Pretzel recipe [Cooking]

2009 Apr 26
Hi foodies! In the NYC thread I was lamenting that I can never find a satisfactory pretzel in NYC, EXCEPT this time around I had some amazing pretzel bread at DB Bistro. WELL. Deb of SmittenKitchen.com posted a recipe for pretzels, and since I had all of the ingredients, I just HAD to try it - even though it was 9:30pm at this point and I have a day full of meetings tomorrow.

Well, may I just say - COMPLETE SUCCESS. I just had to share with everyone here too.

Here's a link to the recipe ( smittenkitchen.com ), and over there is a photo of my pretzels.

I wish I could eat them all - but I will be nice and bring them into work tomorrow :)

2009 Apr 26
One more photo - then bed for moi.

2009 Apr 27
Mmm pretzels. Those look great! What are you using for dip?
I love Deb's blog. The salted white chocolate oatmeal cookies are delicious! I highly recommend them!

2009 Apr 27
Inject with Cheez Whiz or PB and you've got yourself a high-end Combo!

2009 Apr 27
Pam, that pretzel picture is making me really hungry! I'm going to have to try this one, and see how it compares to my current fav pretzel recipe from BeFOODled ( befoodled.blogspot.com ) It seems the big difference is the overnight in the fridge that is required by BeFOODled recipe. The bad side is not only do you have to wait, but it takes longer for the fridge cooled dough to rise after it's been shaped into pretzels. The good side is, you can leave the dough in the fridge for a couple days, and just use a couple pretzels worth of dough each day so they are constantly fresh. Mmm.. pretzels.

2009 Apr 27
I brought them to work and they were gone by 9:30am! Pretzels, the breakfast of champions!

Martha - I used whole grain mustard (yum) - but I wasn't nice enough to bring my (expensive) jar to work. The folks here just ate them as-is. I bet cheez whiz or just plain yellow mustard would be amazing!

Pete - please do and let me know which one you end up preferring! I'm kind of sold on these since it was only a couple hours from start to finish. I'd definitely make them again. Never tried the BeFOODled recipe though!