Jean Talon Market in Montreal [Travel]

2009 Aug 17
OK, I'm going to start a thread for this.

I search google maps and it looks like it is right off St Denis, is that right?

Sounds like it could make for a fun day trip for the family.

2009 Aug 17
Zymurgist: I'm sure you'll love it it is the best farmer's market I have seen in Canada, and I would put it in the discussion of the best I have seen in the world. 2 small blocks south west of the Jean Talon/St Denis intersection. Go hungry, there are lots of good street vendor-type things to eat. I am always particularly impressed with the Boucherie Prince Noir. Lots of good game and normally hard to find meat like fresh goat, horse, rabbit, pheasant, guinea fowl and goose, butchered to manageable sizes (you don't have to buy a whole duck or rabbit for example). The vegetables are amazing, and there are great deals to be found amidst all the stalls, even though the prices are generally very good.

For ready-to-eat foods don't miss the Moroccan joint with the outdoor charcoal pit and the fresh chips fried in duck fat. Oysters, fresh scallops and cod are also awesome when the seasons are right and the vendors have them.

2009 Aug 17
and good luck with parking. There is a parking lot underground at the market - if you can get in there go for it. If not, its tough to find a spot on the streets. The parking issue is the only thing I don't like about Jean Talon. Two years ago we were there for a special market anniversary day and many of the vendors had stuff for $1 or $2 for a few hours in the morning. The ice cream place in the south east corner of the market is great - and the were selling single scoops for a buck! I second the Moroccan place - great lamb on a spit, as well as the frite place on the same block. There is also a store that sells all Quebec stuff that has lots of neat food. I'm sure you'll love it. The chow hound board for Montreal also has a few threads on the Market, and opinions on who to hit or not.
Oh and I forgot to mention the cheese guys - there are a few of them, and they are so so good. My (at the time) 4 year old just goobled up a bunch of pretty expensive blue cheese samples. The guy at the store just laughed and said he was sure he would be a good future customer! Sorry for the long rant - just lots of good things to say.

2009 Aug 17
Parking wouldn't be an issue for us since this would be a Via Rail trip - add to the the excitement for the boys :-)

2009 Aug 17
I second the cheese shops, specially the whole milk cheese shop. A visit to
www.cochonstoutronds.com/ should be in order, some great charcuteries.
My wife and I were there 2 weeks ago, we sold some friends on coming with us again at the end of the month.

2009 Aug 18
All my years in Ottawa, been there only once but this is one of the best...rivals my favourite in Paris, rue moufftard. Lots of organic, great cheese. Driving looked like a bother but i had come by train; a bit far out.

2009 Dec 14
I highly recommend stopping in at the Fromagerie Hamel www.fromageriehamel.com It is a great cheese shop with some other yummy products and they also have an area at the back that is a little cafe. I highly recommend having an "l'aventure gastronomique".

2009 Dec 14
We are off to Montreal this weekend to see the lights and do some shopping. We are planning to stop by this market, coincidently. Is this a good time of the year to go?
What about the other market, Atwater?
Any "must dos" at either market?

2009 Dec 14
I like Olives et Epices, which has a great selection of really top-notch spices (for a price). Nutmeg from three different counties: Who knew?

www.epicesdecru.com/fr/

I find the prices there to be less than at the Atwater market, sometimes by a large margin.

You will also note some great stores surrounding the market building proper.

I wish my dad had taken me to such a place instead of to dumb football and baseball games...you have lucky kids!

Mark

2009 Dec 15
spud guy I usually go to the Atwater market since it is easier for me to get to from my family's house. So I guess I would make the Atwater market my favourite purely for sentimental reasons-;) There is a Première Moison store on the upper level that makes lovely pastries and they have a lunch counter if you want to tie in a light meal while you are there. You can't go wrong with any of the cheese stores and there is a really big butcher near the health food store that sells the best merguez sausages I have ever eaten.

Apparently the Jean Talon market is HUGE although I haven't been yet (still on my "to do" list). Other ottawafoodies have been so maybe they can recommend vendors. If you would like more info on the public markets in Montreal you can visit their websites here: www.marchespublics-mtl.com/

BTW if you would like to see some of the Christmas lights a visit to the Ogylvie window on Ste. Catherine is a Montreal tradition as is the Christmas tree at Place Ville Marie just down the street.

Happy shopping!

2009 Dec 19
marche jean talon is fantastic! it's huge, and prices are SO reasonable compared to Ottawa markets!

Lots of variety and quality is great.