastry (龍騰閣)

Address: 2301 Brimley Road (between Finch and Sheppard), Scarborough (inside Chartewell Shopping Centre)

Before you get on 401 to head home, don't forget to visit Aromaz to buy the freshly baked Chinese buns. Your kids will love these buns in the car. Remember to buy the one with a sauage in it as well. These are my boys' favourite.

They are so good! The fresh breads just keep coming out from the oven. So many customers buying the breads and cakes. Inside the car, we ate almost 8 buns during our 4 hour drive. Don't forget that we had lunch already.

Their tirmisui cake ($18 for a small one) is the best I have tried.

Some other tip-bits:
- In the same mall, there is a Chinese restaurant called Dragon Dynasty Chinese Cuisine (龍騰金閣). They sell BBQ pork (Char Siu) via a separate counter (I personally like their Char Siu very much). I normally bought few pounds of Char Siu there and it became a great dinner for our family. (Of course, I cooked rice and stir-fried a separate veggie dish to go with the Char Siu.)

- Don't use credit card if you go to eat at Chinese restaurants in Toronto. Remember to bring cash since most of the Chinese restaurants do not accept credit cards.

2007 Apr 15
I just realized that the photo we took at Royal Teahouse showed their inside round tables. This photo(I got it from www.TorontoFoodies.com) shows all the square tables. (The outside photo above was also downloaded from TorontoFoodies.com.)

Do you agree that the décor is so different than Chinese restaurants in Ottawa?

2007 Jul 3
Went to Toronto again during the Canada Day long weekend.

Originally we planned to leave on early Friday. But because of the planned barricades on Highway 2 and 401 (between Napanee and Belleville) by Mohawk protesters, we left on Thursday night at 10:20PM (last minute decision) in the hope that we can avoid the barricade. Actually, we didn't realize that the barricade started at midnight and police started to redirect the traffic from 401 to 49 South to Picton. (Every one just followed all the trucks.) We came back to 401 via Trenton. This means an additonal 2 hours drive for us. When we arrived at Toronto, that was 4:00 AM.

During the long weekend in Toronto, we basically just kept on eating and I had put on few extra pounds already. We went to the following Chinese restaurants to fill our hungry stomach:

- Dim-Sum at Oriental Century Palace Restaurant 東方世紀皇官 (4438 Sheppard Ave. East)
- Dim-Sum at Ginger & Onion Cuisine 嘉仁宮 (inside Market Village, 7131 Kennedy Road)
- Dinner at New Sky Restaurant 小沙田食家 (353 Spadina Ave., downtown)
- Dinner at Royal Tea house
- Lunch at Congee Wong 天皇名粥 (8390 Kennedy Rd, Markham)

We also went to Niagra Falls to visit winery places. I will provide my experience separately.

New Sky Restaurant downtown is a new discovery. The dishes were so delicious!!!! You must try this restaurant when you go to downtown Toronto.

2007 Jul 3
Among all the Chinese restaurants I have tried, New Sky Restaurant 小沙田食家 got my vote for the best Chinese Cantonese restaurant in Toronto.

We ordered the following dishes:
- Soup: Crab Meat with Fish Maw soup (#2) - $17.95 for a large bowl
- Deep fried Duck stuffed with mashed Taro 荔芋香酥鴨 (#76) - $11.95 (as shown in the photo)
- Half crispy fried chicken (#72) - $9.50
- Scallop in bird's nest (#38) - $13.95
- Stir-fried snow peas tips with garlic 炒豆苗
- Deep Fried Seabass in Soy Sauce with bean curd - $30 (two dishes combined)
- Sliced beef with Tony Choy - $12.95
- 3 bottles of Qingdao beers

Complimentary dessert includes Tofu Fa. (Most of the Chinese restaurants offer red bean soup as dessert. New Sky offers ToFu Fa and this differentiates them from others!)

The bill was $160 after tips and tax. It is about $20 per person.

P.S. There is another famous Chinese restaurant close to New Sky. It is called Lee Garden 翠園 (331 Spadina). I tried Lee Garden twice many years ago during my business trip. Their food at Lee Garden was also pretty good. But the difference between Lee Garden and New Sky is that you can find many Caucasian customers at Lee Garden whereas you can find mostly Chinese customers at New Skey.

Address: 353 Spadina Ave., Toronto, Ont. M5T 2G3 Tel: 416-596-8787

2007 Jul 3
This is the Scallop in birds nest from New Sky. The nest was very crispy!

2007 Jul 3
This was the Deep Fried Seabass in Soy Sauce with bean curds from New Sky. The taste was very good. The price tag was $30 though.

2007 Jul 3
This was the stir-fried snow peas tips with garlic. Now is the season for snow peas tips.

2007 Jul 3
Dim-Sum at Oriental Centruy Palace Restaurant 東方世紀皇官 wasn't good. Way too much MSG and is on my Not recommended list.

Instead, the dim-sum at Ginger & Onion Cuisine 嘉仁宮 was good (still prefer the dim-sum at Royal Teahouse).

Congee Wong's Seafood Congee was very good!

2007 Jul 3
great report on chinese in Tor. And wonderful pictures...., which say a thousand words of course... Now I shall have to make the trip and try some that I haven't been to before..., esp New Sky.

agree that Royal Teahouse is quite famous esp on the new HK style variations to dim sum.

2007 Jul 3
Ashley, we were in T.O. last weekend too. Our hotel was in Markham so we had access to great restaurants. We enjoyed a brunch at Congee Wong (the Hwy 7 location near Woodbine). This photo is of the Crab Meat and Fish Maw Super Congee. Prices are fantastic compared to Ottawa!

We had a set dinner at Qian Long restaurant (also in First Markham Place). We tried to get into the Shanghai Dim Sum restaurant there but the wait was half an hour and Qian Long had one or two empty tables. They also had someone out on the sidewalk trying to pull in customers (usually a bad sign?). We were with Malaysian/Chinese friends and they weren't too thrilled with the food quality. I enjoyed the opportunity to try some interesting new dishes.

The focus of our visit was kid stuff (Museum and Zoo). Next time we'll go armed with your list of recommendations!

2007 Jul 3
We parked near the Royal Ontario Museum around 11.30am and decided to pop into the China Garden restaurant on Bloor, directly across from the museum. The food wasn't very good but holy wow the prices were great! All the food you see in this picture (noodles, bok choy, dumplings, sauce, big bowl of broth) was $4.75.

Later that afternoon we popped into the ROM cafeteria and paid more than that for one ice cream bar. Toronto is crazy! ;-)

2007 Jul 4
Mark, the Shanghai Dim Sum restaurant in the First Markham Place you referred to must be Ding Tai Fung (鼎泰豐). This place is always packed. The original chef has already left. But I heard that the owner managed to get the recipe from the chef. Although it was not as good as before, this place is still a good place for soup dumplings, hand-made dumplings, steamed minced-pork buns, crispy green onion pancake, Shanghai noodle soup. It is neat to see the kitchen staff making dumplings via their glassed-in kitchen.

If you do come to this place for lunch/dinner, remember to buy their in-house chilli sauce ($5). Great chilli sauce for BBQ and dumplings.

The noodle you ordered from China Garden is called Won Ton Lo Mein. I had terrible experience eating dry noodles in Hong Kong (I wanted to throw up, but the noodles just stuck inside and took me so long to throw up). From then on, I only ordered those noodles in soup and have never eaten "Lo Mein" (i.e., noodles without soup). If you go traveling, I recommend you to avoid ordering "Lo Mein". Won Ton noodles in soup or fried noodles is better.

2007 Jul 7
I would also like to mention The Doctor's House (21 Nashville Road, Kleinburg, Tel: 905-893-1615). I have not been there for dinner. But our friend in Toronto recommended this restaurant to us. So, I have to mark it for future visit if I got a chance. It is very close to Wonderland.
www.thedoctorshouse.ca

Chef de Cuisine Winni Tsang is their kitchen head. My friend told me that he is known for his sauces and his creativity with meat and seafood. He specializes in modern French, Chinese and Continental cuisine.

It seems that quite a number of chefs from Hong Kong or China are doing pretty good in Canada. To name a few, Chef Susur Lee (of Susur Lee in Toronto) and Chef John Leung (formerly E18hteen in Ottawa, and currently exec chef for British High Commission).

2009 Jan 21
I am cleaning up my purse and found the business card of Eastside Congee Noodle (好景粥麵王), located at 250 Alton Towers Circle, Scarborough). I remember we ordered shrimp wonton with noodles in soup ($3.99 per bowl, very good price!) for lunch before leaving Toronto (rather than having MacDonald's on 401). The place was dirty and the service was very bad. Worst, the shrimps inside the won tons were not fresh. Most of the customers were young university students. Although the menu price was so cheap, I won't bother to go there again.

2009 Jan 22
Ashley - Very informative. I think these would all be good additions to the OF Travel Wiki. (It means others might contact you for further info... you could always refer them to this Forum Topic).

I can do the entries for you in the Wiki based on the info here (I'll PM you the details before publishing), if you'd be interested.

2009 Mar 23
Another Chinese restaurant in Toronto has been added to my recommended list:

Paradise Fine Chinese Dining (Chinese: 世外桃園新派優雅食府), located in the Finch Leslie Square (5505 Leslie Street, North York, Ont).

This restaurant is considered a high end type Chinese restaurant in Toronto. We went to this restaurant for Dim-Sum after visiting my nephew's new born baby. My nephew told me to try their dim-sum (but they warned me that the price there is more expensive than the other dim-sum places). We were so glad that we tried this place. Their Dim-Sum dishes were very exquisite. The deco is also very nice. The service was very good.

When we asked for the bill, I had to rub my eyes. We ordered many dim-sum dishes and the price was only $30 after tax (for 4 of us). The waiter told us that they had 50% discount day once every month to celebrate their one year anniversay. I felt so lucky that we went in on their 50% discount day.

My nephew also told us that they normally go to this restaurant for dinner with their friends. Next time we will visit this restaurant for dinner.

2009 Apr 22
In addition to Ding Tai Fung Shanghai Dim-Sum(in First Markham Place) for soup dumpling (i.e., Xiao Lun bao), you can also try Skyland de Shanghai Restaurant in Markham.

I tried their xiao lun bao and they were very competitive. I was not careful when I bit the dumpling (the hot juice from the dumpling burned my tongue and throat).

I remember we tried their soup dumplings, pan-fried dumplings, green onion pancake, beef soup noodles, Zha Jiang mian. We like all the dishes we ordered except for the Zha Jiang mian (noodles with minced pork).

This place is very nice with beautiful decorations, chairs, and tables. Price was about average to high.

Address:
Skyland de Shanghai Restaurant 上海新天地
680 Silver Star Blvd., Unit R306-R310
Scarborough, Ont M1V 5N1
Tel: 416-321-6822

Latest update (Sept 2010): Skyland is no longer our favorite. I think they changed the chef and the food was not that good any more. So, we now stick with Ding Tai Fung Shanghai Dim Sum in Markham (very close to Hilton Markham) for Shanghai dumplings (Xiao Lun Bao).

2010 Sep 30
Our new discovery and our new favorite for Chinese restaurant in Toronto (Scarborough) is Maple Yip Seafood Restaurant.

One of their specialty is Pork with Preserved Vegetable (梅菜扣肉) (see photo). If you have seen Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman, this dish is one of the dishes the father (a senior chef) cooked in the opening scene.

(That pork dish is shown at time 1:18 to 1:40 and finished plate is shown at 2:11 to 2:30).

I tried to cook this dish few times at home. Every time my kids (incl. my husband) saw this dish, they will say "Oh! Fat Pork! Lucky day". I seldom cook this dish in view of cholesterol. Last time I cooked this dish, I followed the movie's trick to use ice cubes to cool down the fried pork before stewing the pork (didn't steam the pork like in the movie). It turned out to be the best I've cooked. The fat is really melt in your mouth.

You can buy those pork from Kowloon Market (I have stopped buying T&T's meat because I found that the quality was not that good any more).

Address of the restaurant:
Maple Yip Seafood Restaurant (陸羽海鮮酒家)
4227 Sheppard Ave East, Unit B2
Scarborough, Ont. M1S 5H5
Tel: 416-297-1438

P.S. My friends went to this place for dinner as per my recommendation and also ordered this dish. They phoned me from Toronto to thank me for the recommendation after the dinner. My friend told me that her husband hasn't eaten this dish for 20 years. Her husband told me that next time he goes there, he will also order takeout so that he can enjoy the dish in Ottawa again. (Also note that you are advised to make advanced reservation. My friend had to wait for an hour for their table. This is a very authentic Chinese restaurant and hence I only see Chinese customers inside. The inside is very plain and no fancy deco.)

2010 Sep 30
In addition to the fat pork dish with preserved vegetable, other dishes we tried at Maple Yip Seafood Restaurant were:

- Fried green beans with spicy minced pork (see photo - not bad)
- Beef Tendon Stew pot (another dish I recommend)
- Steamed walking chicken (nothing special to write about, very typical)

You may try the following dishes:
- Bird Nest with Chicken, Shrimps, and Broccoli (see photo at Flickr that I found at: www.flickr.com
- BBQ chicken (see flickr photo at: www.flickr.com)

Hope you will try this restaurant one day and let me know if you like my recommendation.