East African Food [General]

2007 Jan 29
Greetings from Kigali, Rwanda. I thought I'd share with you an East African chicken stew (whose Kinyarwanda name escapes me right now) which I tasted at the Jambo Beach Jazz Festival in Lake Muhazi, Rwanda just this Sunday.. about 1.5 hours from Kigali. The Internet is great, isn't it?

It's made of platains, potatoes and any barn yard animals that cannot out-run the cook. :-)

2007 Jan 29
Great pic! I'm jealous of you sitting there in a tank top when the rest of us are back here FREEZING.

Speaking of East African food, has anyone ever tried Zam Zam restaurant near U of O? I pass it on my way to school and have been curious...

2007 Feb 2
Hi again:

Speaking of East African food, does anyone have a "definitive" answer on the best Ethiopian restaurant in Ottawa? Or Hull.

What was the best thing about your visit?

Cheers, Glinda

2007 Feb 2
The popular fave is Horn of Africa, which has good food but is a little grubby, however I have heard very good things about the other one that is just a few doors down on Rideau (the name escapes me, Taste of Africa or something). The newest one I have seen is Habesha on Wellington (it moved in when Ocean closed). I haven't been there yet, but all reviews on restaurantthing.com are very favourable and tout it as having superior quality to Horn.

I guess that's not definitive, lol!

2007 Feb 2
I don't know what I meant by "definitive" anyway! I saw a new one on Wellington (I think that's where Ocean was), and was thinking of trying it.

The Horn of Africa has been there for ages, and was called something else before then, even. I took my mother there in the early 90's (?)and she had fun talking in Amharic to some fellows over from Addis--well, as much as she remembered from having lived there in the fifties, when we were small.

So I guess I'm looking for "most authentic", though who can say if I can tell, having left there at the age of 3?

2007 Feb 4
I've been to East African on Rideau, the one just a few doors down form Horn of Africa....this was my first experience with Ethipian food...here is an article on them,
www.ottawaxpress.ca

Being vegetarian, we ordered the vegetarian platter which was served on one big piece of injera with various traditional foods to eat up with the injera. It was in Sept. that we went so I don't exactly remember what there all was but I do remember chickpeas, lentils, fresh lettuce salad....some of it was spicey but not too much that you couldn't feel your tongue after. They did serve extra injera too and of course, no utensils.

On their menu, they give advice on the traditional way to eat and a bit of history which I always love to read and indulge. Service was friendly, place was pretty quiet but it was a little dingy-ish. The price was very affordable, especially for 2 people, I think the bill came to only $20 something with a couple beers!

2007 Feb 4
Duckfat posted a most glowing review of East African here last December: East African Restaurant

2007 Feb 16
Last week I was walking on Gladstone Street(not so far from Bank St.) and suddenly.........I saw "Blue Nile Ethiopian Restaurant"!!

Has anybody ever been there????

2007 May 9
A couple of friends and I went last night, actually. I'm no authority on Ethiopian food, but it was really tasty and, of course, quite affordable. The tej was good, too. Delicious honey wine.

2007 May 9
Thanks for your comment. This place sounds good. I'll try Blue Nile soon since I really love African zighini'!!!!!!