Pearl sugar [Food/Vendor]

2009 Oct 5
Hi!

Does anyone know where I could buy pearl sugar (sucre perlé) in Ottawa? I want to make Belgian waffles and can't find the key ingredient (well that's what I think) anywhere.

2009 Oct 5
Describe it. Given that it is Belgian I'm immediately thinking Candi Sugar which is something brewers use. I've been told that places in Chinatown sell something almost identical.

2009 Oct 5
It is a really coarse sugar (caliber 4... I think). It's used for pastries in Europe.

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. We never know, that could be it!

2009 Oct 5
Maybe not the same thing then. Candi sugar is a brown colour and is carmelized

If the one you want is white then definitely not the same

2009 Oct 5
NP - Here is some info I found for you...

Aka - Pearl Sugar, Nib Sugar or Hail Sugar = en.wikipedia.org

And from another Website (and in reference to a specific recipe... hence the suggestions for nuts & chocolate chips):

Cook's note: Pearl sugar --sucre perle--comes in coarse, lentil-sized nuggets that remain crunchy when baked. it sometimes goes by the name of nib sugar, and can be purchased wherever cake-decorating supplies are sold. if you can't find it, crush sugar cubes in a sturdy storage bag using a rolling pin or a meat mallet. You can also use a coarse sugar, like demerara or turbinado, chopped caramelized nuts or chocolate chips.

2009 Oct 6
www.jane-asher.co.uk
( I put this link just for the image)
I don't know if this is what you are looking for... I went to Michael's today and saw this coase sugar crystal. Price is between $ 7~8, sorry, I forgot exact price for this item :(

2009 Oct 14
Hi!

Thanks for all your input. The husband of a friend bought me some in Belgium. I've put a picture so you know what I was looking for. I hope it shows.