Milk delivery ottawa [General]

2009 Apr 25
I am currently going through 6-8 bags of bags of milk a week. 40-50 litres with all my cooking. I hate schlepping it and it is killing my budget.

I have been googling for two days and can't find milk delivery other than the organic one.

Does anyone know of a delivery service that would like my order?

Anyone who uses Summit or a similar supplier: what do they charge for milk? I doubt I'd make the minimum order (if they have one?) but I'd like to know.

Anyone know where to get the boxes of milk (20 litres I think) that sit on the machine?

2009 Apr 25
What about Cochrane's Dairy Russell Ont?

2009 Apr 25
Yeah, Cochrane's delivers

2009 Apr 25
Olivers Rock - Wow that is an "udderly" ridiculous amount of milk.... have you thought about just getting a cow?

;-)

Ok me bad... sorry couldn't resist.

As one not in the industry (so a total clueless sort) however are you going to store all that milk if it comes in one delivery? Seems to me it would take up a lot of space. (Can't really picture the box thingy... know about the huge bags that restaurants get of cream (fills up a whole mailk crate) that they put into cream dispensers that are stand-alone refrigerated units, is that sort of what you are talking about?)

2009 Apr 25
I know that Dairyland delivers but dont know about minimums, try giving them a call.

2010 Dec 1
Sorry to dredge this up 18 months later, but I get my milk delivered by Cochrane's every week. Between the two of us we go through 6 litres a week, which is a fair enough amount. We've been lucky enough to always live in an area that is covered by a route.

Getting it in bottles has spoiled me for other milk, however. I can taste the bag or carton now.

Call Cochrane's and see if they'll deliver to your area.
I have the delivery price list in front of me now: 613.445.2959
Minimum order: $15
10% discount on orders of $50 or more.

They have regular and organic, 1%, 2%, homogenized, skim, chocolate, cream, egg nog (yum), buttermilk, Betty bread, butter, St. Albert cheese, eggs, Kettleman's bagels, spring water, all kinds of stuff if it matters.

If I were getting 50 litres of milk a week, I'd do it just so I wouldn't have to carry it all.

2015 Apr 14
Got my regular delivery today, along with a sample of coffee. Cochrane's Dairy can now deliver Francesco's Coffee Company freshly roasted coffee. 4 styles are available in your choice of grind or whole bean:
- Mondovi (medium, fair trade) $20/lb
- Guatamala (dark) $18/lb
- Espresso $18/lb
- Tramondo (decaf) $18/lb

Call (613) 445-2959 for more info and to see if you are on a delivery route.

----

BTW, there doesn't seem to be any difference in taste of the milk now that we've switched from bottles to plastic jugs. So good. I had to get a litre the other day from Loblaws and I made a face after drinking some. There really is a difference.

2015 Apr 15
I'm intrigued. I use 6-8L a week......easily. How do the prices compare to buying the bagged milk for $4?

2015 Apr 15
Cochrane's milk delivery is awesome! Great tasting milk in bottles is worth the it for sure! And if you like chocolate milk their's is delicious.

2015 Apr 15
$6.95 for a 4 litre bag of 1%, 2%, or skim.
$7.35 for a 4 litre bag of homogenized.
A 4 litre jug is 10 cents more.

That's from my price sheet that I have on the fridge and it has the date Feb. 2014.

Compared to the $1/litre milk you get at Mac's, it costs almost double. The taste is completely different, though. If this is important to you, I'd say look into it. If not, cheaper milk is obviously available. Try Mallwart. Get a litre of each and see for yourself if you care.

You don't get an itemized bill, just a paper slip with your order once in a while with the total owed. I leave a cheque outside in the cooler where they leave the milk. Done. Where we are now, it's always there before 7am.

Also, I don't think there is any kind of loyalty program for referring clients. Damn.

Let's see here ... what else do they deliver ...
- 1%, 2%, skim, homogenized, chocolate (all in regular or organic)
- half and half cream (regular or organic)
- whipping chream
- lemonade, fruit punch, iced tea, peach/raspberry/grape drink
- orange/apple juice
- buttermilk
- Lacteze
- Betty bread
- butter (salted or not)
- margarine
- sour cream
- cottage cheese
- local eggs (free range available)
- Astro yorurt
- St. Albert cheese (swiss, havarti, mozzarella, mild, medium, old, extra old, curds)
- Kettleman's bagels
- cream cheese
- Labrador spring water
- milk shakes

2015 Apr 15
Sure it's pricey but the service and the milk are priceless! I would like to see them expand and offer more premium choices. Fresh baguettes? Croissants?

2015 Apr 15
Wow thanks!!! That could really save me a lot of heavy bags back and and forth. I don't drive so I do all my groceries on foot.......so double the price and better quality and convenience!?! Sounds like a deal to me.

2015 Apr 15
Cochrane's milk is carried at the Metro on Bank St. in the Glebe (or at least was). Anyone know if that's the same price? I don't remember it being that expensive, but perhaps it was. That's getting up near organic pricing. I also don't remember it being that different tasting from regular milk. Their eggnog is good though.

2015 Apr 16
I think milk delivery is awesome! As a kid, I remember having milk delivered to the door when we lived in the UK.

The milk 'delivery' I have now is a bit more work, but dang! It sure is fresh! ;-)

2015 Apr 19
If it was any fresher, you'd have to slap it!

2015 Apr 19
Hmm, I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before. ;-)

2015 May 10
Okay, the last 2 weeks in our delivery we've gotten milk from Brum's dairy in Pembroke instead of from Cochrane's. I spoke to someone I know at the Manotick Village Butcher (whom I know also used to carry Cochrane's) and was told that Cochrane's Dairy is no longer processing milk. I don't know the extent of that information, but it sounds pretty serious. The Brum's milk is as excellent as Cochranes. MVB has switched to Hewlitt's milk because Brum's doesn't produce in bottles, which is a huge seller for them. Honestly, I've not noticed a difference between the taste of milk in bottles, jugs, or cartons (which the Brum's is now delvered in).

So, to sum up ... different dairy, cartons instead of jugs or glass bottles, still excellent quality.

Oh, and when it comes up, they also make a kick-ass egg nog. Cochrane's was the go-to brand for a lot of people. I'm sure this will be our replacement.

No notification, no informative insert, nothing. Just a change in product. I also heard that Cochrane's long-time delivery guy retired at the same time. I'll miss him. He was a great guy.

2015 May 10
There was a post to Cochrane's Facebook page from another customer named Pat S, and this is the message:

"Just talked to someone at the dairy. They ceased production of Cochrane's milk about April 16, and will now be distributing Hewitt's milk from Hagarsville near Hamilton. Pembroke farms will supply eggs, cheese and other products. The glass bottle isn't important to us, supporting local farmers is. Now we have to think about the mass of a glass bottle being trucked 1100 km round trip per use."

2015 May 10
That's too bad. I wonder though if it's related to the following (?):

www.cbc.ca

I wish places in Ottawa would carry products from Reid's Dairy in Belleville.

2015 May 10
I also noticed that my last two shipments of milk were labelled Hewitt's. Home delivery of milk in glass bottles is something that I cherish. I hope they continue .

2015 May 11
Just curious as to why the attachment to glass bottles? It makes no difference to taste, and presumably you were buying their milk for either taste, or some ethical reason? Glass is heavy and adds greatly to the carbon footprint when distributing. Other vessels can be recycled/composted. Just wondering if its all nostalgia or marketing?

2015 May 11
You must be kidding?!! Everything tastes better in glass. The weight component on your carbon footprint from glass is minuscule. The weight is in the vehicle and the liquid.

2015 May 12
Wouldn't glass be more environmentally friendly compared to cartons? At least they can be reused several, several times whereas the cardboard ones only have one chance at life.

Either way, it seems like a silly thing to argue when the dairy industry itself isn't exactly the model of carbon footprint efficiency.

2015 May 12
Glass or other material does make a difference. That's why I asked the question. I doubt the container really effects the taste - but only a blind taste test for a given individual would convince someone of that. Glass containers are great marketing tools - just ask coke! If you want the facts on carbon footprint here is a good article:
www.treehugger.com

Science is a wonderful thing.

2015 May 12
What if you refilled and reused the glass bottle 60 times?

2016 Nov 23
I found out today that my milkman has been laid off from Cochrane's after 28 years. It seems that the number of people getting a dairy delivery has dropped precipitously. Such a shame. I figured with the strong support here in Ottawa of all things local, the deliciousness of milk in bottles and the fact that it can be considered a greener option that more not less people would be signing up. Such nice people deserve our support.

2016 Nov 26
Yeah, we got that same message on Tuesday. I'll miss Ron. He was great.

Cochrane's stopped making milk and they just deliver from other dairies now. Currently, we're getting really good, fresh milk from Quebec. I'm spoiled by my milk delivery. I can't buy milk in the store anymore. I can really taste the difference.

So, call Cochrane's (613) 445-2959 and see if you're on a delivery route.
It's a tiny bit more expensive, yes. Still, that's one less heavy thing I have to cart back from the store. The milk quality is totally worth it. It doesn't have to be in glass bottles to be better. We get the plastic jugs, and it tastes the same. The bottles are cute, but unnecessary. Also, you have to deal with cleaning and returning them and the deposit.

Our price list from February includes:

1%, 2%, skim
4 litre $7.10
2 litre $4.35
1 litre $2.75
glass $2.60

Homogenized
4 litre $7.50
2 litre $4.70
1 litre $2.80
glass $2.70

chocolate milk
half and half
whipping cream
buttermilk
Lacteze
sour cream
cottage cheese
butter
margarine
Betty bread
local eggs (including free range)
St. Albert cheese
Kettleman's bagels
spring water (Labrador)
and assorted other goodies

Minimum order is $20.
10% discount on each order of $50 or more.

They deliver once/week, and put it in a cooler you leave out. We've never had a problem.

We've gotten deliveries in the Glebe, Mechanicsville and Fisher Park, so they roam all over.

Help a brother out. Save local jobs.

2016 Nov 26
To state clearly, our delivery is not stopping. It is moving to a different day, though. They're just letting one of the drivers go because they don't have enough residential deliveries.