Sunken Treasure [General]

2008 Nov 3
I was at a 40th Birthday party on the weekend, where we took this photo of an amazing looking cake! The baker/artist is a friend of mine, and she told me the entire thing was edible (short of a couple wood dowels for internal support). I can only say the crumbs and icing was quite delicious, as I did not get to it in time for a full piece; it disappeared very quickly once the 'knives came out'. Arrggghhh (my best pirate imitation). I chose not to revive one of the old cake threads, but just decided to start a new one. So... other cool cakes you guys have snarfed down lately?

2008 Nov 4
Okay I will be the first to jump in! Last Friday we had our annual halloween potluck at the office and most people brought some really creatively named dishes. (Crispy maggots anyone?) One of my colleagues, who is turning into quite the baker, brought in the most elaborate homemade cake I have seen in awhile. She brought a double layered apple cake with cream cheese frosting with orange food dye added and shaped to look like a pumpkin. She had also dyed some of the icing green and used it where the green veins and stem would be on a pumpkin. This cake was HUGE - about the size of an actual pumpkin and there was not a single crumb left by the time the party ended. Even though I am not much of a desert person I just "had" to try a piece-:)

2008 Nov 4
Pete-In-Ottawa - Cool cake. I assume the Birthday Boy (or Girl) was into Scuba? I love theme cakes. And although the most I've personally ever attempted was one of those shaped cake pans from Bulk Barn, I've always been fascinated by the more elaborate ones that Bakers can create. I see that the cake above has a round base to it (more cake I assume) and that it becomes part of the seabed, the underwater marzipan features are great.

Here is another theme cake, I love this one that I found on the internet, the details are so amazing, I love how the icing (fondant) is soooo smooth especially when it is made to look like tissue paper. These bakers are real artists.