Pickling [Cooking]

2010 Jun 23
I have had a craving for garlic pickled carrots and pickled beets forever. Looking for good homemade old fashioned recipes that I can then can.

All and any suggestions welcome!!

2010 Jun 27
I am not a pickled beet lover (although I had some roasted beets with feta mustard vinaigrette which were delicious.)
anyway, my husband likes them so I made this recipe from Cdn living '95. I don't think I used the crushed whole dried chilies.
3kg small even size beets
2 1/2 c white sugar
2 1/2 c white vinegar
2 1/2 c water
4 tsp pickling spice
1 T salt
1 1/2 tsp crushed whole dried chilies
Scrub beets, leaving root and 1/2 inch of stem.
in boiling salted water, cook beets 15 min or until tender. place in cold water. remove skin, snip off root ends. leave whole or slice/ dice
In stainless steel saucepan stir together sugar, vinegar and water.
Tie pickling spice, salt and chilies in double thick cheese cloth. Add to pan.
heat almost to boiling, stirring often. Add beets, return to boil, boil 4 min. Stirring often to distribute spice flavor.
Pack beets into sterilized canning jars, pour in boiling pickling liquid leaving 3/4 inch head space.
Seal with prepared lids, transfer to boiling water bath covering jars with 2 inches of water.
Bring to boil, boil 30 min.
Follow manufactures directions for boiling water bath, making sure seals are in tact.

I'm actually pickling some beets tomorrow, because that was one of the toppings for hamburgers that I am going to have on hand.

2010 Jun 28
I found a recipe from the website of a Rice Vinegar manufacturer in Hong Kong. I followed the recipe to make pickled cucumbers. The taste turned out like those I ate at some Chinese restaurants, and the cucumbers are very crunchy.

Here is the recipe for Chinese or Japanese Pickled Cucumbers.

Ingredients
- 2 English cucumbers
- One teaspoon of salts (to sprinkle)
- Half cup of Sweet and sour ginger shreds (optional)
- 1/4 cup of red pepper shreds (use less if you don't want too spicy)

Pickling ingredients
- White rice vinegar (1 cup) - use Japanese one or Pat Chun White Rice Vinegar
- water (1 cup)
- White sugar (1-1/3 cup)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)

Methods
1) Boil vinegar, water and sugar together. Stir well to make sure sugar is dissolved. Let cool for use.

2) Rinse the cucumber. Cut off the the two ends of the cucumbers. Keep the skin.

3) Cut the cucumbers into thin strips (about 6 cm in length). I normally cut the cucumber into half (lengthwise). Get rid of the seeds. Cut each half into another half (i.e., there are a total of 4 portions). Cut off each portion into the desired length and then each chunk is cut into 3 strips.

4) Sprinkle salts into cucumber strips and let it sit for 30 minutes (I put them in the fridge).

5) Rinse cucumbers under cold water to remove salt

6) Wipe-dry the cucumber using towel paper. Make sure the cucumbers are not wet.

7) Put the cucumbers in the sweetened vinegar (best to use glass container). Make sure the cucumbers are well coated by the vinegar.

8) Marinate cucumbers for at least 4 hours or overnight in refrigerator in sealed glass container.

This recipe can also be used to make pickled carrots (red or white). But you may need more than 4 hours to marinate (Overnight will be perfect).

I personally don't like too much sugar and you can reduce the sugar amount to suit your taste.

Note: You can buy Japanese or Pat Chun rice vinegar from any Chinese grocery stores such as New 168, Kowloon Market or T&T.

2010 Jun 28
I have not tried this but I heard they were a huge hit at Big New Brunswick Brew 2 weeks ago. Very similar to what you want I think.

Makes 5 to 6 pint jars

3 cups water
3 cups vinegar (white was used)
1/4 cup each sugar and coarse salt
2 tbsp mixed peppercorns
6 cloves peeled garlic
6 hot chili peppers
4 lb carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
6 sprigs fresh rosemary

Prepare the jars.
Combine the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and peppercorns in a pot. Bring to a
boil. Reduce to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
Working with 1 jar at a time... place a clove of garlic and a chili pepper
into each jar.
Pack the carrots tightly into the jar, standing them upright. Slide a sprig
of rosemary into the jar. Carefully pour the liquid into the jars taking
care to evenly distribute the peppercorns and leaving a 1/4 inch headspace.
Release the air bubbles. Wipe the rims clean. Seal according to the
manufacturers recommendations. Process the jars in a water bath for 15
minutes.

I find standard narrow mouth jars work best for packing the carrots in
tightly. The top of the jar helps jam them in tightly.

Recipe extracted from
www.amazon.com
It's a good book!

2010 Jun 28
I usually make a pickled carrot that is quite different and calls for being shredded BUT I started cutting it into rounds instead. It takes a bit longer for the flavors to permeate but it makes for a great snack.

Note: recipe can easily be scaled down. This will keep for up to several months. Note; after marinating for several days, this topping becomes quite hot. If you like it less or more torrid, add less or more jalapeno as you choose. Remember it takes a while for the full effect to appear.

"Pickled Carrots"
1 lb carrots
2 large or 4 small jalapeno chili peppers - chopped
6 large garlic cloves - slivered
1 tsp oregano
1 c. cider vinegar
2 c. water
1/8 tsp salt

If using as a topping; peel & coarsely chop carrots in a food processor. My variation is to use it is as a side or snack. For this you chop the carrots into thin rounds.

Place the chopped jalapeno, oregano, sliced garlic, vinegar and water into a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for one minute. Add the carrots and boil for one minute.

With a slotted spoon or strainer, transfer the carrots to a bowl. Cool the brine in the saucepan. Pour over the carrots and then chill overnight.

2010 Jun 28
I make a quick pickled cucumber, modified from a recipe found in "Thai Food" by David Thompson, which seems to be our favorite Thai cookbook. It seems to be a bit of a combo of the "Pickled Cucumber" (dtand gwa dong) and the "Pickled Shallots" (horm dong) recipe from the same page (page 386).

1 lb Lebanese cucumber (or English)
1 cup coconut vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup water
5 cloves
2 cm cassia bark (optional)
1/2 a shallot (optional)

Bring vinegar, sugar, and water to the boil, add spices and simmer for 5 min. Cool and leave overnight. Strain. remove the outer wrapping of the shallot and slice into rings (or just hunky). Top and tail cucumber. (If using an English cut in half length wise & de-seed by scraping with a spoon.) Slice into rounds (or 1/2 rounds) and place the cucumbers and shallots in sterilized jar. Pour pickling liquid over it.
(* The recipe cuts the cucumbers into spears, salts the cucumber over night to remove the moisture and then pats them dry. As I understand it, his helps with longer term preservation. I do not bother with this as they never seem to last that long and I do not want the extra sodium if I can help it. Also I find rounds more versatile and it pickles faster. I get the flavour without the wait.)

2010 Jun 28
The easiest pickling recipes I know come from Epicure Selections ... they have a wonderful Traditional Pickling spice blend that makes pickling really easy. All of their recipes are online at www.epicureselections.com and there are recipe groups on yahoo.ca

They also have a Mustard Pickle spice blend and a Mango Chutney blend. You can order the products online or thru an independent consultant. I have a contact if you need one.

2010 Jul 3
A no brainer for pickled carrots (or any other vegetable)is the following:

Buy a jar of kosher dill pickles...make sure to buy the ones in the refrigerated section of your local supermarket, with cloudy brine, not vinegar.

When you are done with the dill pickles, save the brine in the jar. Just drop in the carrots (I prefer mine julienned)with a few whole cloves of garlic, maybe a jalapeno or two to kick it up a knotch... I also put in a hand full of sea salt, but not too much or it will kill off all the beneficial microbes in the brine. Make sure the carrots are completely submerged in the brine (if necessary, put a stone or glass paper weight into the jar to weigh the pickles down)and screw the lid back on (not too tight, gotta let the fermenting gases escape).

Now the easy part: leave the jar in the basement or a cool corner on the kitchen counter for a week or two and the carrots should be ready to eat. Don't worry, it won't spoil because the lactobacillus in the brine produce natural proteins that will kill all other contaminant microbes. The lactic acid produced by the microbes also makes the pickles sour without ever needing any vinegar. Once ready, the pickles can be stored in the fridge to slow the fermentation process. They will last forever this way, but I usually eat them up and start a new batch every month or so.

2010 Jul 3
Thanks so much for all the ideas everyone.. Going to have to try them all out :)